Exhibit 'A' Brewing Company

Discussion in 'New England' started by GabrielEVH, Oct 3, 2016.

1. GabrielEVH

GabrielEVH Initiate (199) Mar 24, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I needed to give some publicity and love to this new brewery that recently opened up in my town of Framingham, MA at Jack's Abby's old location (81 Morton St Framingham, MA). Here are some details:

http://www.exhibit-a-brewing.com/

https://www.facebook.com/exhibit.a.brewing/

Opened September of 2016, headed by brew master Matthew Steinberg.

Hours: Wed-Fri 3-8pm; Sat-Sun 12-8pm.

Currently, they have a number of trial beer runs available as "Demo Tapes" that can be purchased as cans, growler fills, or draft on location. They also have a couple finalized recipes:

• The Cat's Meow (IPA)
    • Goody Two Shoes (Kolsch)

I've had three of their beers thus far that ranged from good to great. Here are my thoughts going in that order:

Demo Tape Five (American Brown Porter): Solid porter with a nice body. Reminds me of good quality homebrew... great for this fall weather. Nice malty sweetness upfront with a balanced finish.

The Cat's Meow (IPA, 6.5%): This IPA can stand with the big boys (see Trillium and Tree House). Hazy NE IPA look to it. I get a lot of Mosaic on the nose through dank fruit smells, very reminiscent of Trillium's Mosaic hopped Fort Point. Medium to light body, touch of bitterness at the end. No alcohol aftertaste. Just excellent.

Demo Tape Seven (DIPA, 8.4%): Very turbid. This is an aroma/taste juice bomb. Wow. Lots of Galaxy hops, which I love. Even at DIPA alcohol levels, I still barely detect any at the finish... amazing job, guys! I can't believe this is only a test version... it is already so amazingly good! A touch of refreshing bitterness at the end too. Not much room for improvement with this one.

Cheers! Go enjoy their beers! This place is the real deal!

JrGtr likes this.
  2. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (201) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I've heard great things, they're definitely on my To Visit list. Need to find some time to head out to Framingham, don't get out there as much since I've changed jobs.

3. nolanz14

nolanz14 Aspirant (283) Aug 31, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Do they do samples on site? I can't tell from their website

4. jbertsch

jbertsch Meyvn (1,069) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

4 oz pours as well as half & full pours. Not all 3 options were available for every beer when I was there.

nolanz14 likes this.
  5. rknrll

rknrll Initiate (36) Jul 13, 2009 Massachusetts

Most beers are $2 for a 4oz taster, DIPA is $3.

nolanz14 likes this.
  6. barroomhero1977

barroomhero1977 Aspirant (211) Nov 2, 2010 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

And one size on the kolsch.... the normal stange which is about 10 oz.

7. AshlandNacho

AshlandNacho Aspirant (228) Apr 14, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Hey hey hey shhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

But seriously this place is pumping out some wicked hoppy brews!! I'd put the cats meow up against a lot of other ipa's. but if I show up there soon and have to wait in line I'm gonna be pissed people!

8. nolanz14

Beer Trader

What's the pricing look like? I might have to make a stop on Thursday.

9. ManapuaMan

ManapuaMan Meyvn (1,039) Apr 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I concur with the positive vibe - swung by a couple weeks ago and the crew was very engaging. Friendly, helpful and they let me sample the Kolsch. They were out of the IPA (forget which demo tape #) but I picked up a four pack of the brown and the pale ale. Both very good beers and I plan on being back at some point.

konabrewer likes this.
  10. Mikecap

Mikecap Champion (841) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Awesome to see a Kolsch as one of their flagship beers. Def would like to give that a try.

konabrewer likes this.
  11. jbertsch

Pale ale was $14 per 4-pack of 16 oz cans.
    IPA was $16 per
    Haven't been since the DIPA came out. I imagine that'll be more than the IPA :slight_frown:

12. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (178) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

DIPA was listed at $19 for a 4 pack :grimacing:

I really want to support these guys because they're a mile from my house and I've liked everything I've tried so far, but the price is a bit high for me at the moment. Especially when Night Shift is cheaper at Julio's and Trillium is more or less the same. Who am I kidding, though? I'll be buying it anyway.

konabrewer likes this.
  13. jbertsch

Agreed. The beers I’ve had so far are good so I’ll still buy them every now and then, but the pricing prevents me from treating them as go-to brews, which is unfortunate because that’s how I was hoping to treat them. Don’t remember what the growler costs are; if they’re a better value maybe I’ll stick to those even though I prefer cans.

