Endangered Species List

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by keithmurray, May 13, 2020.

1. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Aspirant (223) Nov 6, 2007 Texas

That's why I don't blame breweries for this state of affairs.
    I lament the difficulty to find beers I find interesting but I blame the consumers.

I realize that breweries are discontinuing their Schwarzbiers among others because they don't sell as well as the IPAs, big stouts and others but I'm still upset when they leave.

Edit:
    That said I did have a local brewery where the owner always said he wanted some lower abv English ales in the area but he never worked to provide them.
    He also complained when fairly early in his business how few people were drinking IPAs. But then before to long he jumped onto the bandwagon and the taplist was often almost entirely hazy IPAs, big stouts, and saisons.

Who knows if the local patrons would have accepted the more sessionable beers because he never really made them.

#81 Roadkizzle, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
  2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,486) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Yup!

[​IMG]

3. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (288) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Definitely part of the equation but drilling down a few more layers some breweries made mediocre/bad versions of a style and that is why they didn't sell. In some cases consumers just flocked to what was available and when looking at tap handles and shelves and nine out of ten were IPAs they said hey, let me try a few of the IPAs.

4. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,401) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

No shit right.

5. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,718) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, some things may not be plentiful but I'd rather have just a few if they are quality examples anyway.

6. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Aspirant (223) Nov 6, 2007 Texas

There are way more breweries that I wish I could get in Texas.

I wish I could get Old Mecklenburg stuff as one example.
    Live Oak or Old Mecklenburg?

(I can't even get Live Oak normally. I have to go visit family for that.)

ManBearPat and nc41 like this.
  7. Scottsbeer

Scottsbeer Zealot (550) Nov 3, 2017 Florida
    Trader

I wish there were some readily available craft Eisbocks.

8. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,401) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Up until recently the only way to get OMB beers was to drive to Charlotte. NC distro laws were insane, but they’ve relaxed the numbers it’s out of Charlotte once again. Very small footprint right now at that, it’s not everywhere, but at least I can get the Copper Alt and Captain Jack Pils. I don’t think I’ve ever had Live Oak, most of any trading I did was into Cali, Chicago, or the Northeast.

9. JackHorzempa

Society

Yes, that is also a consideration.

But the opposite is true as well. One of my favorite beers of the past (and today when it is being poured at the taproom) is Yards ESA (especially on cask). That used to be the best selling beer for Yards but sometime in the fairly recent past their best selling beer became:

“Philadelphia Pale Ale

CITRUSY, REFRESHING, ORIGINAL

Not to be boastful, but we believe that all other ales pale in comparison to this Philadelphia favorite. Dry-hopped with an abundance of distinctive Simcoe hops, this straw-colored pale ale is more drinkable than bitter, more aromatic than aggressive.”

The craft beer masses want their hops!?!

Now Yards ESA is no longer packaged and is only available on draft (or cask) at a few venues; I have only had it at the Yards Taproom in the past couple of years.

I spoke to Tom Kehoe last spring at the Yards Real Ale event on the topic of ESA. I asked if they may ever reconsider producing this beer in greater quantities. He just shrugged his shoulders and stated: People won't buy this beer.:slight_frown:

Oh well?

Cheers!

YamBag, Bouleboubier and ESHBG like this.
  10. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (288) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Ah yeah I miss ESA also, have many fond memories of drinking that beer and turning family/friends on to it.

11. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,567) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I can't tell you what a pain in the ass it's been to get my hands on an English Pale Mild so I can tick the last beer style. It's my Everest, guys.. My Everest..

12. Ceddd99

Ceddd99 Initiate (180) May 14, 2018 Michigan
    Trader

I know it seems strange but where I live SNPA is the only American Pale Ale you can expect to find at places Meijer and Kroger and smaller liquor stores. Some places have Dale's pale ale, although at 6.5% abv and very hoppy I consider it more of an IPA labeled as a pale ale. Whole Foods used to carry Great Lakes Burning River pale ale but I haven't seen it in a while now and of course none of these are brewed in Michigan. Among Michigan brews, the only one I can think of that is locally available in stores is Dawn Street Pale Ale, which at 6.75% abv, hazy and extremely bitter/hoppy is just another IPA labeled as a pale ale. Most stores will have 30-40 different IPAs but one or maybe two APAs.

In Michigan we do have a lot of amber ales many of which are not hop forward, american golden ales as well as a plethora of brown ales and a few Belgian style ales. I just don't think a lot of these are that good though. The amber ales tend to taste one dimensional, sweet and syrupy. The golden ales are just meh and a few of the brown ales are good.

dukeandduke and Amendm like this.
  13. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (115) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

The problem is that the process used to make Eisbock requires the brewery to own a distillery license in most states. That isn’t worth doing for most brewers who just want to make a very niche style (indeed, a niche of a niche of yet another niche: normal-strength Hefeweißbier), unless the brewery is adjoined onto a distillery business as well.

14. Scottsbeer

Scottsbeer Zealot (550) Nov 3, 2017 Florida
    Trader

This is true however scraping ice off beer shouldn't be considered distilling. There are many beers at a higher ABV that are beers (WW Stout, Black Tuesday, Utopias to name a few) the process shouldn't change the fact that it is just beer.

