Germany Essen

Discussion in 'Europe' started by fdrich29, Jul 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fdrich29

fdrich29 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2004 Massachusetts

I will be in Essen this week, wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I've been to Beefly, and made a few notes, just looking for more suggestions.

Thanks!

2. Bierman9

Bierman9 Poo-Bah (4,165) Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Essen? Trinken!!

Sorry, Frank... I gots nothin'... ;-)

Enjoy, though!

Prosit!

Gutes_Bier and fdrich29 like this.
  3. boddhitree

boddhitree Devotee (482) Apr 13, 2008 Germany

There is a restaurant/brewery that's pretty cool in the Rüttenscheid neighborhood of Essen. Very good German food and the beer is fresh, but it's been 5 years since I've been there. The Rüttenscheid area of Essen is the Greenwich Village of the city. The place is called Rüttenscheider Hausbrauerei. As typical of places like this, they make only 3 beers, a Pils, a Dunkeles, and a Weizen, at least that's all they had when I was there 5 years ago.

Otherwise, I suggest you go to Dortmund, which is only a few kms away by S-bahn and visit the Deutsches Brauerei Museum, which is in the old DAB (Dortmunder Actien-Brauerei) area.Other than that, enjoy the wasteland of variety that's the German beer scene.

fdrich29 and JackHorzempa like this.
  4. einhorn

einhorn Aspirant (292) Nov 3, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

If you're going to get on the S-Bahn and travel a bit, you might as well head to Düsseldorf or Köln. If you want to add the sightseeing and fun-factor elements into the mix, I prefer Köln.

5. boddhitree

boddhitree Devotee (482) Apr 13, 2008 Germany

Agreed, but I prefer Düsselforf for the great Alts. Two good guides are by Ron Pattinson are here of Köln and Düsseldorf, as well as his guide to Dortmund's pubs. I've used all three and had great drinking times. Be sure to tell us what you eventually do and drink. Also, Essen's regular big boy brewer, Stauder, who have a good if not spectular Pils, is worth trying, and maybe unavoidable when going out in Essen.

6. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Disciple (389) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

Funny, this is why I'd recommend Düsseldorf. Less to get in the way of the task at hand.

WhatANicePub likes this.
  7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,782) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

Another example where somebody is in a city in Germany and asks” where can I get good beer?” and the answer is ‘hit the highway’ and go someplace else.

The Berlin Bier Shop should open a store there and call it the Essen Bier Shop.

Cheers!

8. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Disciple (389) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

As sort of alluded to above, "Essen Bier Shop" literally translates to the "Eat Beer Shop".

9. einhorn

einhorn Aspirant (292) Nov 3, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

Memories of Karneval and the Kölner Altstadt kept me coming back. Plus I thought he might suggest seeing the Dom as an excuse to hopping on the train and getting some fresh Kölsch.

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  10. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,782) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

As long as they sold a wide selection of good beer I would buy from a store called the Eat Beer Shop. But that is just me.

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.