Entry for "Billy Beer"?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by beertunes, Nov 3, 2019.

1. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,416) Sep 24, 2007 Kyrgyzstan
    Trader

Another BA is sending me an original can of Billy Beer from the late-70s, and I want to review it. The brewery, Falls City, is out of business. What is the best way for me to enter it to the site?

2. jkrich

jkrich Meyvn (1,215) Nov 1, 2001 Florida
    Society

Wow! I grew up watching my relatives drink Falls City beer in Louisville, KY - especially in the 1970s. There is now a brewery in Louisville called Falls City. It is named after the original, but it emphasizes "craft" beer. Perhaps you could add the review to that brewery. I cannot imagine how your can of beer from the 1970s could possibly taste. I look forward to your review and observations. I wonder how many people on this site know that your beer is named for President Jimmy Carter's brother who was always embarrassing the president back then.

3. beertunes

Trader

There was a thread a couple months ago about "worst beers" (I couldn't find it just now), and Billy Beer came up. I vaguely remember having one when my folks bought a couple sixers back when it was new, but, I'm really looking forward to trying this. I've had a couple 30+ year old beers, but 42-ish will be a new record for me.

LarryV, PatrickCT, Roguer and 2 others like this.
  4. adrock314

adrock314 Crusader (719) Apr 14, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I grew up with a can of Billy Beer on the mantle above our basement fireplace. My dad never really had a good expiation for why he saved it. I always really wanted to drink that thing. I bet my folks still have it.

LarryV, Peach63 and beertunes like this.
  5. readyski

readyski Aspirant (250) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

Pretty sure the rules are clear on this - you are required to drink that (all, no drain pour now) and report back here :stuck_out_tongue::wink:

LarryV, ZebulonXZogg, Peach63 and 6 others like this.
  6. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,292) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Why don't you just review it for NBS? Everyone would love to see this. Then as soon as you figure out where to put it in the database, you could upload your review.

Cheers, and enjoy! :beers:

7. beertunes

Trader

Yeah, that's the plan. There will also be, sort of, video of me consuming it. (I don't have my picture taken, but we'll film everything but my face, and post that as well)

vurt, PatrickCT, kemoarps and 5 others like this.
  8. beertunes

Trader

Don't you worry about that, I'ma own that sumbitch.

vurt, kemoarps, readyski and 2 others like this.
  9. beertunes

Trader

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  10. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,292) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Maybe it's time to crack that Coors Light baseball bat I've been saving. :sunglasses:

GOBLIN, Peach63, TrojanRB and 4 others like this.
  11. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,518) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

It was probably this thread: https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/what-is-the-lowest-rated-beer-on-beeradvocate.622989/

Peach63, dcotom and beertunes like this.
  12. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,970) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

You on the run from the mob?

13. nc41

Trader

Lol, I bought them back in the day, saw a few empties today, they’re cool enough to collect.

14. beertunes

Trader

The mob is on the run from me.

vurt, kemoarps, Tilley4 and 10 others like this.
  15. beertunes

Trader

Dude, got two? :wink:

vurt, kemoarps, GOBLIN and 3 others like this.
  16. beertrip

beertrip Initiate (61) Feb 6, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

I have a full can of that Billy Beer and of the 4077th MASH beer. No way I'd ever drink them. Looking forward to your review as confirmation that I made the right decision.

17. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,480) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

You know the rules....gotta keep it down for at least 15 minutes....otherwise it’s a “reversal of fortune”...

18. Peach63

Peach63 Aspirant (249) Jul 17, 2019 New York
    Society

:rofl::rofl::rofl: !!!

TrojanRB, PapaGoose03 and Ozzylizard like this.
  19. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,374) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

No idea - maybe @Todd?

20. Foyle

Foyle Savant (927) Sep 29, 2007 North Carolina

21. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,157) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

If you drink that I have a magnum of Budweiser mellenium 2000 you may like. It is almost 20 years old.

[​IMG]

:wink::grimacing:

#21 laketang, Nov 3, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  22. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,518) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

See also post #44 in the link I provided in post #11. This beer is named after the wrong Billy. :wink:

23. Todd

Todd Founder (5,994) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

If it's added, it should be added under the brewery that actually brewed it back in the 70s. That location will most likely need to be added and then tagged as closed, and then the beer would need to be added and tagged as retired. After that you could do your review.

Good luck.

24. nc41

Trader

Lol, a ticker dream come true. Bet that’s past it’s ahhh.....prime if it ever had one to begin with.

25. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,867) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

To do in right (well, "right" might be the wrong word...) you should wait until you get 3 more Billy's - one from each of the other breweries - Cold Spring, West End (now F.X. Matt) and Pearl.

Pretty amazing that half the breweries that brewed Billy are still in business. That sure ain't the case for all the breweries that existed in 1978.

As for any "difference" the PR at the time said they weren't.
    [​IMG]
    The belief that it was "bad" is just nonsense*. Those four breweries knew what they were doing - they could all make a good AAL. Carter's personal favorite at the time was Pabst Blue Ribbon - which was seen as a pretty good "traditional" adjunct beer at the time. Pabst hadn't jumped on the efficiency bandwagon that Miller and Schlitz did (which killed the latter, of course). Pabst had a brewery in Georgia (in Pabst, Georgia - tho' the town reverted to it's original name of Perry once Heileman took over the facility in the early 80s) which I always thought might have contributed to Carter's opinion of it. Some stories claim Carter drank PBR over other brands mostly because he liked the delivery driver (for those who don't remember, Carter ran a gas station that sold beer).

Sure, lots of people today don't like the AAL style but, at the time, it made up 95% of the US beer market - and the "hot" style of the time was "light beer". I've seen lots of local "Billy Beer" reports in local papers and the "man on the street in the local gin mill" criticism of the beer was all over the place - "too light" "too heavy" "bad aftertaste" "no aftertaste" (come to think of it, never found a "blind" taste test, tho'). The one that I think killed it (besides, of course, the gimmicky aspect of it) was "too expensive". It was typically sold at "Premium" prices (Bud, Miller, Schlitz) and so was more expensive that the brewers' flagships - Utica Club, Falls City, Pearl and Cold Spring.

* That statement likely does NOT apply to the beer 40+ years later.

#25 jesskidden, Nov 3, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  26. nc41

Trader

I don't think I could tell AALs apart taken blind. My brother in law drinks only Bud out of cans nothing else for at least the 32 years I’ve known him. One day he went to the bathroom and I poured out the Bud inserted my Schlitz and he never missed a beat, not a clue at all he was drinking a different beer. I really think it’s in the head not the palate for the most part, it excludes the super low brands that can be shitty, so I’m talking just what would be considered mainstream beers.

27. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,147) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

This thread makes me think back a couple of months ago when we were at the Great Taste..

Doing a bottle share up in Batavia.....someone brought a DFH Malt Liquor...it was about 10 years old or so? Still had the paper bag on it... you took turns chugging out of it...it was...dreadful...oxidized doesn't begin to describe it... we finished it though. Made the train ride into the city and most of the rest of the day one I'd like to forget....whew....

emerge077 likes this.
  28. beertunes

Trader

@Todd , @dbrauneis Just entered it, using x's for the street address and 0's for the phone numbers. I'll let you know if it bounces back to me.

29. Todd

Todd Founder (5,994) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Disapproved: Adding a new entry for an existing brewery would create a duplicate entry and confusion. The beer was also brewed at four different breweries over the years, and the general rule is that beers get added under the business that owns the brand...not the business that brews it.

To make things even more confusing, the brand name lives on: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/56717/

beergoot and beertunes like this.
  30. beertunes

Trader

i didn't see it as an existing brewery. There is a brewery using that name now, but, as far as I can tell, there is no connection. @nc41 says that the can he is sending me was brewed at Falls City.

How should I proceed?

Victory_Sabre1973 and kemoarps like this.
  31. nc41

Trader

Well Falls Brewing in Louisville Ky is kinda specific.

32. beertunes

Trader

Right, but, the Falls City that made Billy, and the Falls City that's operating now are different things, as far as i can tell.

33. beertunes

Trader

Ooopsie! The "new" Falls City even claims Billy Beer on their website. I'll just add it there. Sorry for the headaches everyone.

nc41 likes this.
  34. beertunes

Trader

I do have a big bottle share coming up in a couple weeks..... :wink:

laketang and nc41 like this.
  35. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (546) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

I remember having a Billy beer that was about 8 or 9yrs old (basing this on when Carterleft office) when we found some in the garage that had been purchased by my friends dad and just left there. We drank it. Of course we were about 18 and just finding the "free beer" was more important than the contents. Can't say I remembered it. I can say that most people were not fond of it at the time.

Good luck. :nauseated_face:

Victory_Sabre1973 and beertunes like this.
  36. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,157) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Love the new location!

Shanex and beertunes like this.
  37. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,799) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

He'll need it... :nauseated_face:

beertunes likes this.
  38. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,867) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

But they sure claim to be the same company :rolling_eyes: https://fallscitybeer.com/pages/about
    "Finally, we closed our doors in Louisville in 1978." Well, yeah, but first they sold their primary brands, Falls City and Drummond Bros., to Heileman, which brewed them in their Indiana (ex-Sterling) and Newport, KY (ex-Wiedemann) plants.

After Heileman spun it off as an independent, the Indiana brewery became Evansville Brewing Co., and also had the rights to the 2 Falls City brands among other ex-Heileman brands. Then Pittsburgh Brewing Co. (Iron City), bought the Falls City and Drummond Brothers labels after Evansville folded in 1998. No idea how this new "Falls City" got the rights - PBC might have just let the trademarks lapse?

39. beertunes

Trader

"Luck is when preparation meets opportunity." Branch Rickey.

40. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,799) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

[​IMG]