Excess Foam after changing CO2 tank

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by tjfilippo, Oct 30, 2013.

1. tjfilippo

tjfilippo Jan 28, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I have a relatively new kegerator and recently changed my first CO2 tank.

I have a 1/6th barrel and was getting perfect pours until my CO2 tank ran out. I refilled it and hooked the connections back up. I let everything sit for a few days. Now my entire beer is foam. I tried turning down the psi to 2 and there was no reduction in foam. Now I turned the CO2 tank completely off and I'm still getting an entire glass of foam. This doesn't make any sense to me. Did I do something completely wrong?

Sorry, I'm relatively new to using a kegerator. Thank you very much for your assistance.

2. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

When the old tank ran out, did you let the pressure in the keg drop or did you replace the tank before it reached that point? When you hooked up the new tank, what pressure did you set it to? For how long? Did you adjust the temperature? If you increased the pressure and/or decreased the temp for any length of time, you likely over carbonated the beer.

Assuming you had good pours before and that the temp is correct for the beer, my guess would be that the beer became overcarbonated while you were fiddling with it (it happens). Turning the pressure down or even turning the gas completely off will not fix that, as you've already observed. It'll take a few days for things to balance out.

I would suggest turning the gas off, then releasing the pressure in the keg (I'm not familiar with a commercial tap, so I can't tell you how to do that). Burp it every few hours over a period of a few days. The idea is to under-carb it a bit (you'll have to make an educated guess on when that's been achieved). Then hook up the gas and set it to serving pressure (likely around 10-11 psi). After a few days, it should reach equilibrium and you should be good to go.

3. DougC123

DougC123 Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut
    Subscriber

For a commercial coupler there is a pull ring on the side that is the relief. You can hasten the process by shaking the keg in between burpings.

4. tjfilippo

tjfilippo Jan 28, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I bet this is what happened. I will follow your advice. Thank you for the support!

Cheers!!

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe