Environmentally safe and inexpensive cleanser

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by GeeL, Sep 11, 2019 at 4:35 AM.

1. GeeL

GeeL Initiate (198) Aug 27, 2008 Massachusetts

Hi. I currently use a 3:1 ratio of oxy clean free and TSP (3 pounds:1 pound) when cleaning my equipment. I combine it and use 1/2 - 3/4 scoop per 5-gal keg, fermenter, etc.

The oxy clean is ok enough; however, the TSP is less environmentally friendly.

Do any of you know other options? I was thinking about Simple Green; however, it has a very strong smell.

Thanks.

Push_the_limits likes this.
  2. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (524) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

20 Mule Team borax works well for me; chemically similar to Oxy Clean and has some antimicrobial properties too. But I also miss the no longer available Sun Oxygen Cleaner.

3. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,833) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

I use oxy clean free by itself. Seems sufficient. Of course, there is PBW, and perhaps it would make more sense to spend a little more and use that.
    PS: PBW says safe and environmentally friendly right on the label!

VikeMan likes this.
  4. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,556) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

I replaced OxiClean with PBW many years ago and never looked back. For me, it's more effective and I haven't felt tempted to add anything to it.

5. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (111) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

I use PBW and am OK with it. The LHBS lets you bring you empty container back in for a 10% discount. There was some other company at HBC that had stuff that was even no rinse (I believe) but would have to try and find the info on them at home.

6. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (116) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

You can use TSP/90, which works just as well as regular TSP in my experience but doesn't actually include any phosphates, which I understand to be the primary concern with using TSP in the first place.