Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Everything Freetail

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by atxdelivery, Sep 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Jan 20, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

I emailed him this weekend. Basically this, it could be end of this month or may. Stay tuned to their Facebook and twitter.

2. jamescain

jamescain Jul 14, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

Fingers crossed for beginning of May

3. jl28r1

jl28r1 Jan 10, 2011 Texas

Uuummm this month comes before May. Screw May, this month is better. ;-)

H0rnedFr0gs likes this.
  4. jamescain

Beer Trader

You're right I'll still need money for Denver in May ;)

5. jl28r1

You scared me there, thanks for coming to your senses! I was just trying to protect your reputation. :)

6. raffy313

raffy313 Dec 15, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

Yeah, I get how unpredictable "wilds" can be. I also know that the most accurate report for an eta on when they will be "ready" would come from the brewer... which is why I posted this question for Scott. I also read somewhere that someone email him about Ananke and his response was "end of this month". I was just trying to get confirmation on that from him. Hell, even an "I don't know yet" reply would suffice.

I also know, from past releases, that Scott won't wait last minute to drop a release date on us, so I'm not that worried. Just mostly anxious. That, and some of us, not so fortunate, "out of towners" need abit more time to arrange a trip down for this release... ;). Thanks for the input, though.

7. starkmarvelo

Beer Trader

Careful not to mis-quote me. Here's his response to me.

"No set date on when Ananke will be released yet. Could be end of March.
    Could be May. Don't have any updates on that end. Yes it will be bottled.
    Stay tuned to our social media for release details".

pwsoldier said it best. You don't rush art. And if someone is out of town on release day, I'm sure one of us SA "locals" can help out.

8. raffy313

Beer Trader

Relax, it wasn't you I quoted. :)

To be clear, someone on another thread mentioned "phoning" the brewery(not emailing, my bad), and their response(no clue if it was Scott or not) was "end of the month". My initial post(before you replied with that post) was to get clarification on this. Apologies about getting the details wrong...

9. starkmarvelo

Beer Trader

Oops. Sorry. You saw the same post I did. Which is what prompted me to send an email cause I got excited. But that was his response to me. I'm sure as soon as something is announced of Facebook or twitter, it's gonna set this thread on fire again.

H0rnedFr0gs, raffy313 and jl28r1 like this.
  10. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Mar 12, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

I feel you on this one! Damn if Freetail doesn't come close to topping a River float for "must-do" Texas experiences. I be fiending my friend, bring on the sours!

It sounds like last years sour drop was a happy accident ( having 4 sours ready at one time). Based on previous years is this common or unlikely?

11. jamescain

Beer Trader

Pretty unlikely. I think Bandito and woodicus was the only other multiple sour release i can think of

12. jl28r1

Don't crush our dreams damn it!:mad:

cfh64 likes this.
  13. jamescain

Beer Trader

You cant live in a fantasy world ;)

cfh64 likes this.
  14. texasclimber

texasclimber Dec 4, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Speaking of bandito, i hear rumors that this years batch is maturing in one of the barrels on the floor

jl28r1 likes this.
  15. H0rnedFr0gs

Beer Trader

Sssh!

16. jamescain

Beer Trader

No it isn't. I drank it all. Nothing to see here. :)

17. squirrely2005

squirrely2005 Aug 26, 2011 Texas

I hate to put this on here but has anybody ever had a problem with waitstaff? Maybe it's just me but some of the bartenders/waiters act like I asked them to climb up the windmill and get me a beer.
    If its busy I understand but even when it's slow I've been in there and had the same kind of service. I don't mean to talk bad or anything and I've meant to tell Scott directly but i feel as though he's pretty busy.
    It's just kind of irritating. I'm not expecting them to do much but I'd like for them to be upbeat about their job. I'd love to work there. Especially now that ill be at UTSA next semester.
    On the flip side ive had some awesome people take care of me.
    But anyway just curious to see if anyway else has had the same kin of experience.

H0rnedFr0gs likes this.
  18. FreetailBrewing

FreetailBrewing Jun 23, 2007 Texas

Please let me know about this whenever it happens. It isn't talking bad, it's letting me know when we have people who aren't productive to our business. Never feel afraid to tell me. Names help.

FUNKPhD, SirWalkAbout and H0rnedFr0gs like this.
  19. FreetailBrewing

And now to address the summons I received to come to this thread, Ananke 2013 :)

Bottles will be released tomorrow. Thanks, see you there.

I kid. It could be anywhere from late March (probably not) to early May. I can tell you right now it definitely WILL NOT be on April 20. This isn't me trying to throw you off, I'm serious. It won't be on April 20 -- I'll be out of town visiting family.

Our GOAL (read: what we want to do, but may not always be able to pull off) is to have Ananke release every spring (somewhere in the March-May timeframe) and "SuperMegaAwesome Bottle Release Day" with multiple sours every September. Again, note that multiple sours may not be possible on an annual basis... but we're going to try.

