Ever turn down a hyped beer you've never had before?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cmiller4642, Jul 12, 2018.

1. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Aspirant (259) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

I was at Pizzeria Paradiso in Old Town Alexandria 2 weeks ago and they had Abraxas and Sump bottles, but... nah.

1. It was 95 degrees out in sweltering humidity
    2. Sump was $42 and Abraxas was $45 (750 ml)

I went with some local IPA's and was happy with my choice

2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,836) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania

Yeah, for $40 something bucks I'd turn them down as well. I never pay restaurant/bar prices for expensive beers.

3. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (784) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

"Turned down" =/= "Didn't buy".

Just sayin'.

4. cmiller4642

I had the money for them, but yes I didn't buy them I wasn't offered one.

Mvsmvs92 and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  5. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (784) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

I've definitely been to stores that had (over)hyped beers and left without them, but I've also been to tastings where there were very hyped beers that I just wasn't interested in. I could have had some or stayed until they were opened, but I just wasn't interested. FWIW, I don't feel like I missed out on anything special even though some of these beers were ones that I hadn't had in the past.

6. jcos

jcos Initiate (194) Nov 23, 2009 Maryland

Yes. If I'm at a bottle share and don't really love the style of a hyped beer I might not have it. I also tend to avoid any beers with lactose in them as they don't seem to agree with me.

FWIW, I'm not really interested in having any beer over 7% or so in the DC area until October, it is just too hot around here.

7. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,951) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

Oh sure, for a variety of reasons, usually the style but price also plays a part.

beergoot, spongebob2, EMH73 and 4 others like this.
  8. threeviews

threeviews Zealot (554) Apr 18, 2011 Florida

@cmiller4642
    Like you, I had the money...but I have passed on many of (arguably) hyped beers:
    - Utopia - Sam Adams
    - Double Barrel Jesus - Evil Twin
    - Michigan Maple Jesus - Evil Twin
    - Speedway Stout (canned) - Alesmith
    - Piraat, Rum Barrel-Aged - Van Steenberge
    - Gulden Draak - Brewmaster's Edition (aged in Whiskey Barrels) - Van Steenberge
    - Chimay Barrel-Aged Grand Reserve - Chimay
    - CBS 2017 - Founders (full disclosure, I purchased it when the local bottle shop dropped its price when the bottles were becoming shelf 'turds').

9. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,058) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

All the time. It's been said, and worth repeating, hype ≠ good.

10. sharpski

sharpski Champion (818) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Trader

About the only time I'll turn down something new, hyped or not, is when there are more new beers than I can safely drink. Not often, but some larger bottle shares have more beer than is realistic for any one person to try.

Coronaeus likes this.
  11. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,058) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

I'll vouch for that one -- unless they were gouging you with price, that's a good drinker.

That Chimay is intriguing too, though I don't think I've ever heard of it.

threeviews and jakecattleco like this.
  12. dribblespit

dribblespit Initiate (0) May 21, 2017 Venezuela

Chimay is the bomb! Whenever I have $20 to spend on one bottle of beer, this is the One.
    Lucky for me they put a Publix in right down the road. they carry some really good beer for being a grocery store. And I think that is the reason for keeping the prices reasonable. Delirium Tremors is a favorite that sells for $10 at Publix. Per 750ml bottle.

#12 dribblespit, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  13. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (317) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I saw utopias and didn't buy it. I still don't feel like I missed out on much. For around 200 dollars a bottle I'd probably just be dissapointed anyway. Now I saw some bottles of BA old rasputin up in traverse city. The wife saw the 23 dollar price tag and didn't like it, so I passed. I kinda wish I'd bought that one... but it may have sucked, they had quite a few bottles of that.

14. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,198) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland

Now the real question is whether a barkeep offered you a free 6-8oz pour of Abraxas or Sump would you turn it down but instead pay $5 for a pint of some decent 5% pale ale / lager, just because its hot out? Even if I were hot and thirsty, I'd still do my best with the boozy chocolate beer if I hadn't had it before and always wanted to try it.

Mvsmvs92, thebeers, Lucular and 4 others like this.
  15. cmiller4642

The answer to that is that I would have put on my Instagram that I'm drinking Abraxas or Sump :slight_smile:

I wasn't in the mood to purchase the bottle for the price

16. TheGent

TheGent Meyvn (1,232) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

$35 at a bar for a bottle of Westy 12. There’s always a line.

Gajo74 likes this.
  17. bubseymour

If I see a really good/highly rated "cellar" beer at discount price, I'm always buyin'.
    If I see a really good/highly rated "cellar" beer overpriced, but I've never had it, most of the time I'm letting it sit. You can always find high quality at good value to keep a well stocked cellar if you are an observant shopper.

Junior and Lahey like this.
  18. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (317) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Yes, I've found a couple year old 4 pack of narwhal, can probably still find 2015 bottles of bells third coast old ale (for some reason my local shop has had a bit of that show up over the last year) they're not professionally cellared, but they're at least hidden away from the windows in the front of the store.

19. bubseymour

Let 'em line up and overpay. Go to the store and get the $12 750ml of St. B. Apt 12 or Rochefort 10 and get nearly the same drinking experience. Use the $20 saved to buy more great beer. Be smart, don't stand in line with the sheeple.

20. TheGent

Premium Trader

I meant a line as in there’s always a line to draw. Not that there was literally a line.

