Excess Foam after changing CO2 tank

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by tjfilippo, Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjfilippo

tjfilippo Initiate (182) Jan 28, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I have a relatively new kegerator and recently changed my first CO2 tank.

I have a 1/6th barrel and was getting perfect pours until my CO2 tank ran out. I refilled it and hooked the connections back up. I let everything sit for a few days. Now my entire beer is foam. I tried turning down the psi to 2 and there was no reduction in foam. Now I turned the CO2 tank completely off and I'm still getting an entire glass of foam. This doesn't make any sense to me. Did I do something completely wrong?

Sorry, I'm relatively new to using a kegerator. Thank you very much for your assistance.

2. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Aspirant (295) Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

When the old tank ran out, did you let the pressure in the keg drop or did you replace the tank before it reached that point? When you hooked up the new tank, what pressure did you set it to? For how long? Did you adjust the temperature? If you increased the pressure and/or decreased the temp for any length of time, you likely over carbonated the beer.

Assuming you had good pours before and that the temp is correct for the beer, my guess would be that the beer became overcarbonated while you were fiddling with it (it happens). Turning the pressure down or even turning the gas completely off will not fix that, as you've already observed. It'll take a few days for things to balance out.

I would suggest turning the gas off, then releasing the pressure in the keg (I'm not familiar with a commercial tap, so I can't tell you how to do that). Burp it every few hours over a period of a few days. The idea is to under-carb it a bit (you'll have to make an educated guess on when that's been achieved). Then hook up the gas and set it to serving pressure (likely around 10-11 psi). After a few days, it should reach equilibrium and you should be good to go.

3. DougC123

DougC123 Devotee (476) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut
    Subscriber

For a commercial coupler there is a pull ring on the side that is the relief. You can hasten the process by shaking the keg in between burpings.

4. tjfilippo

tjfilippo Initiate (182) Jan 28, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I bet this is what happened. I will follow your advice. Thank you for the support!

Cheers!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.