Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

El Cat Round 8 renewal is live

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by SPRichard, Oct 4, 2017.

1. SPRichard

SPRichard Disciple (362) Apr 26, 2008 New Jersey

[​IMG]
    Hello El Catador Club Members,
    From the day we introduced our El Catador Barrel-aged Beer Club in 2013, our goal was to foster a community of beer lovers who would appreciate our most ambitious and interesting projects and to include as many Cigar City supporters as possible in this community. We've been vigilant about the quality of the beer first and foremost; every beer we've released to our El Catador Club members we've been proud of, and we feel that we've always succeeded in our primary goal of producing world-class beer.

We've also been attentive to the customer service portion of the club. Those who have been with us from Club #1 have seen major improvements to the sign-up process, bottle pick-ups, trustee assignments and nearly every other facet of our interaction with Club members. Based on member feedback, we have made alterations to the El Catador Club, starting in the 8th Edition.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The El Catador 8th Edition Includes:
    • 7 bottles (750 ml) of barrel-aged beer
    • A gift of one (1) 4-pack of a Marshal Zhukov’s Imperial Stout variant in cans to each El Catador Club member
      • 2 Bottle Members will receive two club gifts per edition
      • A never before canned product!
    • Access to 2 El Catador Exclusive Events per club edition
      • Tickets may be limited and be offered on a first-come, first-served basis
    • Ability to Renew at a 1 or 2 Bottle Membership
      • Regardless of Previous Member Level
    • Increased Tasting Room Benefits
      • El Catador Club members will receive a 20% discount on purchases at the Cigar City Tasting Room or the Oskar Blues Taproom in Boulder, CO
    • Additional Pick-up Flexibility
      • Members now have the ability to pick-up or assign trustees to pick-up at the Cigar City Tasting Room in Tampa, FL or the Oskar Blues Taproom in Boulder, CO
        • Once a pick-up location is chosen, it cannot be altered throughout the course of the club
    The price for a one bottle membership is now $250
    Please Note: Memberships must be renewed by EOD October 18th. After that date the only way to get back into the club is by rejoining the lottery.
    You must be signed in to be able to view this item
    Renew Today
    Members Have Asked & We're Making The Change
    Moving forward, our intention is to turn the El Catador Club twice in a calendar year. This allows our members additional time to enjoy their club benefits in the Cigar CIty Tasting Room or Oskar Blues Taproom.
    [​IMG]
    Moving Forward Editions Include:
    • 7 bottles (750 ml) of barrel-aged beer
    • 20% Tasting Room Discount
    • Access to 2 Club Exclusive Event Per Edition
    • 2 Pick-Up Location Options
    • The ability to renew at any bottle membership level
    • A gift of one (1) Marshal Zhukov’s Imperial Stout variant 4-pack of cans
    • Goal of two club rotations a year$250 For a Single Bottle Membershop
    [​IMG]
    Previous Editions Included:
    • 5 bottles (750 ml) of barrel-aged beer
    • 10% Tasting Room Discount
    • Access to 1 Club Exclusive Event Per Edition
    • 1 Pick-Up Location Option
    • A branded glass
    • Goal of three club rotations a year$150 For a Single Bottle Membershop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Copyright © 2017 Cigar City Brewing, All rights reserved.
    You were one of the lucky winners of the El Catador Club 7th Edition.

Our mailing address is:
    Cigar City Brewing
    3924 W Spruce Street
    Tampa, FL
    Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails?
    You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

[​IMG]

basto and GlasswareAddict like this.
  2. jar72404

jar72404 Initiate (137) May 31, 2009 Florida

Price is getting a bit steep. I’ll probably renew but they’re getting close to getting me to pass.

3. AltonGriese

AltonGriese Initiate (159) Aug 14, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

Money grab.

4. GlasswareAddict

GlasswareAddict Initiate (111) May 19, 2017 Florida

I'm not sure I'm going to spring for a two bottle membershop. I need to think on this.

slander420 likes this.
  5. Sphilups

Sphilups Initiate (117) Dec 15, 2016 Florida

6. DrinksAlone

DrinksAlone Initiate (123) Jan 18, 2017 Florida
    Beer Trader

$250 for 2 more bottles and 4 cans of average beer :rolling_eyes:

7. Phark

Phark Initiate (122) Feb 5, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

If you apply the same price per bottle ($30) from the previous format then that essentially values the 4-pack of cans at $40 ($10 each). Doesn't seem that unreasonable. Yes, it is an increase but not a massive one by any stretch.

8. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Disciple (336) May 13, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Awesome. I'm in!

250 - 7 bottles plus 4 MZ variants. I'm thinking 30 a bottle and 10 a can. Seems on par with previous years.

9. Nick_isthatstillcool

Nick_isthatstillcool Disciple (352) Apr 28, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

I know there will be a ton of negative comments concerning the price but I don't think an additional $100 is all that big of a jump for 2 more bottles and a 4pk of Zhukov variant cans.

10. slander420

slander420 Initiate (153) Jul 12, 2016 Florida
    Beer Trader

Looks like they are only going for two rounds per year as well, the price seems fair.

