Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Enlightened Despot Day (March 7th)

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by jayluf, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shilt

Shilt Disciple (395) Dec 26, 2011 Virginia
    Beer Trader

As someone who was there, I can confirm this is indeed was the case. People called the cutters out in front of the employees working the bottle sale, and they still sold those people bottles. I didn't see it, but I was told by good friends who witnessed it. Not sure anything will be done though, they sold all bottles making nearly 70K in just over 2 hours. The cutting was a real sore in an otherwise gorgeous day on the farm.

2. yourefragile

yourefragile Poo-Bah (2,149) Dec 16, 2006 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Back in my day we called that "Pulling a Captain Lawrence".

3. Dave_Treat

Dave_Treat Meyvn (1,157) Jun 23, 2012 Virginia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I was there as well. Even if one ass caused problems, the day was very well. Lickinghole staff did a wonderful job. The line was a little slow, but not unexpected. Most people were polite and did it right, don't let the one our two bad eggs take away from that. All in all, nicely done.

To Lickinghole staff, one way to improve the flow, and prevent line cutters, is to hand out numbered tickets as people arrive. The person with the ticket that is way out of order will be obvious...

LeeEvolved likes this.
  4. ghirsh

ghirsh Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Tickets would have definitely been great. I saw some people cut the line as well and that was pretty uncool. I got there at 12 and waited in line for 3 hrs to be turned away empty handed. The staff assured me numerous times that there was enough to go around, but unfortunately there wasn't. If anyone has an extra they're willing to part with I would love to work out some sort of deal. I'll be going to wicked weed later this month if that appeals to anyone.

5. DammitMike

DammitMike Initiate (157) Nov 28, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Damn dude, that is really shitty. I wasn't able to make it down for this, but hopefully someone on here can hook you up. It's terrible that an event exclusively for people 21+ attracts people like this who can't act like NORMAL FUCKING ADULTS and wait their turn in line.

jrnyc likes this.
  6. Leroymond

Leroymond Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2014 Virginia

Based on my experience at Resolute day, I knew LHC selling variants (especially vanilla) would've caused everyone to come out early for this. I got there an hour early, not expecting, but hoping to get variants. If I didn't, then cool I'd get some of the regular ED. Other than the slow bottle line. They had plenty of food trucks. They had multiple draft lines that didn't take long to get beers. They had most their beers. I got to try their Tequila barrel lime tripel, which was excellent. Bought a couple bottles of that. Cherry pie ED was good, but it didn't taste like cherry pie at all. Rum spiced quad was okay. Wasn't my favorite. Wished they had some of their Habanero Mango Brown Ale. I really wanted to try that. I had a great time waiting three hours in line with the people around me. Based on the turnout, I fully expect LHC to decrease the limits on regular ED for next year. The amount of people was absolutely crazy. I've been to LHC about four times. Two were release days (VA Black Bear and Heir Apparent). There weren't too many people and I was able to park next to the building each time easily.

Advice for the future: If a brewery is doing a BA RIS release and they are releasing a limited amount of variants at the same time, you should get there early or you will get shut out of the variants.

7. LeeEvolved

LeeEvolved Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I saw a few picks of the lines on Farcebook, and while that is awesome for the brewery, it gets pretty frustrating for people that make a decent trek to LHC to be shut out by a few of RVAs "finest" BAs who think they are entitled to first pickings from anything VA beer.

A simple ticketing policy or numbered wristband and brewery staff that don't always have a separate, friends only line out the back door would make the whole experience a better one, IMO. Of course, Lickinghole could always just make more beer... :sunglasses:

Dave_Treat likes this.
  8. ncaudle

ncaudle Defender (602) May 28, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

we hadn't planned on arriving to LHC till around 10:30-11 but we started seeing posts in a RVA forum of people already arriving by 8 so we got into the car earlier to arrive at 9:30 and wait longer... glad we did or we would have missed the variants and possibly the reg ED as well.
    had more issues with the lack of a parking plan considering most people weren't in 4x4s (and even many of those who were still got stuck...). as for cutting, it didn't help that the pour lines intersected the bottle line way up near the front giving many the simple opportunity to just "stay" there. people were even calling out the cutters but nothing was being done.

LeeEvolved and Shilt like this.
  9. Dave_Treat

Dave_Treat Meyvn (1,157) Jun 23, 2012 Virginia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Man, I took my full allotment. 11 of the regulars are already spoken for (I am sharing with regular trading partners). You are welcome to the 12th. Send me a note. I am in Centreville, maybe we can hook up.

LeeEvolved likes this.
  10. logjammin

logjammin Aspirant (232) Jan 26, 2012 Louisiana
    Beer Trader

Any word on how the variants taste? Had the regular one last year, and thought it was pretty good.

11. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (399) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I have only tried the coffee so far, but I thought it was great. Its got a LOT of coffee, and its that deep, roasty coffee that beers have traditionally used, not like the fruitier african coffee that BCBCS has been using. It goes very well with the unique taste of Despot though. I had a Vanilla Black Bear (Black Bear is the base beer) last night and thought it was great as well, so I am very excited to try the Vanilla Despot. I'm just excited about this beer in general though, I think I have to say its my favorite BBA Stout, and one of my favorite beers of any style. Its very different than BCBS and most other takes on the style though.

logjammin likes this.
  12. ncaudle

Beer Trader

we opened both the Coffee and Vanilla on saturday night.
    I was in the minority but didn't get much coffee from it. Vanilla was my favorite (some people who tried pre-release bottles said it had no vanilla and that the coffee was great - I felt the reverse...)
    ended up trading my extra Coffee for another Vanilla

13. beernuts

Beer Trader

I heard some people say that they got very little vanilla in the Vanilla Black Bear, but to me its almost a vanilla bomb.

14. jonnyybp

jonnyybp Initiate (165) Jan 9, 2015 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Does the regular version hit distro? I'm guessing no due to the limited run

15. ElGordito

ElGordito Aspirant (250) Jul 10, 2011 Virginia
    Beer Trader

The regular version sold out on Saturday.

16. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (453) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I was told by one of the volunteers that some of the regular version did hit distribution. I didn't ask for details since I don't live in VA and wouldn't likely see it anyway.

17. lillitnn92

lillitnn92 Initiate (0) Aug 22, 2009 Virginia

Their words were something like, if there is any left, it will hit distro, but they say they sold out. Unless a few cases were "conveniently" kept back. :slight_smile:

SK007 likes this.
  18. ncaudle

Beer Trader

what lillitnn92 said.
    if some does end up in distribution there will be a lot of really pissed off shut-out people from saturday!

19. ncaudle

Beer Trader

anyone else find it funny they numbered the 2500 ED bottles but not the 500 Hug or Awaken bottles?
    when asked, they said something along the lines of "why bother when there's only 500?"

20. beernuts

Beer Trader

It wouldn't be very convenient since they'd make less money on them. I really don't think we will see any in distro. I'm sure there will be kegs on tap, maybe that's what the volunteer was confused about.

21. funkybottoms

funkybottoms Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2010 Virginia

i counted and was right about number 200 in line, but the variants sold out within ten places after me, so it was definitely happening. sadly, despite my insistence that he not do so, someone i know was guilty of one of the day's more blatant acts of line-cutting, but i gave him a lot of shit about it afterwards and he made a point of selling his variants to people who got shut out (including a guy i spotted who was the first to not get any coffee).

as for the wait and everything, i'm sure this year was far beyond what they experienced last year, but after the Resolute release, i think any VA brewery that doesn't plan for getting crushed is going to be in trouble.

22. ncaudle

Beer Trader

a friend did a line count at 11 and there was already over 200 at that point. we figured pad in a good 20-30 for cutting and it was awfully close at that point for whomever showed past that.

23. beernuts

Beer Trader

Jesus in a suit?

24. ncaudle

Beer Trader

25. funkybottoms

yeah. he's actually a really nice and considerate person who was somehow totally oblivious to how much of a dick move he was pulling. afterwards he was wondering why the guys he cut were giving him so much shit and i was like, "because they waited three fucking hours in line." he's not a beer trader/ticker/whatever out to beat people to the punch; he was in a rush to get out of town for a wedding and just completely missed the point. he certainly felt bad/stupid when it became obvious how angry people became, though.

26. beernuts

Beer Trader

Haha well that was good of you and your friend to make that happen, I'm sure the people appreciated it. That was a brutally slow line, I would have been pissed if I had been just behind the cutoff point.

I think your experience is a good example of why it would be very hard for the brewery staff to police line cutting. Its impossible to tell who's just saying hi to friends and who intends to stay, who is cutting in line and who just came back from the bathroom or their car, etc. In the end, I think its just up to us to think about other people and do the right thing. Even if they did tickets, there would presumably be a time they started handing out those tickets, and I would expect some kind of line would form for that.

27. ncaudle

Beer Trader

someone in RVA created a parody FB acct named Jesus InaSuit this weekend after that whole thing brokeout. hilarity

28. funkybottoms

that wasn't a parody; he didn't want to use his real facebook account on RBE for that (go figure). any offer he's making is totally sincere and, like i said, he's already been in contact with a few people and is making arrangements to get them bottles.

29. ncaudle

Beer Trader

I'm just going by what the person who says they created the acct is saying

30. ncaudle

Beer Trader

hahaha, this is getting even funnier now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.