Ever Had a Bottle NOT Worth the Price?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by HeyItsThatGuy, Aug 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeyItsThatGuy

HeyItsThatGuy Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2016 Illinois

Nowadays, we have a lot of expensive beer in our lives. Now, this isn't a post about WHY some of these beers are priced the way they are because that can easily be understood. I just want to know if anyone's ever had a bottle of expensive and supposedly premium beer that they felt was truly not worth the price that they paid for.
    And why was that? Was is simply not you style? Was it infected? Or did you think that the price of this beer simply did not measure up to the quality.

I would prefer responses involving bottles priced at $19.99 and above but feel free! :grinning:

2. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

Eclipse & the variants. Solid BA Stout(s). Just so many more enjoyable ones out there at about half the cost.

Bruery Aniversary Series. Same reason. Except for BOIS. BOIS was awesome fresh & aged.

Cascade everything. Same reason. Although price per ounce isn't as bad in comparison to others in the style, as the two mentioned above.

No offense to these beers. They were all very enjoyable. Just didn't measure up to the price tag for this BA.

OP - you can't start this thread without including your own examples..... ;-)

#2 RBassSFHOPit2ME, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    larryi86, VABA, BuffaloBill12 and 3 others like this.
  3. shyblee

shyblee Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2015 Iowa

I've never had it, but I will never pay $29.99 for a bottle of GI Gillian.

4. HeyItsThatGuy

That's the thing, I havent had a bottle over 19.99 that I didn't think was worth it! :grinning:
    That's kinda why I made this thread, though I once had a 17.99 bottle of Desthil's Excommunie Trois that was infected, Yuck!

5. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,867) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

I think I paid $18.99 for a 22-oz Caldera Mowgli. Good beer, but worth about half that price

Shanex likes this.
  6. CBrodbeck

CBrodbeck Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2014 Florida

Most of the Cascade bottles I've had fall into this category. Really good beers, but at $35 bucks a bottle, I just can't stomach it. Especially with the amount of really good sours/wild ales being produced now that are priced much more reasonably.

Shanex, alucard6679, PbFarmer and 4 others like this.
  7. kell50

kell50 Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2007 North Carolina

Brooklyn Black Ops.

I remember buying at 750ml bottle a few years ago at around $22. It's not a bad beer, but (in my opinion) it's in no way worth that dollar amount. Not much barrel or richness. Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout goes for about $9 a 4pk.. Amazing beer/value at that price!

8. rphx88

rphx88 Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2014 Arizona

Yea I see all of those GI wine bottle beers sit at the shops around me. Apparently the shops have to carry them or they won't get Bourbon County.

But back on topic here.
    My example is the Velvet Merkin from Firestone Walker. Pricey for my budget and was kind of a letdown. Maybe I put too much hype on it myself but I am trying FW's Helldorado and Stickee Monkee this year so I hope they are better.

Gemini6 likes this.
  9. semibaked

semibaked Zealot (579) Mar 27, 2007 Illinois

Everything from Fantome

10. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,086) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

To me, these beers are more like wine than the common understanding of what is beer. Cascade beers are to be savored, with food and family. I had a Blueberry Ale (2 bottles) with a fresh made Blueberry pie from fruit in the yard. Dessert before the craziness. This was the 4th of July two years ago, at about 3600 feet of elevation. Not a soul there thought the beer was too expensive. Cascade can really be considered a value in wine terms.

11. HeyItsThatGuy

But....it's beer. :grinning:

12. A_Rad

A_Rad Initiate (0) May 8, 2015 Wisconsin

Not $20+ but FFF Alpha Kong and everything by Prairie (except Bible Belt) was not worth what I paid IMO.

Gemini6 likes this.
  13. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Savant (977) Nov 19, 2011 Kentucky
    Trader

Shout out to hoppin frog who produces about 30 different $15 bombers and none are worth half of that.

Gemini6, FBarber, Kadonny and 10 others like this.
  14. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Meyvn (1,320) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

NB Transatlantique Kriek, i think i paid like $20+

disappointed but still wasn't bad, def not worth the price tag

15. bgold86

bgold86 Crusader (753) Apr 1, 2015 New York
    Trader

There are many, but ground control and ba ground control take the cake.

16. Junior

Junior Crusader (744) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

A little under $20 per, but No Rules, in my opinion was not worth it. A beer I did not enjoy at all.

17. Hoppy_Time

Hoppy_Time Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2016 Maine

I've had some Allagash beers where I thought 'Hmm they make a similar beer at half the price' was the more expensive one better? Yeah, but not twice as good. I've specifically avoided Cascade beers because of their price tag, hard telling not knowing but I'd bet there are comparable beers on the same shelf at 1/4 the price.

ericwo likes this.
  18. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,634) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Anything Hoppin Frog, or Ballast Point. Don't like BP for the most part in any beer even if it was half price. Price point isn't an issue, I just don't like their beers and they're pricy. Hoppin Frog beers are good just over priced.

19. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

No, I never have and there's at least one beer that I paid $70 to get two 750 ml bottles.

I'm cheap.

Before I spend big bucks on a beer I've done enough homework on the flavors, etc. to know in advance whether I expect to like the beer.

So far the reviews on this site by trusted reviewers whose tastes are similar to mine have been invaluable in making the final decision on whether to buy or not to buy.

LeRose and SovietBillCosby like this.
  20. zid

zid Meyvn (1,242) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

You've bought "everything" from Fantome even though you don't think they are worth the price? :wink:

21. fehrminator

fehrminator Devotee (410) Jan 26, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

This has happened more times than I care to count. Some of the standouts:
    1. Lost Abbey/WW Ad idem - Didn't want to do it, shouldn't have done it, regretted it almost immediately.
    2. 2015 Rare - Vastly overrated. Didn't hold a candle to og rare.
    3. 50N 4E - I can't remember how much this cost (answer: a lot) but suffuce it to say that I wouldn't do it again.
    I've gotten to the point where if a beer is $20 or more, I won't buy it unless the ratings are world class. Now if raters would just stop inflating the ratings of rare and expensive beer...

RBassSFHOPit2ME and shanrath like this.
  22. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,347) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Yeah and, as much as we'd all like to view it as "the common man's drink," it's unfortunately not the case anymore. Low supply caused by higher quality and therefore higher demand results in higher prices. I'm in the biz as I've seen from other posts that you are also, and quite a few times I've had customers look at a 750 mL bottle of beer and say "That's a beer?" Even today, amidst the second craft beer boom that's exponentially larger than the first, people still have trouble wrapping their heads around the thought of beer demanding price points even close to that of wine. But we're there and it's not going to get any cheaper as long as people keep buying it. And there's no sign that that's going to slow down anytime soon.

And, to contribute to the thread, sure there are a number of beers I've bought that the enjoyment did not correlate to the price per ounce that I paid for them (a $10 bottle of DFH Higher Math immediately comes to mind) but to try and recall the prices for all of them would be impossible and a lot of them were infected, the analogy in the wine world being a corked bottle. Or, on the flipside, I've not enjoyed beers that were actually great, but I just wasn't ready to enjoy them yet, such as the first three or four Gueuzes I ever had. My point is, just like in the wine world, you have to be ready to go through a lot of trial and error when it comes to purchasing. If your wallet isn't ready for that, you should probably just play it safe and buy more affordable beers that you've had already and know you like or go to local breweries who have fresh, decent and cheap beers readily available.

#22 Immortale25, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    fehrminator likes this.
  23. CBrodbeck

CBrodbeck Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2014 Florida

Perspective and setting obviously play into the "value" of a beer. You had a perfect experience, paring the beer in harmony with food and family. For you, in that situation, I get it. But most of us grabbing a bottle of Cascade aren't looking for a locally sourced elderberry pie to pair with it. We just need a small line of credit and an excuse to our wives why we bought a $35 sour beer instead of a nice chardonnay.

RBassSFHOPit2ME, PbFarmer and rgordon like this.
  24. HermitDan

HermitDan Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2016 New Jersey

Anything Sour by Captain Lawrence in singles/bombers. Their Sour Strawberry is one of the worst beers I've had in awhile. Think it was like $17

25. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,004) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

They're a couple of bucks cheaper here, so not such a bad deal. My issue with them is that if you look at it, it is 30 variations of the same beer. They're just diluting their own sales - how about narrowing it down to the 4 or 5 best and most popular and call it good? The other issue for me is their all-bomber packaging. I don't mind a bomber now and then, but not all the time. Can't understand why they wouldn't offer their more popular beers in 12oz.

#25 bbtkd, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  26. skiking70

skiking70 Aspirant (241) Sep 23, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

For me I often find that The Lost Abbey sells their beer at a much higher price than I feel it's worth. I too agree that Cascade is at a price point a tad too high. Both of these breweries produce fine beer, but the cost is inflated imo.

RBassSFHOPit2ME and colby600 like this.
  27. 67couple

67couple Aspirant (246) Jan 31, 2006 South Carolina

Had someone give me a free bud and still felt ripped off.

hoptheology, paulys55, Jmorey and 2 others like this.
  28. Breaking_Beard

Breaking_Beard Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2014 Michigan

Anything and everything distributed by shelton brothers.

29. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,225) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

Yeah. Great Divide BA Yeti. Good beer, but at $26.99 a bomber I don't think I'll buy it again.

FBarber and diddy4l like this.
  30. BeersandBread

BeersandBread Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2016 California

I feel stickee Monkee and Helldorado were awful this year. Low ABV and watered down taste because of it.

31. ClePaul

ClePaul Zealot (576) May 30, 2013 Ohio

I wanted to use the snakry... "Yes, I have had Hoppin' Frog" but you beat me too it.

I saw a $30 bomber from them. Haha!! Might have been $25. Even the store owner who pushes everything when plausible was laughing and asking how he'll ever sell it. I said good luck and took the case of Sierra Nevada 'Fallpack' for the same price. Hmmmmm, 22oz's or 24/12oz's. Was a tuff call.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  32. thatoneguymike

thatoneguymike Meyvn (1,149) Sep 18, 2012 Georgia

Sad to say, but there are a lot of brews out there now that aren't worth the price they command. Even more sad to say, a good majority of us have become desensitized to the sticker shock and just realize that if we want to try the beer that we have to fork over the change to do so. When I saw the OP's $19.99 criteria to be included, my head was swimming with options to use for discussion.

A perfect example is Wicked Weed...while I'm a definite fan, they pump out new beers what seems like every couple of weeks or so, and then they're priced at or around $15 or more for a 500mL for their 'shelfies', and then $20 or so for their 500mL Angels and Cerises. They're usually pretty damn good but I don't know that they're as good as their price commands, but it is what it is.

On the other hand, it's refreshing to see breweries like de Garde bring the heat on most everything they do while keeping prices lower and reasonable and compensating their employees fairly at the same time.

33. dutesanch

dutesanch Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2014 California

FW Rye ddba is good but not $29.99 good.

nvbrew likes this.
  34. theonegman

theonegman Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2016 Michigan

Why can't every beer be like lagunitas imperial stout and gnarlywine. 4.99 a peice! For a 22 oz

35. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Yes everything over 10 dollars. Without trying sound so harsh that really is true. Now will I buy bottles form belgium, and germany and singles like ola dubh? Of course. In some ways it's magic that high price. I mean you wait and look for something extra and special for this or that reason. I set my purse strings a little looser for the threads we are all enjoying and the styles in them. I like beer aged in wine barrels and those can be a little extra and bombers only.

36. Homers_Beer_Odyssey

Homers_Beer_Odyssey Initiate (0) Jun 17, 2014 New York

Super Kitty
    any Cascade
    120 Minute

37. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Disciple (321) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

Besides many mentioned here that I agree with..... I'll add DoS brunch. Many really enjoyed it but for 35 dollars there are better beers out there in similar style.

38. theonegman

theonegman Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2016 Michigan

All evil twin beers in the state of Michigan. So ridiculous.

Gemini6, red94tt, sculls65 and 4 others like this.
  39. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,407) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Mikkeler
    Almanac
    Hoppin Frog

40. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (644) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

The Bruery, 8 Maids a Milking. I never felt compelled to describe a beer as slimy until drinking this. I presume the cause was some heavy lactose additions.
    Valiant Brewery, Chernyy Medved. You could recreate this beer with a 2:1 mixture of cherry cough syrup and espresso.

Agreed. If Evil Twin put as much effort into brewing as they do naming beers they might make something good.

Gemini6 and gopens44 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.