Can we assume the Zhukov cans are going to be 16oz stovepipes? They could be BA Zhuk variants too a la the Ten Fidy cans.

#10 slander420, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  11. Scarfer_Brad

Scarfer_Brad Disciple (326) Mar 19, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

price is fair, same as the lost ones, who needs a gift that you arent going to use so the cans of MZ are going to be well worth the $40 and if you can use the 20% discount that is damn good

leboffin, johnyb and Thirst_trappist like this.
  12. 305BEER

305BEER Initiate (43) Jan 4, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

I like it. Hope the events are on weekends to make it possible for people who don't live in the area.

13. mobius387

mobius387 Disciple (342) Dec 5, 2010 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

I'm out. Was borderline when it was $150 per membership. This makes the decision easy. Member from round 1, but this is too much.

If you took the best 7 beers from the last 1-2 years of catador and released them in round 8 at $250 it wouldn't be worth it.

14. 305BEER

305BEER Initiate (43) Jan 4, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

If you think zuhkov and the variants(not including hazelnut) are just average beers then I really don't understand why you would be in el Catador in the first place. Its their signature stout and probably the jump off for a lot of their other stouts.

15. HeadyTheElder

HeadyTheElder Disciple (384) Nov 3, 2012 Louisiana
    Beer Trader

The MZ cans may not be barrel-aged right?

16. OriginalFili

OriginalFili Initiate (158) May 18, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

Lets look at FY Impact, strip away the non essentials:

New: $500
    - 14 Bottles
    - 2 4 Packs of MZ Variants (more easily Tradable/Sharable if you say share a membership)

Old: $450
    -15 Bottles
    - 3 Glasses or Towels

Im fine with this new set up. Would like the option to get a 30 min advanced VIP Huna Day thing as one of the "Events."

17. DrinksAlone

Beer Trader

Yea,I don't think it's anything special. I still drink at least 1 every year but it is readily available and sits on shelves for months, at times even longer. Heaven forbid I have my opinion regarding a beer.

18. carolinabeerguy

carolinabeerguy Savant (928) Oct 10, 2005 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Why not have the NC Oskar Blues as a pickup location? Dammit.

19. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Initiate (103) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Beer Trader

Bingo. But this logic probably be drowned out by money grab whining

leboffin, The_Boone_Docks and johnyb like this.
  20. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Initiate (103) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Beer Trader

Stove pipes I thought were 19.xoz?

21. basto

basto Aspirant (240) Mar 7, 2014 Utah
    Beer Trader

I am totally in. The ability to pickup from Oscar Blues is huge... only a 7 hour drive from where I live.

BKnarr likes this.
  22. slander420

slander420 Initiate (153) Jul 12, 2016 Florida
    Beer Trader

You are right ..I am an idiot.

Thirst_trappist likes this.
  23. shand

shand Meyvn (1,417) Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

They will not be barrel aged. That said, totally in for two bottle membership. 20% off instead of 10% off over a longer period of time will be huge, and I am super stoked for Zhukov variant cans. Some sort of Push, please....

24. GoFeet

GoFeet Initiate (105) Jul 5, 2017 Florida

I'm not crazy about the price increase, but it's probably fair if you value the cans at $7-$10 each. I personally like having less rounds and thus less time waiting on the lottery. And after 3 failed attempts, I finally made it into edition 7. To top that off, I'm a 2 bottle member now! Score.

25. MJS08

MJS08 Aspirant (254) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Supporter Subscriber

I'm a re-upper. Hope they pace the releases to kinda be like a beer of the month club. And, if they stretch out 8 and 9 to reach Xmas '18, I'd be good with that. My thirst says "Hell, yes", but my credit card and liver don't quite agree.

26. djben

djben Initiate (143) Sep 4, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

Shhh stop using logic and reasoning. This is craft beer we're talking about. You're supposed to sensationalize everything and it's the norm to be completely ignorant of things like market trends and basic economics!

Phark likes this.
  27. NoleBeerNoleFun

NoleBeerNoleFun Aspirant (273) Aug 17, 2015 Florida
    Supporter Beer Trader

Guess I'm in the minority but I really like El Cat 8 Changes...Two Editions a Year with 7 Bottles seems much less "rushed" and the extra 10 percent off at The Tasting Room beats the shit out of a useless gift that ends up in the back of the closet

Thirst_trappist and randjuke like this.
  28. Craft_advisory

Craft_advisory Initiate (172) Jun 28, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

So apple brandy huna has to be in this round right?

29. Vikings1201

Vikings1201 Initiate (193) Sep 8, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

The price increase is subtle but we were already paying $30 a bottle and some of this bottles weren’t worth a fraction of that price, shit they would still be sitting on the shelves.

I’ll probably renew but it’s starting to become a decision.

30. yytle

yytle Initiate (122) Mar 7, 2016 Florida
    Beer Trader

the fact that you describe the beer's worth based on how long it sits on the shelf says more than enough about how you view the quality of a given beer.