But yes, I agree with you. Although it’s one of the few beers on my bucket list, the price was too high and I did not expect it would be worth it for me to get one beer for the same amount of money I could get several others.

keithmurray likes this.
  21. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Initiate (99) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Trader

Bought that bottle of BA Old Ras and it disappointed me was this one-
    Bourbon Barrel Aged Old Rasputin XX, did not enjoy it but my 2 friends I shared with did so not a total loss

Lahey likes this.
  22. bubseymour

Sorry I misunderstood. Yeah, its worth a bucket list drink for sure. I once paid $40 for a bottle of 4 year aged Lou Pepe from Cantillon up at Hill Farmstead, because a) I was on vacation and b) in 6 years of being on BA, I've never had access to anything by Cantillon. It was worth it IMO.

Mvsmvs92, Jacobier10 and TheGent like this.
  23. rgordon

rgordon Champion (839) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I was gonna answer, not if it's free! If it was 12 degrees and a blowing blizzard, I still would have "turned down" those beers!

Mvsmvs92, EvenMoreJesus and zid like this.
  24. TheGent

Premium Trader

Amen. Don’t get me wrong. I’ve spent more than $35 on a beer before. But for that beer, at that moment in time, chose not too. In many of he cases I have, it’s been Cantillon. Cheers.

25. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (91) Feb 13, 2018 New York

Yep. I turned down Bourbon County Rare.

I felt my share would serve someone else better. It was during summer and that beer was the last thing on my wish list, and at the top of everyone else in the room.

26. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Meyvn (1,357) Dec 11, 2006 California

I was thinking about starting a thread about beers you’ve passed on because they were too expensive, so I’ll just use this one instead.

After scrolling the beer styles section, I became acquainted with the Finnish style Sahti. Looked interesting. Don’t know where I’d find one though. Then I walked into a local bottle shop and saw Sahti by The Ale Apothecary - which happens to be the top rated version of its style at 4.29. I was ready to give it a go until I saw that the price tag was $40. Pass.

I’ll try and keep this next one short. Was in Bruges, Belgium in 2007; the bartender told me about a beer that they were only allowed to sell two a day of, that they already sold their allotment for the day, and that he would save me one in the morning. Anyway, I got trashed that night and woke up with what felt like two gremlins fornicating in my head. As I walked to the bar the following morning (which was connected to the hostel I was staying in) and asked for a glass of water, the bartender put the beer in front of me. I politely declined (because I’m sure it would have been the death of me) and he looked at me like I was crazy. Anyway, I later found out that the beer offered was Westvleteren 12. Still haven’t tried it to this day!

27. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (173) Nov 10, 2015 New York

Goose Island Rare bottle for $100 at a local bottle store. No beer, no matter what it is, where it was made, how hyped is worth $100.

28. TheGent

Premium Trader

I recently passed up a 750 of a Scratch Sahti for $40. I bought a 12oz bottle of Off Color Bear Beer for a few bucks. Then I sampled
    the Scratch beer. I’ll likely go back and buy it eventually.

What was the size of the bottle?

29. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Meyvn (1,357) Dec 11, 2006 California

750. Maybe next time I’m there I’ll bump into a Fin that will want to split it with me. :wink:

TheGent likes this.
  30. TheGent

Premium Trader

If you bump into a Finn you should get some homemade stuff!

RaulMondesi likes this.
  31. teromous

teromous Poo-Bah (1,731) Mar 21, 2010 Virginia
    Trader

There are some "boutique" breweries...you know the type...they have a multi-tiered limited-release bottle club for sale before their brewery opens. Rather than doing a regular release of beer they release a ton of "unique" or "limited-edition" beers that turn out to be average but overpriced. Even if the cost is justified by the ingredients...something that tastes average is just that. Those are the beers I usually pass on.

tobelerone and Junior like this.
  32. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (643) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

That's not turning a beer down.

That's passing it up.

If you were offered the beer for free and you said no , that's turning it down.

Enjoy

33. Ridgewalker_1999

Ridgewalker_1999 Initiate (42) Nov 3, 2016 Tennessee
    Trader

I have not try CBS yet, but I been to a few stores that had CBS for $27. I grabs some locals instead. $20 is my limit as far bottles, unless it's something super special that been wanting to try.

34. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,010) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

I was excited to finally find Utopias at a local liquor store. I was hoping to find one under $200 at Costco as some have, and was prepared to pay the typical $210, but they had jacked the price to $300. A couple of days later I noted someone bagged it. Sucker.

bluejacket74, Junior and Lahey like this.
  35. bbtkd

Premium

If CBS continues to be distributed in bombers and your limit is $20, then the only way you'll get it is a 12oz from Canada, or on tap. Never heard of CBS bombers at or below $20, though I suppose they might have been somewhere that had too much.

36. sharpski

sharpski Champion (818) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Trader

I’d split that bottle with you in a heartbeat. I don’t know how true to style Sahati is, but it’s one of my all-time favorite beers.

RaulMondesi likes this.
  37. rgordon

rgordon Champion (839) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Back in around 2004, I could hardly sell any case of Cantillon. Often customers complained about the beers being bad. I did my best to educate folks and a number of customers knew what these beers were, but they couldn't educate their customers. Same with dry and funky Normandy ciders. I would never have guessed that these highly idiosyncratic Belgian sours and ciders would be such vaunted choices just a few more years down the road..Now I like Cascade Blueberry in the Summer, and the ever reliable and "cheap" SNPA!

thebeers, BigIslandfarmer and Squire like this.
  38. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Disciple (309) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

Yes. At shares I'll pass on anything that doesn't strike me, to be fresher for things that do. At stores and restaurants I'll pass on anything that doesn't strike me or that I deem not worth the price. Hype isnt a factor to me.

39. bbtkd

Premium

I'd sure like a Sahti as is is one of two styles I have yet to try, along with Happoshu. A friend is going out of state this weekend and is on the hunt for them. I know I could trade, and may yet resort to that.

40. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,297) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

I will turn it down if the cost is silly. But if the cost is in-line sure, I will try it out, why not.