14. rousee

rousee Meyvn (1,031) Aug 13, 2004 Massachusetts

I've always thought pretty highly of Matthew's brewing skills going all the way back to when he was at Offshore in Martha's Vineyard. Not surprised at all to hear that the beers are good. I'll look for them--thanks for the heads up.

15. nolanz14

Beer Trader

Ouch. I guess that's the standard now even right out of the gate. Unless it's Trillium level I'd be one and done (plus Canton is a lot closer).

16. GabrielEVH

Beer Trader

In my opinion, the IPA and DIPA are at Trillium levels. I expect these beers cost the brewer a decent amount of money to produce, given how hoppy they are. I'm alright with the pricing due to how I view the quality of these beers and that they are less than two miles from my house - therefore saving me money getting to and from the brewery.

konabrewer likes this.
  17. konabrewer

konabrewer Aspirant (252) Jul 10, 2003 Massachusetts

Most beers are available in 4, 8 and 16oz pours. For, Goody Two Shoes, our Kölsch beer, we only offer it in the proper 300ml Stange glass. We do this, because quite frankly, a 4oz sample just doesn't do it justice. Plus, the stange is such a great way to enjoy this fresh brew. As an offering, we will always pour a complimentary taste (2oz) pour of anything to get your familiar with a beer.

masterob8, F2brewers and nolanz14 like this.
  18. konabrewer

Just to address a couple things. and please feel free to BeerMail me personally if you want to continue the conversation. I truly appreciate Beeradvocates having this conversation. and hey!!! We have a BA thread just about us. cool stuff.

Pricing seems to a topic people talk a lot about. I understand it, I am a consumer too. Consider this for a moment. Beer, especially craft beer, is a luxury item. Yes, an affordable luxury, but a luxury nonetheless.

For beers to be consumed at our brewery:
    Our Kölsch is a 300ml pour into a custom beautiful Stange glass. It's $3.50! Find a beer for $3.50 of this quality and I'll buy you a round. To me, that cannot be beat. and trust me, this Kölsch is probably as proud of a beer as I have ever been.
    Pale, Porter, Kettle Sour, and The Cat's Meow IPA are all in line or less than other on premise establishments serving similar beers. Plus these beers are incredibly fresh and tasty. we promise. We serve 8oz of our Double IPA for $6. However, we are about to receive our DOUBLE IPA glass and will be pouring 10oz pours for the same $6. Don't want to raise our prices, ya dig.

Canned beer is very expensive. I know that seems strange, but it is. Especially for a small brand new craft brewery like us. We bought a brand new canning machine, all sorts of equipment in order to bring you the freshest, and carefully packaged beer we are able to offer.

Our beers range in price from $11 for Goody Two Shoes (Kölsch) to $14 for pales and porters and $16 for The Cat's Meow. Please come drink these beers, as I believe you will find them well worth your head earned dollars.

For the Double IPA. This beer literally has more hops than any other beer I have ever brewed. and let's not forget the Simpsons Golden Promise Malts making it a very expensive to produce. I considered not making a Double IPA because of the COGS to make it, but as a team we decided we really wanted to DIPA. Yes. It's $19 a 4pack and worth every penny.

Thanks for reading.
    Matthew
    Co-Founder/Bossman/Brewer
    Exhibit 'A' Brewing Co.
    Framingham, MA

19. jbertsch

The on-premise pour pricing is totally fair and in line to me. That means I'll likely end up treating Exhibit A as a go-to bar first, beer-to-go second.

20. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (210) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Someone mentioned the price of Night Shift beers as a comparison earlier in the thread. I'm old enough to remember when Night Shift was charging $12-13 dollars for four packs of twelve once cans. Hell, I'm even old enough to remember buying Hoponius Union in 500ml bottles for I don't remember how much but certainly a lot more than it costs today. In other words: give them a damn minute, people.

The way I see it, a new brewery just opened up 10-ish minutes from my house, they're exhibiting high quality beer across a nice range of styles, and they've made a very significant investment in their packaging equipment so that I don't have to have yet another goddamn growler clogging up my garage. I'm very happy to pay a couple extra bucks on a four-pack to support that.

Also, considering the number of $15 - $20 single bottles of brett-fruited-saison-farmhouse-sour-faux-lambic whatever the hell from brand new, fairly anonymous breweries I've noticed collecting dust on the shelves these days, I'm really not about to freak out because a new brewery is charing a couple bucks above market rate on an IPA. Exhibit A prices are reasonable at a time when many others are ridiculous.

21. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (219) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

When Hoponius 500ml singles first came thery were $3ish where I shop. When they did 4packs of them I paid between 10 and 12. Those prices aren't way out of line with where they are priced now. JA always were and still are big players wrt lower priced craft beer.

I have no problem paying for beer that's worth it to me and have no problem with exhibit a pricing. Complaints over price happen in every hobby. It's stupid but it happens.

mrz200, konabrewer and frekky like this.
  22. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (273) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Haven't been there to try the beer yet, but looking forward to it. I do however want to say that I am glad to see them coming out of the gate in cans vs. bombers/750s. They could easily charge those same prices (and likely more) with little to no complaining. I'll never understand how a $19 four pack is the end of the world, but a $9-10 750/bomber is just fine.

konabrewer likes this.
  23. Coulombemj90

Coulombemj90 Initiate (31) Dec 7, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

1. The beer is really good. The issue is, it's in Framingham. (Issue for me).
    2. $19 is a lot of money for a 4 pack of any beer.
    3. There are many of you on this thread that live in the Boston area and drive up to Portland Maine to spend $17 for a 4 pack at Bissell Brothers. Factor in gas and the wear and tear on your car and this beer then appears cheaper. Or the drive up to Freeport for those $9 per bottle Dinner releases.

AshlandNacho likes this.
  24. Jcorn

Jcorn Disciple (393) Jun 17, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

If you're telling me that this beer is on Dinner/Bissell level then they can have my money. But I'm not one who makes that trip to Portland/Freeport anyway. But I will go to F'ham... soon.

25. RuckIt

RuckIt Aspirant (266) Apr 29, 2008 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Stopped by today based on the posts here, and was pleasantly surprised. Cats Meow was my favorite of those on tap, and the DIPA was solid as well. Really everything on tap was above average to very good and I can't wait to see where they go in the coming months!

frekky likes this.
  26. frekky

frekky Disciple (326) Oct 31, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Saw on their instagram they were putting a barleywine into whiskey barrels for a rest. Looking forward to that at some point.

jlordi12, pgbond, JrGtr and 1 other person like this.
  27. bla211

bla211 Initiate (168) Mar 17, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Had a big problem with Cat's Meow in cans. Diacetyl bomb for me, hear it's better on tap. Demo 7 was great though, seems like they just need to iron out a couple kinks.

28. Coulombemj90

Coulombemj90 Initiate (31) Dec 7, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I'd personally make the argument that if you're driving to Portland and not hitting up Foundation for an epiphany release then you're an idiot. Bissell is good but not all of their beers are created equal. And while I think Dinner is good, I feel like a lot of Maine Beer Company's beers taste very similar.

29. ncuba

ncuba Initiate (123) Dec 20, 2008 Massachusetts

I stopped by on Sunday and ended up with the porter, IPA, and DIPA mentioned in 1st post. Quality is awesome, at least at a level of the au courant Maine places mentioned in this thread, and beer by beer I prefer these to many from the heavy hitters in Mass. I'm very high on the porter in particular, which is drinkable, not too sweet and thus the best of any I've had in recent memory.

