Extract kit additions

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by mikefuski17, Oct 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikefuski17

mikefuski17 Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2013 Oregon

Still relatively new to brewing. I've only made to batches but am using extract kits until I fully understand the process and acquire more equipment. My next batch is Rebel Rye bourbon porter kit from the great folks at NorthernBrewer. I was curious if anyone has added extras ingredients to flavor with success. I was flirting with the idea of adding PB2. Since I'm a newb, I was also wondering how much to add for a 5 gallon batch and when to add for optimal flavoring. Thanks for any help fellow home brewers!

2. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,291) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

3. mikefuski17

mikefuski17 Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2013 Oregon

Cool. Thanks for your help!!

4. jamesnw

jamesnw Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2009 Colorado

Some possible additions to a porter would be chocolate, hazelnut, cinnamon, bourbon and blackberry. Based on the bourbon, you could go with pecan, cherry, coffee, hazelnut and cranberry. I'd probably do any of those besides the cranberry, personally. (I got these suggestions from a site I can't link to since the site thinks it's spam)

5. scurvy311

scurvy311 Savant (1,111) Dec 3, 2005 Louisiana

I get lots of inspiration walking through ethnic food stores.

MrOH and SFACRKnight like this.
  6. jamesnw

Now I'm curious... what are some examples?

7. scurvy311

Lemongrass, hibiscus, curry, cocoa sticks, exotic (to me at least) fruits, different teas...I'm always on the lookout at farmers markets and stores when I travel.

jamesnw likes this.
  8. Lukass

Lukass Pooh-Bah (2,807) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society

I brewed an AG version of this recipe from NB a few years ago, as well as an extract recipe (NB screwed up my order so I got the extract recipe for free!) and they were quite tasty as-is. It was kind of fun to compare the AG version to the extract. Anyways, the only other thing I added that wasn't in the recipe was vanilla beans. During the bourbon/oak cube soak, I added a few of them to that. I think I added 3 but can't remember. I don't know about adding PB2 though... I think it might clash a bit with the oak and rye whiskey. PB2 on its own could be good though.

jamesnw likes this.
  9. jamesnw

Oh interesting! Curry is one I hadn't thought of... what base style did you use?

10. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Pooh-Bah (2,111) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society

Coco nibs, oak, hot pepper, coconut, extra flaked barley or oats. Basically where ever you would like the brew to be.

11. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,291) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

I had a blonde ale that had Key Limes in it, and it was tasty. It was kind of similar to adding a lime wedge to a Corona, but it was better, maybe because it was Key Lime rather than just a plain ol' lime.

12. scurvy311

Spicy coconut curry in a bumped up am wheat base ferm with 3056. Still have 2 bombers left.

jamesnw likes this.
  13. MrOH

MrOH Grand Pooh-Bah (3,331) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society

ONLY USE CURRY POWDER!!!
    My third batch ( a snow day batch, so it was quickly put together the night before without thought) was a Green Curry IPA. The Thai curry pastes tend to have shrimp, fish, garlic and onion in them. Second worst batch I've brewed. I still think that chilis and lemongrass would work in an IPA, within reason. Do some homework, though

14. pweis909

pweis909 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,176) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Society

Before you do this, ask yourself if you want 5 gallons of this beer. Spend some time with a shot of bourbon, a commercial porter, and a peanut butter sandwich. Are the flavors so deliciously compatible that you are compelled to combine them into a single fermented liquid? Or is it not really your cup of tea?

PapaGoose03 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.