Bouleboubier likes this.
  15. EmperorBatman

I don't make the state laws, but they are, what they are. They recognize that the act of removing some water from the product after fermentation, with the purpose of increasing its alcohol content, is a form of distilling. Similarly, Whiskey and Vodka are made by brewing a beer first, and then evaporating most of the water off of the brew. It is the addition of that extra step to intensify the drink's strength, rather than selling the finished product as-is once fermentation is concluded, that makes it legally considered distilling.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  16. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (485) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Always ‘make’ my brother take me to OMB whenever I’m visiting him in Charlotte :slight_smile:

17. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,429) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

I see them shits now more than i did 10 years ago.
    And I would kill if I could see more fresh German beers.

18. 5thOhio

5thOhio Zealot (509) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

Strong ales...hoppy AND rich in malt. Mmmm...

dukeandduke and Bitterbill like this.
  19. BeardedWalrus

BeardedWalrus Devotee (408) Jun 5, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

English strong ales in particular might as well not exist retail wise.

20. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,309) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Literally never heard of the style. I'd say its extinct

21. BruChef

BruChef Aspirant (215) Nov 8, 2009 New York

Most of this is accurate but I know plenty of new hazebros who went straight from nattys or high life to Almost exclusively murky juice bombs.

22. JackHorzempa

Society

The theory is that these beer drinkers do not want to drink beers that have any bitterness to them (or other 'traditional' beer flavors). The alleged reason that they like "murky juice bombs" is that it is reminiscent to them of the juice boxes they enjoyed as infants.

I am uncertain whether this is an 'accurate' theory but...

Cheers!

vurt, MrOH, keithmurray and 2 others like this.
  23. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,795) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Good basis for a "damn Millennials" rant, though! :grin::grin:

24. KentT

KentT Aspirant (221) Oct 15, 2008 Tennessee

In short, the Dopplebock every other aspires to being. The reference standard in German Dopplebock. Not for wussy lite beer drinkers, unless they want to fall down drunk.

dukeandduke likes this.
  25. Ceddd99

Ceddd99 Initiate (180) May 14, 2018 Michigan
    Trader

Not extinct, Hen's Tooth is still available in the USA. I guess it's a fitting name since the phrase hen's tooth implies rarity.

26. patto1ro

patto1ro Zealot (555) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

What about Old Peculier?

vurt, MrOH, TongoRad and 1 other person like this.
  27. sosbombs

sosbombs Initiate (127) Jan 12, 2016 Vermont

Ramstein has been around for much longer than 10 years. Great brewery. Greg is one of the best brewers in the USA.

TongoRad likes this.
  28. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,309) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Is that a beer or a style?

MNAle likes this.
  29. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (485) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

It would be nice if they got off my lawn every once in a while :smirk:

MNAle and unlikelyspiderperson like this.
  30. EmperorBatman

A British beer. It’s been awhile since I had it, back when I knew little about beer. I thought it was a stout back then!
    [​IMG]

31. JackHorzempa

Society

Here is how Old Peculiar is described on the Theakston website:

“OFFICIAL TASTING NOTES: One of the world's great beers - smooth, strong and mellow. Old Peculier made Masham famous - rich dark and smooth tasting, with a character all of its own. Brewed using the traditional Fuggle hop, Old Peculier is our best known beer with a large and enthusiastic following all over Britain and around the world!

UNOFFICIAL TASTING NOTES: A distinctive banana and black cherry aroma leading to a magnificent kaleidoscope of flavour. Rich, smooth and sweet.

Colour: Dark, Rich Ruby Red”

https://www.theakstons.co.uk/our-ales/permanent-cask/old-peculier/

It has been too long since I last drank Old Peculiar so I have no details that I can provide.

Cheers!

[​IMG]

32. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,785) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Not the State's, but the TTB limits the amount of water or ice that can be removed from beer.

https://www.ttb.gov/images/pdfs/rulings/94-3.htm

TongoRad and EmperorBatman like this.
  33. TongoRad

Society Trader

There's some overlap between Old and Strong Ales (Thomas Hardy's is both I believe), but it may be important to point out that Old Ale isn't a style per se; and they can run the gamut in color, flavor, use of sugars and strength. Old in this case pertains to how the beer was produced: i.e. a stored, or not fresh beer.

34. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Disciple (351) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

Its definitely "old" whenever I see it on shelves (what would it be after some further aging?)

35. TongoRad

Society Trader

Hah! I've run into a few of those as well. Theakston's doesn't age particularly well in the bottle I'm afraid.

thesherrybomber likes this.
  36. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (280) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

WBAYDN is literally 99% IPA variants and stouts.... why is this shocking to anyone?

37. JackHorzempa

Society

I have never clicked on a WBAYDN thread so thanks for providing that input (and re-enforcing my thoughts to not click on this thread).

Cheers!

ManBearPat likes this.
  38. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,795) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Except, of course, he doesn't literally mean literally. He means hyperbolically.

39. JackHorzempa

Society

Isn't that an oxymoron!?!:confused:

Cheers!

MNAle likes this.
  40. EmperorBatman

I do my part to mix it up!