31. AltonGriese

AltonGriese Initiate (159) Aug 14, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

Seems odd that many on the thread want to assign a value to the cans. The club CLEARLY states the cans are a "gift." The cost per El Cat bottle is increasing from $30 per bottle to $35.71. The ONLY thing you are buying when buying into this club is the right to the bottles. Nothing else. That's been clear as writing since day one. Now, individual attempts to justify the cost are fine but they are not universal.

So, the real question is, how many of the past El Cat bottles would you buy at a price tag of $30. How many would you buy at a price tag of $35.69?

CCB is full of themselves. Not that they don't have a right to charge what they want. Of course they do. But their beers are not what they must feel they're worth. And I'd say the number of past El Cat beers that were worth $35.69 could likely be counted on one hand. And that's probably being generous given the quality of similar beers coming out of their nearby competitors. I'd love to see Angry Chair start up a barrel aged club. Put some downward pressure on CCB.

However, with all that said, I DO know that those barrel aged Warmer Winter Winter Warmer's would FLY off shelves at $35.69. NO FUCKING DOUBT.

#31 AltonGriese, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Savearth, Vikings1201 and cmukid87 like this.
  32. shand

Beer Trader

1) No. It's been "clear as day since day 1" that you get more than the bottles when you sign up for ECC. Round 1 was a shirt as a "gift", and the tasting room discount. This round they turned the traditional non-beer "gift" into beer, and doubled the value of the tasting room discount.

2) Yes. I'd buy two or more of all the recent ECC bottles at a 35 dollar off the shelf price. BBWWWW was a banger.

33. DrinksAlone

Beer Trader

Wow, I must have missed when I said that is how I base "value" on a beer. In fact, I don't place any "value" on a beer other than the amount that I pay for it. I was just stating facts that it is widely available and nothing special for them to add 4 cans to this membership.

I don't come on here to argue, just move along!

34. atothesquiz

atothesquiz Initiate (25) May 2, 2011 New York

To add to shand's post, in addition to your "gift" and the 10% off, your $150 (now $250) is also paying for storage space for your bottles, someone to go fetch your bottles, fancy membership cards, website development, and external internet ticket sale vendors to sell the memberships.

If you think these associated costs are not built into the $150 then you're crazy.

shand likes this.
  35. Gsteele292

Gsteele292 Initiate (125) May 25, 2016 Florida

It's a little bit steeper, but i am ok with it. Nice to have a 4-pack of Zhukov cans, really nice to have more time to use the discount in the taproom, and a larger discount, at that, even though i don't live in Tampa. I really didn't need another piece of glassware, so that is good, rather have the Zhukov, since i buy it every year anyway! I wonder if this means they will be canning Zhukov instead of bottling for the release, beginning next year?

DrinksAlone likes this.
  36. treznor

treznor Zealot (531) Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

With the ability for anyone to move up to 2 bottles if they want and presumably opening up more spots so more Colorado people can join (though that's an assumption of course), does anyone worry about the increased production volumes?

This ^ When I saw the pickup in Boulder I got excited for a second expecting to see Brevard up next and maybe actually think about trying to join. Shipping the beer across the country has an expense as well so I'm guessing they looked at where their current members are from and made a decision to keep it to two locations. Woulda been nice, but kinda glad I don't have to choose whether to take one more hit to the wallet :slight_smile:

tanis38 likes this.
  37. shand

Beer Trader

Additionally, the "gift" is way more valuable than in the past. Comparable glasses to the ECC glasses cost 10-15 bucks. 22oz of Zhukov variant is twenty bucks. Club members are getting 48 ounces worth.

38. timw007

timw007 Initiate (132) Jul 20, 2017 Florida
    Beer Trader

I don't think the price of the bottles should be determined by dividing the overall cost by the number of bottles. I agree with the people looking at other benefits.

I made three orders on the online store this past club. My 10% discount saved me $11.50, plus I was able to purchase some BA beers that weren't available to the public.

That also doesn't include the 10% discounts I got in the tap room, or when I purchased bottles there (like the cognac Zhukov). So that might be $25 overall saved.

That means you've got five bottles at $25 each, rather than $30. But you're still not factoring in storage, administration for the club, and so on.

Also, there have been some beers in the last two clubs that probably wouldn't be big sellers if they were in the cooler at $30-35. But there are also some beers that would have sold out easily if they were in the cooler at $30-35, and probably would have sold at higher prices.

Granted, I hope all future clubs are more like the 7th edition, and less like the 6th addition. But while the bottles are the primary reason everyone is in the club, there is added value beyond the bottles that needs to be considered.

BarrytheBear likes this.
  39. Pbarg

Pbarg Initiate (179) Jul 19, 2017 Florida
    Beer Trader

BBWWWW was available for purchase online during the 7th Ed. in the El Cat section of the CCB webstore for $30/bottle. Could have bought all you wanted...

40. darkwing1

darkwing1 Initiate (186) May 13, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I don't mind the changes at all...20% off in tasting room pretty much cancel's out the increase if you get there more than a few times. Love the Zhukov variant cans, but hope it isn't hazelnut or penultimate. Hopefully they do the blueberry maple pancake treatment again!!

So based on timing to renew, along with multiple waves of lottery sign ups, it appears maybe a December 1st go live??

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.