1. Introducing the Respect BeerĀ® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Epic/DC Brau Fermentation Without Representation - Releases

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BB1313, Aug 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (3,023) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio

This beer just starting hitting shelves in my area. I passed on it last year, but decided to try it this year. I just purchased a bottle that is stamped "Release #9", which was brewed on June 26, 2012 and bottled on July 8, 2012 (according to their website). Their website doesn't have anything about 2013 releases. I assumed I purchased a fresh bottle, so I'm pretty bummed to see it was bottled over a year ago.

Are they really distributing bottles that were brewed last year? I highly doubt the store I purchased it at would put bottles that they've held on to from last year on to shelves now, but I guess you never know. I know for a fact it hasn't been sitting on the shelf since last year. All of the beer stores in my area have recently received this beer as well. I'm not going to lose sleep over this, lol, but I'm just trying to figure out what the deal is. Has anyone recently purchased this beer? Any information would be appreciated! Thanks..

2. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

I have no useful information regarding batches, I would be interested in the information as well, I did however purchase a bottle recently from a previously release. I actually preferred the the older bottle to the fresher bottles I have previously consumed. I will still pick up fresh bottles when they drop but I certainly hope they linger on shelves allowing me to pick up for months after.

3. BB1313

Normally I wouldn't complain about a high gravity porter/stout having age on it. In most cases I think that's a good thing. But I could tell it was probably old based on the aromas, flavors and mouthfeel. I was guessing it was old before I even did the research on their website. The spices were extremely dull, which was a dead giveaway. I had no problems drinking it at all, but my senses are telling me this beer would be awesome when fresh..

4. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

After checking out my bottle, what I had was from release #8. I did not really notice a dull spice flavor. I found the Porter flavors to smooth out a bit allowing the pumpkin and spice to step a bit more into the forefront. From what I remember from the fresh bottles I had, the roast overshadowed the pumpkin and spice slightly. Granted, this is from memory and not written notes. I am more interested now in trying a new bottle in the near future to test my memory.

5. Brenden

Brenden Poo-Bah (3,555) Feb 25, 2008 Ohio
    Trader

The very latest release listed on the website, #12, was brewed July 10, 2012 and packaged July 22, 2012. Either it's intentional or they don't update their website. Since everything else is up to date, we can only assume the former. It seems they age it a bit before releasing it. At least, that's what they've done this year. I could have sworn I've had one fresh before. Someone correct me if I'm wrong; I'm just going by deduction.

6. PeterJ

PeterJ Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2012 California

My shop got cases from batch 8 about a week ago. So yes, they're delivering older bottles. Great beer.

7. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (305) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

I hawk their FB/twitter to see OTWOA availability, that's def an old one.

To be honest their porter has a lot of "muted" or "subtle" flaovrs too... DC BRau is great for fresh pale ales, I never thought the PQP or barreled PQP were much to write home about.

8. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,773) Mar 18, 2010 California

All I know is that Total Wine has these on clearance for $3.99 a bottle from last Fall.

9. BB1313

The crazy thing is the most recent release according to their website is "Release #7", which was brewed on August 27, 2012 and packaged on September 8, 2012 (according to their website). Seems like everything is ass-backwards over there..

10. Brenden

Trader

I just had to go back and look again...I completely missed that the first time. I went further to see if maybe it was just mixed up least-most recent and they show release #6 on August 10. I'm considering contacting whoever runs the site to let them know about it.

11. Brenden

Trader

It's actually a really nice, clean, navigable and good-looking website aside from that.

12. Beerpastor

Beerpastor Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2013 Ohio

I just bought one stamped #10

13. BB1313

Actually the most recent release was "Release #8", which was brewed on September 6, 2012 and packaged on September 19, 2012.. not "Release #7" like I previously mentioned.. it seems each release also has a different ABV, for what it's worth..

14. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Defender (637) Feb 2, 2013 Ohio

drinking batch 10 now so far i think it's pretty good.lets see how i feel after itd empty though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.