Exploding Bottles When Traveling to Higher Altitude?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mcal, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mcal

Mcal Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2012 Texas

Hey, quick question for anybody out there.

I'm going to be traveling to Dillon, CO from Dallas, TX this Thanksgiving. I was going to bring some beer to share with family, but was concerned the change in altitude might cause some bottles to explode or leak. Some of the bottles are kind of rare, so I didn't want to take a chance on them if this was a possibility.

Has anyone ever had this happen or should I be good to go? Thanks in advance!

2. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2009 Missouri

I use electric tape to wrap around the cap/cork & top inch of the neck just in case.

Mcal likes this.
  3. DrinkSlurm

DrinkSlurm Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2007 New York

No worries...planes are pressurized or we wouldn't make it very far. I fly with beer all the time. Just bubble wrap really good and put in zip lock bags in case they get crushed.
    If the plane looses pressure, you wont really care about the beer anymore.

Drucifer, mythaeus, Treyliff and 2 others like this.
  4. Mcal

Mcal Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2012 Texas

Haha true. I'll actually be driving, though. Think they'll still be fine?

5. crusian

crusian Pooh-Bah (1,989) May 14, 2010 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah

Dont think he is concerned about the plane so much as the altitude difference. plenty of breweries on the west coast (zero altitude) are distroed to colorado, dont worry, the bottles are strong. I take beer to breckenridge all the time. Dallas to over 10k feet.

looks like he beat me to it.

Mcal likes this.
  6. EyePeeAyBryan

EyePeeAyBryan Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2011 Arizona
    Trader

Yep, all of the above. Took beer through vail pass and that's almost 11k ft and had no issues.

Mcal likes this.
  7. DrinkSlurm

DrinkSlurm Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2007 New York

Aahhhh....i dont know if i ever did that but i imagine it would be fine. Afterall, places like new belgium drive their beer to places like florida without any issues.
    Sounds like a really cool drive!

Mcal likes this.
  8. nogophers

nogophers Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2011 Minnesota

Good thing you're bringing beer because I don't think CO has any decent craft beer
    :grinning:

You should be fine. On a related note, when I installed argon-gas sealed windows in my former house in Steamboat, the manufacturer wouldn't cover the warranty if I took them through the tunnel or over Rabbit Ears pass...Had to go around to WY and cut down through Craig.

Mcal and RblWthACoz like this.
  9. JrGtr

JrGtr Pooh-Bah (1,689) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

If has no problems in the hold of an airplane - normally unpressurized - it'll have no problems in a car driving up a mountain.
    I, and many others, have flown with beer many times and never had pressurization issues.

Mcal likes this.
  10. juankzas

juankzas Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2008 Mexico

No problem at all, I've brought beer in the plane from San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, Chicago and New York. Also driving from San Antonio to Mexico City (7500 ft) and never had problems

Mcal likes this.
  11. TheKingOfLimbs

TheKingOfLimbs Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2011 Pennsylvania

The only thing that will change is the pressure outside the bottle. Wouldn't cause it to explode unless it was reallllly close to exploding anyway. You're fine.

Mcal likes this.
  12. msubulldog25

msubulldog25 Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2005 Oregon
    Deactivated

I think we have consensus here ~ your bottles should be fine, Mcal. :grinning:
    Closing this one down...
    Brian

Mcal and Hdredfern like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.