As for stemmed glassware: they'll be available for sale soon. I'd thought they'd be for sale already, but I spent every day last week at the Capitol, and I'll be spending at least Monday and maybe Tuesday there as well. As soon as I have time to tackle the project (getting them in our system, finding somewhere to put them so we can sell them), they will be available at the pub only - we won't sell them online because we don't want to get into the business of shipping glass.

Thanks everyone!

20. H0rnedFr0gs

Beer Trader

ISO:Summer Internship at Freetail FT:My Soul

Sorry to hear you have had less than a spectacular time at Freetail. I suspect this was the anomaly and not the norm. Now if I can only find a legitimate excuse to drive to SA often I'd gladly post up at the bar and perform ocular pat downs and QC tests on every beer being sold

blatherbeard likes this.
  21. raffy313

Beer Trader

See, except for that 2nd sentence(that wasn't funny at all... :mad: ...well kinda:D ), I'm more than happy with this reply. It gives us something. If nothing else... we, the BA's who don't campout @thebrewpub on a daily basis, now know Ananke IS coming. Thanks Scott... see you release day!

22. cfh64

cfh64 Aug 16, 2005 Texas
    Beer Trader

If you could NOT have the release on the last weekend in April so as not to conflict with DLD that would be great. Not that I'm going or anything you just don't want to compete with DLD and lose all the midwesterners that would otherwise be flocking to the Ananke release ;). Thanks!

23. mattisloco

mattisloco Feb 13, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

I think you should prep your liver the weekend before. We can't have you looking like a sissy girl up there... well I guess no matter what you'll look like one, just can't have you drink like one.

cfh64 likes this.
  24. starkmarvelo

Beer Trader

This. I walked in once just to buy a bottle and nothing else. I got a death stare from hell. Other times they're just kinda, meh.
    I don't care that much though. They're not rude, they're just not all bubbly and stuff. The beer is world class and the food is fucking awesome as well. And I love the bottle shares there.

SirWalkAbout likes this.
  25. FreetailBrewing

Stemware on sale this Saturday. Thanks everyone!

bccocx and Ford like this.
  26. jl28r1

Discount because of the crazy font?
    Haha....kidding Scott. I'll be there Saturday. My trade partners will kill me if I don't add this glass to their collections.

Cheers

27. Daemose

Daemose Oct 3, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Ananke is good shit.

FUNKPhD likes this.
  28. mhenson42

mhenson42 Nov 20, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

To take a page from jl28r1......

I'm gonna be at Freetail around 4:00-4:30 today meeting another BA for a trade. I won't be there long, but for the first one who comes up to me and introduces themselves and asks for them gets a trio of Central Waters beers....

Preferably someone who hasn't tried them...

'13 Peruvian Morning
    '13 Bourbon Barrel Barleywine
    '12 Kosmyck Charlie's Barleywine

I'll be wearing a black Surly Darkness T-Shirt.

BK1017, FUNKPhD, DonD and 5 others like this.
  29. kmello69

kmello69 Nov 27, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Now THAT'S a generous offer! I'm almost tempted to drive down from Austin to meet you (but I've had the first 2 already, so I guess that wouldnt be right.....)

Well done, sir!

30. H0rnedFr0gs

Beer Trader

Well played sir...well played

31. jl28r1

Nice!

32. Grendle

Grendle Apr 11, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Went on a nice 5K St. Paddy run with the wife before dropping her off at home. Then went and got some growler fills at Whole Foods before stopping at Freetail for a flight. As I was drinking I was reading the forum and in walked Matt. Thanks for the beers Matt!

33. mhenson42

mhenson42 Nov 20, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Nice to hang out and have a beer with you. :)

lokieman and mattisloco like this.
  34. cam_williams

cam_williams Oct 3, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

And nice seeing both of Yall there. Thanks did the beers Matt, I greatly appreciate it!

35. Grendle

Grendle Apr 11, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Like wise Cameron.

36. jl28r1

Love seeing this, I hope we here in San Antonio can keep the giving going. Lets be the best BA city out there!!
    Who's next?

37. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Dec 4, 2011 Texas

When will OP make his way to a Houston tasting? Just saying your invited lol

38. BgThang

BgThang Dec 23, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

Porto Gaillto is drinking great right now.

39. videofrog

videofrog Nov 13, 2010 Texas
    Subscriber

I've only been once for just a couple of drinks after dinner and enjoyed 4Shadow. I also had a Sisyphus. The waitress "warned" me about both choices. I told her that I had had the wine barrel-aged Sisyphus and loved it. She replied that she didn't know what I was talking about, but that they had had Kraken on tap before. :confused:
    I really want to go back, but my wife ended up with a dirty spoon in her tea glass, and she throws a fit any time I mention dropping by while in SA. I tell her it was more than likely an aberration, but she won't hear it. Women. Seriously, why is that archaic 19th amendment still hanging around?

40. jl28r1

That's too bad, I have never had a problem with cleanliness at Freetail.

Grendle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe