Equilibrium Brewery (2019)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Xerlic, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Xerlic

Xerlic Initiate (152) Aug 26, 2016 New York
    Trader

Address

22 Henry Street
    Middletown, NY 10940

Website - https://www.eqbrew.com/
    Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/eqbrewery/
    Twitter - https://twitter.com/eqbrewery

Hours

Thursday 4:00pm – 8:00pm
    Friday 4:00pm – 8:00pm
    Saturday 11:30am – 6:00pm
    Sunday 11:00am – 3:00pm

To-Go Beer

Can & bottle releases are typically held on Saturdays, starting at 11:30am. Crowler fills and tastings may be suspended during peak line times. Growler fills are not available at this time. Follow on Twitter at @eqbrewery for release info, availability and allotments.

Bottle Share

Prior to releases on Saturday, many of the regulars do a bottle share. If you do attend, be sure to only drink in the designated area.

Taproom

Equilibrium currently does not have a taproom. A taproom is currently in the works, and is TBA when it will be open. The brewery currently has a beer garden/draft tent that they set up on the weekends. There is a restaurant called Tapped that shares the same building space as the brewery, but they are not affiliated with the brewery.

Food

Holy Dog - 44 W Main St, Middletown, NY 10940

Many of the regulars recommend avoiding Tapped.

Where to find their beer

Their beer can be found on tap in various locations in Middletown. Check their website.

cavedave and rozzom like this.
  2. Darwensi

Darwensi Initiate (163) Sep 7, 2007 New York
    Trader

Thanks for kicking this off @Xerlic. I am headed that way this weekend and have also found that the EQ Fan FaceBook page is a good resource for release-day intel.

cavedave and Xerlic like this.
  3. Xerlic

Trader

Yep, good call. I 100% agree that group has a lot of good info. I just wasn't sure if putting a link to an unofficial Facebook group in the first post was kosher, and it looks like I can no longer edit the post to add it. :slight_frown:

4. Darwensi

Darwensi Initiate (163) Sep 7, 2007 New York
    Trader

I feel you. These new forum parameters are all bidness.

RobNewton likes this.
  5. jmerizio

jmerizio Initiate (108) Apr 17, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

Hello...I am thinking of heading up for tomorrow's can release. I have been to a few in the past but more towards the end of the day.

Any thoughts as to what I can expect in terms of wait time and how long the releases last? Thank you!

6. Xerlic

Trader

I'd say join the facebook group that @Darwensi posted and follow the line update thread. Sometimes it's really mellow and the beer lasts for most of the day. Sometimes the line doesn't let up and they sell out in a few hours. This release looks pretty stacked since it's all new beers, so there should be a decent turnout. On the other hand, there's a hudson valley release on the same day plus the winter storm incoming so that might deter people.

Rocktire likes this.
  7. jmerizio

jmerizio Initiate (108) Apr 17, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

Cool, thank you for that...I have requested access to the group.

8. Jlabs

Jlabs Meyvn (1,363) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

per Facebook:

This Saturday 01/26, from 11:30AM-6PM at the brewery, we are happy to announce the return of Straight Outta The Laboratory (10.2% abv TIPA) at $22 per four pack. Limit 1 case per person, limits subject to change.
    Our love of science and experimentation has us continually working to dial in our processes while in our playground (aka our laboratory) and we feel it shows in the second coming of SOTL. As you may recall, we started with the Straight Outta Middletown grain bill, supersized the citra portion, applied recent findings to achieve a beer bursting with our signature#EQjuice finish.
    Straight Outta The Laboratory pours a hazy bright tangerine and has aromas of freshly squeezed citrus, lime, grapefruit, and a tropical character that makes actual tropical fruit green with envy. The flavor is explosive with notes of bright tropical orange juice, mango smoothie, and dank grass. It’s resinous and chewy with an escalating brightness and a just a touch of residual sweetness balanced by a soft bitterness.

9. Pork-Roll

Pork-Roll Initiate (37) Jan 15, 2019 New Jersey
    Trader

Never having been to EQ but planning a possible visit for friday. It seems on the website that as of yesterday there were 6 cans and 3 bottled available. Should i be confident on being able to get some packaged goods on friday around open?

10. Xerlic

Trader

They set aside a small quantity of the weekend releases meant for locals on Thursdays. Best bet is to just check Friday morning or try to ping them on social media.

11. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (542) Aug 18, 2012 New York

They still dont have a taproom yet, do they?

12. Xerlic

Trader

Not yet. It's still a WIP. They have a tent where they serve drafts though.

13. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Savant (951) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

A temporary fix

Rocktire and cavedave like this.
  14. Xerlic

Trader

That's awesome! I stand corrected.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  15. Xerlic

Trader

[​IMG]

This beer is a dank melon bomb.

16. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Disciple (318) Jun 25, 2016 New York

17. I_can_smell_the_hops

I_can_smell_the_hops Initiate (53) Apr 2, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Excuse my ignorance - i rarely go to EQ and have a question:

Seeing on their website that they have cans available. Are these cans available today (2/15) or are they part of the release this week? Thinking of going to EQ today and want to bring back some cans. I imagine they are available today but just want to make sure before I make the trip

18. Xerlic

Trader

Those are cans they should have available. They're all releases from last week and the week before.

I_can_smell_the_hops likes this.
  19. I_can_smell_the_hops

I_can_smell_the_hops Initiate (53) Apr 2, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Been a long time since I've had EQ but man are their beers delicious. Straight Outta The Laboratory is absolutely ridiculous.

The new taproom is something though. Nice that they have a spot but I can't imagine what it's like at peak times.

bryantc3 likes this.
  20. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Disciple (318) Jun 25, 2016 New York

Anyone try BA SR1 yet?

21. sandman3479

sandman3479 Disciple (315) Dec 8, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

SUPER smooth, and a lotta wood from the barrel IMO. Very good.

cavedave, NewmansOwn and Xerlic like this.
  22. Jlabs

Society Trader

Tomorrow...

sandman3479 and cavedave like this.
  23. tinoynk

tinoynk Initiate (87) Sep 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

How's Entente? I work on the same block as Alewife where they still have cans for sale, wondering if it's worth the buy.

24. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Savant (951) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

25. jma1979

jma1979 Initiate (24) Mar 21, 2018 New York

Some info on the new space.

cavedave and sandman3479 like this.
  26. Jlabs

Society Trader

27. Jlabs

Society Trader

28. rozzom

rozzom Champion (823) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

This has got “p/b Lorenzo the beer cat, with special edition cupcakes made by mommy” written all over it

29. Xerlic

Trader

SOTL getting that dose of tose.

cavedave and jaysker95 like this.
  30. JimmyCandles

JimmyCandles Initiate (25) Nov 20, 2017 Massachusetts

I’ve never made the trip out to EQ before and am strongly considering going on a Thursday soon.

I know that they typically carry some of the previous weekend releases over, can anyone give some insight into how much is typically left? Does a line start to form before 5 on Thursday?

Also probably a dumb question so pls ignore if so, but on their IG it says they carry over releases for locals. Do they actually only save for Middletown residents or is that just what they say?

Many thanks to all in advance.

31. Xerlic

Trader

I've been on a Thursday once many months ago, so things might be different now.

First off, they open at 4 and not 5. From my own experience and from what I've seen on the FB group, there is usually a small line but nothing like Saturdays.

They say the beer is for locals because who is driving to Middletown, NY on a Thursday to buy beer. :stuck_out_tongue: They're not going to check your ID and say nah you can't buy this because you're from MA.

RobNewton likes this.
  32. JimmyCandles

JimmyCandles Initiate (25) Nov 20, 2017 Massachusetts

Thanks! Hahaha I figured that was the case but can’t be too careful before jumping in the car.

Very helpful to know they open at 4 as opposed to 5 as well.

33. Jlabs

Society Trader

34. raenge

raenge Initiate (53) Dec 31, 2016 Rhode Island

Have another Thursday question. Work is bringing me through the area this week and was planning on making my first stop here. I know that a "small amount" of saturday's release is typically held back. Does anyone know how many allotments this translates to? Should I get there right at 4 to get it?

Also, are cans of MC2 and Photon generally always available?

Thanks for any help!

35. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (180) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Out of curiosity-Why does this thread not get much action? I haven't been to the brewery (I plan to rectify that over the summer), but have really enjoyed the dozen or so EQ beers that I have traded for-

36. Xerlic

Trader

I've only been there once on a Thursday, so not an expert but I would get there as close to 4 as possible. I dunno about always, but they've had mc2 and photon a lot these past few months.

This came up in the old thread. I think the consensus was most of the action takes place on Facebook. They do have a very active Facebook group. Hudson Valley Brewery is similar in that regard.

37. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,668) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I’ve only been once before, curious if I might roll up on a Saturday at say, 3, with my baby in a stroller, grab a few four packs and get outta there quickly? Has the big bottle share morning crew usually dispersed by then? And are they making enough beer now, like OH, that they’re likely to still have cans by that point? Anyone’s two cents would be appreciated!

38. Xerlic

Trader

Yea, that crew is gone by 12-1. I'd say very likely you can roll up at 3. Sometimes their stuff lasts until Sunday. Sometimes it sells out between 2-3.

rozzom and tobelerone like this.
  39. Mineo

Mineo Disciple (373) Jul 7, 2010 New York

Unless it's a collaboration with Other Half (which brings their faithful up from the city) or something aged in barrels, you should be fine showing up at 1:30-2pm day of release. EQ releases stuff every week, so it's not as ridiculous as some other breweries in terms of stuff selling out or lines in general. Laid-back, drama-free operation for the most part.

sandman3479 likes this.
  40. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,668) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Thanks for the intel! However on baby nap schedule so arrival is likelier 3-4, think I’m pushing it at that hour?