Do dislike the confusing "demo tape" naming convention, but once these guys are all settled and cranking out their best stuff I think Framingham might become a legit beer "destination," especially when Jack's Abby has good on-site offerings.

Rysk22 likes this.
  30. Jcorn

Jcorn Disciple (393) Jun 17, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I haven't been to any of those releases. I've had all the beers you speak of. Epiphany is pretty damn good. But gimme Swish & Reciprocal over it all day.

31. MyIronLung

MyIronLung Aspirant (259) Oct 28, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Heard some chatter that Shawn Siegal (Marty's Liquors/Atlantic Distributing) is an owner of this brewery. Anyone know if this is true?

32. konabrewer

To be clear, this post concerns me for several reasons. One, I have not had any hint of Diacetyl in any of our beers, including The Cat's Meow. Not sure what your palate is tasting, and I am certainly not trying to question the validity of your claim. I happen to be super sensitive to Diacetyl and don't detect any in this beer. Second, and this happens a lot, but to be clear, the draft at the Tap Room is literally the same batch as the cans, so i find it tough to figure on how the draft vs can would be so different on your palate.

I welcome you @bla211 back to the brewery to do a tasting with me personally. Love to share thoughts and a beer.

Matthew

33. bla211

Beer Trader

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the response! I am also very sensitive to Diacetyl and I was picking up some butterscotchy notes in the can that I had. When I mentioned this flavor to the person I was sharing the can with, they were able to pick up on it as well. This can was given to me by a friend who had been to the brewery the day before and he had mentioned that he didn't taste the butteryness in it it on draft (I have not had it on draft myself).

FWIW I loved Demo Tape 7, can't wait to try more releases!

I would love to stop by the brewery, will be in touch.

Brad

F2brewers and konabrewer like this.
  34. GabrielEVH

Beer Trader

Based on the recent discussion, I had another Cat's Meow last night and am putting in my 2 cents on the diacetyl. In all, I've had about 6 cans of Cat's Meow over the past 2 weeks. I get Mosaic on the nose and in the flavor, along with Citra and El Dorado to a lesser extent. I didn't detect buttery aromas/flavors. I think this has a complex hop flavor profile and I get a little slickness with mouthfeel though, which is expected given the generous hop oils. This beer reminds me a lot of Trillium's MoFoPo for obvious reasons.

Everyone has different palates so this is all subjective. I don't believe mine to be the most sensitive either and I've only gotten into the elite beer game in the past 6 months and have done minimal homebrewing. I'm a pretty big fan of this beer though... it certainly helps that Mosaic is probably my favorite hop too.

#34 GabrielEVH, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  35. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (201) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

@konabrewer

I'm excited to make my first trip up next Friday, think there's a chance of Demo Tapes 5, 7 and the Cat's Meow still being available?

36. oldbean

Weird that skilled, experienced, professional brewers bother to use expensive laboratory equipment to test for Diacetyl when so many beer drinkers can apparently easily and authoritatively tell you which of the cans in their four-pack had it and which ones didn't.

mikio, seanwhite and PierogiSmash like this.
  37. bla211

Beer Trader

Weird how you clearly didn't read the OP and only one can of the beer was tasted.

Also, it is possible for diacetyl to form after packaging.

#37 bla211, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  38. oldbean

I was generalizing, not addressing the OP's complaints specifically. The point is that people are waaaaaaaaaaaay too confident in their ability to detect these specific flaws, and often say things that make no sense (can-to-can variation for example) when talking about them.

BAMF and natejohnson126 like this.
  39. TerriblySorry

TerriblySorry Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2014 Vermont

Bought a 4-pack of Cat's Meow Saturday and really loved it. Wondering if the diacetyl report may be misconstrued with the velvety light licorice notes I'm getting. Reminds me of a lighter version of Second Fiddle, which I find to be heavy on the licorice flavor (which I really enjoy).

40. ncuba

ncuba Initiate (123) Dec 20, 2008 Massachusetts

I agree with the thrust of this post, that the best analog for Cat's Meow is FPPA with a bit more mixed blend of hops.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.