Ever had a brewery right a wrong?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TheBeerdedCharmer, Mar 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RBCORCORAN

RBCORCORAN Initiate (0) May 18, 2009 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

Only once . I contacted Slumbrew to let them know that a local store had out of date flag raiser sitting on the shelf and I had bought one without checking the date . With in 2 hours they got back to me with an apology and said they would take care of it. Few days later a fresh off the bottling line bottle showed up at my door along with a nice pint glass .

woemad likes this.
  2. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (489) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Similar thing happened to me with a microbrewery I wanted so badly to love is STL. I bought bombers of a IIPA I had on tap there and when I got home they were mislabeled and contained a brown ale that I did not enjoy. Next time I was in I brought the issue to the attention of the owner and he pretty much told me that I had no idea what im talking about..... nedless to say I refuse to purchase or drink their beer anymore.

woemad, cavedave and 5thOhio like this.
  3. Beardaxe

Beardaxe Initiate (49) Sep 29, 2014 Connecticut

I actually contacted Central Waters yesterday about the 356 batch of BBA Stout. It had some off sour flavor that tasted infected to me and I let them know. They replied within 30 minutes stating that some of the 356 batch developed off flavors and offered to reimburse me what I paid (even though I didn't ask).

NotHereForGold and Benish like this.
  4. stakem

stakem Poo-Bah (5,737) Feb 20, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

The Bruery has issued refunds a couple times for beer that has gone bad. My trustee has even picked up my allocations and shipped them to me only to find out they gave me wrong vintages of the bottles I ordered. They even made good on that error. Recently there has been issues with taproom staff not appropriately filling growlers all the way full and they have been supposedly correcting that with staff training and issuing refunds.

Ive had brewers/owners read my reviews and offer to send replacement cans/bottles for the bad experiences ive encountered with their product.

Pipeworks gave out free glassware to those whom bought their first Berliner that ended up being terrible.

I had a bottle of baby tree from Pretty things explode in my cellar. I contacted then via email and they said they would issue me a refund...that never happened.

woemad likes this.
  5. cujocon

cujocon Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2015 Massachusetts

This past summer I bought an Orval Trappist that was aggressively carb'd...(it blew up upon opening). I tweeted about my sadness and was contacted right away with offer to replace or refund. They asked for purchase location, bottle date info, and asked about any off flavors. They continued to email me for weeks explaining that they tested from the batch and didn't find any issues, but suggested it was stored in the market incorrectly. They ultimately sent me a great orval glass that I now use for all of my tastings.
    Great folks, and the distributor was fantastic as well - Merchant du Vin.

woemad and Benish like this.
  6. 5thOhio

5thOhio Zealot (510) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

ON the other hand, I bought some Thomas' Creek somethingorother a while back that had gone bad. Contacted the brewery and they offered some swag, hat & etc. In my opinion, me wearing free advertising for them doesn't compensate for losing $10 on a six pack.

7. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (489) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Just playing devils advocate but depending on what they offered you could have been looking at 20 or 30 dollars worth of gear.

8. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (258) Mar 28, 2011 New York

hmm - i see a few names popping up here multiple times - its great that things can be sorted out but if they are too many of these instances maybe that's saying something about their operation?

cavedave likes this.
  9. Mike_Aguirre

Mike_Aguirre Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 Mexico

I´ve bought two beers from a nano brewery in my state, both of them were contaminated. I opened the first one and was disappointed, but gave them a chance, then I opened the second one (from another batch) and It was awful. I contacted the brewery and they gave me excuse after excuse and even blame me, never acknowledging their mistakes, I´ll never buy their beer again.

Franziskaner and cavedave like this.
  10. Axic10

Axic10 Defender (639) Mar 15, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

Great Divide was awesome when I had 2 bottles of infected BA Yeti a few years ago. I contacted them via e-mail and got a response within a day offering to reimburse me for what I paid or they would send me a bottle of BA Old Ruffian for each bottle of BA Yeti that was infected. I picked the bottles and they made things right!

Franziskaner likes this.
  11. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,474) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

Victory - a six pack of Dreamweaver tasted pretty darned sour to us. Contacted them via e-mail and they had the sales rep collect up the product in the store and replace our sixer free of charge.

Jack's Abby - didn't do anything specific but handled the information professionally and correctly in my opinion through appropriate dialogue. Had a bottle with a serious gouge on the outside (noticed after opening). The response, I felt, was completely appropriate. From my end, it was more of a hey head's up you might have an issue with glass or equipment. From there end, sum it up as "holy crap...thanks".

I'm on the receiving end of consumer complaint investigations often enough - they are less than zero fun, and I'm sure some of you might be surprised about how many are outright hoaxes or scams and the levels to which things can escalate regardless of legitimacy. The hoops o' fire we have to jump through as a CPG company are extensive and expensive. So I treat any complaints I make professionally and courteously, provide the data I know they need to investigate as the supplier. There's a right way and wrong way on both ends, in my opinion/experience.

Not beer, but Cape Cod potato chips gave us like a six month supply of products and coupons when I reported a "foreign material" in a bag o' chips. Dannon, on the other hand, gave us a thank you note for complaining about the lids on some yogurt not being properly sealed my company makes a similar package and I know lid stock failure when I see it) and a 50 cent coupon...responses vary.

utopiajane and TheBeerdedCharmer like this.
  12. Sludgeman

Sludgeman Poo-Bah (2,208) Aug 17, 2012 District of Columbia
    Society

Yep, 21st Amendment Brewery. Noted a concern (via email) about the quality of one of their beers (just one can from a six pack - can't remember which brew). Contacted the next day. I now have a nice t-shirt.

Always impressed with a higher standard of customer service. Doesn't have to be free stuff, but a personal response, some acknowledgment and concern of the issue and an apology goes a very long way. Mistakes happen but taking the customer for granted will lead me to another supplier.

13. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Champion (840) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Must have been one hell of an issue for Victory to fix Troegs' beer.

14. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (453) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Great stories here -- one thing that struck me -- this notion that a single or a few beers from a batch can "be bad" but the rest of the batch is fine doesn't sound plausible to me. My sense is that usual cause for this is age/shelf skunk (not really a bad batch) or some other drinker error (i.e. beer fine -- tastebuds/perception/expectation wrong/not met etc).

15. LehighAce06

LehighAce06 Champion (815) Jul 31, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I opened a bottle of Port Brewing Barrel Aged Santa's Little Helper to find a glob of coagulated protein (looks like snot, is actually 100% harmless) and contacted them about it because at the time it put me off, I had a hunch it was benign but I wanted to hear them tell me so.

They were quick to respond with the expected explanation that it was a known issue and harmless, but that they wanted my address anyway. I received a really nice care package with some glassware and a couple shirts. Great customer service, cemented me as a customer of theirs.

Franziskaner and Tsar_Riga like this.
  16. waratdenison

waratdenison Initiate (73) Sep 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Had a great experience with perennial. Had two bottles of infected fantastic voyage, emailed them and they responded quickly apologizing and then sent we two new beers and a bottle opener. Pretty amazing that they did this. Love their beers and their attitude.

Franziskaner likes this.
  17. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Initiate (188) Jun 21, 2009 Virginia

Ordered some Cascade sours online and one of the bottles was incorrect. They promptly responded to my email, sent me the correct bottle and told me to keep the other one. Also threw in a t-shirt. It's too bad they suspended online orders.

Franziskaner likes this.
  18. LeRose

Society

Shit....too late to edit it now...

pinkgrenade likes this.
  19. slm728

slm728 Initiate (0) May 5, 2014 Virginia

I traded a bottle of resolute and it blew up on the guy within about 5 hours of the trade. I felt really bad, but knew i did nothing wrong. he ended up contacting 3 brothers and they were happy to replace the bottle no questions asked. i picked it up at the brewery for him and included it in a different trade

20. LeRose

Society

Edited to correct a senior moment...Dreamweaver is, of course, a Troeg's beer....

21. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,690) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Both New Belgium and Odell have done great things when I've had issues with their beers.
    Breckenridge...not so much. :slight_frown:

22. CurtFromHershey

CurtFromHershey Disciple (396) Oct 4, 2012 Minnesota

A rep from Unibroue contacted me after I had mentioned on here a few instances of getting flat bottles of theirs from a local bottle shop. They ended up sending me a really nice cookbook, and I have since purchased their beers multiple times.

utopiajane likes this.
  23. Sponan

Sponan Initiate (192) Jan 20, 2008 Tennessee

Heresy being infected again is still a concern. Had issues with Heresy, Insanity, and Blasphemy last year.

24. MasCervezas

MasCervezas Initiate (66) Oct 15, 2014 North Carolina

Went to Red Oak a few years back for their dopplebock release. Got a growler of that and Hummin' Bird. Once we got home we noticed the dopplebock growler had a large crack in it. Sent them an email with a pic and they told me to come in for a new one. Also had Starpoint contact me on untappd about a kellerbier that was severely out of date. The guy asked me what store I got it from and said next time I was in town to come visit and they would give me a fresh one...just never had the time to get out there.

25. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (11,611) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Dogfish Head - immediately handled!!! I wasn't even asking for anything, I just wanted to let them know what was going on.

26. PlatonicOtterLuv

PlatonicOtterLuv Initiate (117) Oct 23, 2014 Minnesota

Deschutes refunded me for infected beer 18 months after I bought it at their brewery, and their reply was swift and thorough. Handwritten note mailed to us to boot!

However, I've actually had more neutral/poor experiences with 4 other breweries on quality issues. Local and national breweries either ignored my comments, or when they responded to my note of infected beer, flat beer, or flat out the wrong beer packaged with another label, they just tell me that they don't have a "bad batch" or "substantiated" quality issue and essentially skirt my complaint.

Oh well, four less places I buy beer from.

27. Phramboise

Phramboise Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2013 Kentucky

I e-mailed Jeppe from Evil Twin with a valid concern and he completely blew me off. I still love their beers but tread lightly now-a-days.

28. JimmyGuy

JimmyGuy Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2014 New York

Not a fan of Singlecut - the owner is a douche

29. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,163) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

I'm living in Utah and my dad picked up some New Glarus Berliner Weiss back in Wisconsin. He was planing to ship them to me. However I was a bit worried with the carbonation issues. I contacted New Glarus by email - just asking if its safe to ship the Berliner Weiss halfway across the country due to the carbonation. I was expecting just a simple response. Lo and behold Dan Carey responded to my email! He suggested not to have my dad send this. Instead he ask what kind of beer I like and he'll send it to me. To UTAH!!! New Glarus ended up sending me two four packs of Old Bruin! I even warned Dan about the ridiculous state laws and the risk of mailing to Utah. He still did it! This was the least of my expectations. I'm speechless!

30. Burt

Burt Crusader (712) Nov 27, 2005 Rhode Island

Bought a keg of Loose Cannon, hooked it up and poured something that looked like, and sort of smelled like it but definitely did not taste like Loose Cannon. Posted it asking if they changed the recipe or if I got a bad batch. Got a call from Hugh at Heavy Seas which was very surprising, he said that they screwed up on the the identification disk that was put on. Really nice guy, sent me a t-shirt and a couple of other things. Brought the keg back to my shop and got another on the was just heavenly as Loose Cannon can be.

31. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,361) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Bought an extremely overcarbonated bottled of Double Barley's Thrilla in Vanilla. Contacted the brewery. They not only sent me a replacement bottle but also a bottle of their Holiday Ale, a can-shaped glass and some stickers. Awesome customer service.

Also Triple C made good on the infected bottle of Dude Imbibes I had bought by sending me a bottle of their BA Chocolate Covered Pretzel stout. Great guys.

32. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Aspirant (238) Mar 22, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

I had a gushing bottle of Square Grouper and @NOTpipeworks sent me a BM. That's about as far as it got. They're busy dudes though, so I understand. I still enjoyed the beer and still love the brewery.

33. deweese

deweese Aspirant (204) Jan 6, 2013 Missouri
    Trader

Bought a 4 pack of Myrcenary, that to me smelled awful and tasted just as bad. Put a few days in between each bottle to see if it was just me but they were all horrible. Contacted Odell to let them know in case it was a bigger problem... to try to prevent it for happening to anyone else. A quality control manager got back to me and even sent the tasting notes of that batch. He said everything seemed fine with the batch. Odell went ahead and sent me a shirt and a check for the amount of the beer. I did not ask for anything or request reimbursement, just wanted to give them a heads and they did that anyway. Just wanted to share because Odell is one of my favorite breweries and to show how AWESOME they are.

Franziskaner likes this.
  34. MasterSki

MasterSki Poo-Bah (6,749) Dec 25, 2006 Canada
    Moderator Society

100% agree with this comment. I've had nothing but positive experiences with 3 Floyds. Just because you don't like a beer doesn't entitle you to a refund. Those beers delivered what was promised by the descriptions furnished; whether or not the concepts were good is a purely subjective matter.

3 Floyds has bought back infected beers (BA Moloko, Floyd d'Rue, etc.) with additional compensation for the hassle, and they replaced my exploding Brandy Dark Lord no questions asked (by mail, no less). Always get great service at the pub too.

Franziskaner likes this.
  35. DaveOrlowski

DaveOrlowski Initiate (153) Mar 11, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

Both Central Waters Brewery and Stone Brewing handled the issues I had like a champ each in their own way.

Stone sent me a great swag pack with glasses, a bag and other goodies. @StoneGreg

Central Waters had a check in my hands within a week, and it wasn't even their fault to boot!

Great great customer service at both places!!

StoneBrewing likes this.
  36. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (258) Mar 28, 2011 New York

pretty strong statement - you really should elaborate if you are going to put it out like that.

5thOhio likes this.
  37. ari32

ari32 Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2013 Georgia

I did the same thing with New Belgium and Cocoa Mole. When it disappeared the first time around, I contacted them through their website telling them how much I had enjoyed the beer and inquired when it would be back. The lady (I can't remember her name and have since deleted the email) said thanks for being a customer and contacting them. She told me that it would definitely be brewed again, they just weren't sure when. After a while, I gave up hope...

Lo' and behold, ~3 years later it has made its triumphant return. I was honestly afraid I wouldn't like it as much since my palate had surely changed over the years. I cracked open my first bottle of it this year and it tasted almost exactly how I had remembered it. It was a joyous reunion. It may not be one of my favorite beers anymore, but it still holds a special place in my heart.

38. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

Bought a 32oz of Sucks that I didn't notice was 5+ months old. Told Lagunitas and they sent me a box with two Lagunitas mason jars, sunglasses, and a deck of cards. They also said they would pull the old bottles (breweries always say that though). But I guess that was pretty cool. I informed Uinta about a similar thing with Hop Nosh and they got back to me saying they would send me something but never did. Oh well.

39. ZachOfAllTrades

ZachOfAllTrades Initiate (80) Dec 30, 2012 Indiana

Daredevil had some under-carbed cans come out when they first started canning Lift-Off and I ended up with a couple of them and mentioned the issue on untappd when I drank them. I was contacted there and emailed them at their request. They apologized and sent me a shirt along with some stickers and coasters. Pretty cool as far as I'm concerned, and I haven't heard or experienced any other issues from them.

40. chimneyjim

chimneyjim Initiate (170) Jun 23, 2004 Oregon

Had a can of stout that bulged and sprang a leak. I brought it to the attention of the brewery. The response: "I know you are far away, but if you print this out and give it to us at the brewery here in Astoria we will replace that beer with one that is behaving much better." Gee, thanks. I have not rewarded that brewery with a purchase since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.