Fair State (2020)

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Reidrover, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,794) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Couldn't find an open thread about this brewer.
    But to my surprise a store in Salem OR is getting Fair State beers ..had the Pahlay tonight and its a very nice drinkable beer.
    What is the consensus on Fair State in your forum?

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  2. dbhammel

dbhammel Initiate (85) Oct 24, 2016 Minnesota

I would suggest Fair State is a top tier MN brewery, possibly just a few spots below the most popular/hyped such as Barrel Theory, Blackstack, Forager, and Drekker. They make great beer across the styles and I think their mixed culture sours are some of the best in the state. I would say Fair State is a well respected local brewery with a high quality well-made portfolio and a handful of outstanding beers.

HammsMeASAP likes this.
  3. ipeters1017

ipeters1017 Aspirant (276) Dec 15, 2016 Wisconsin

Fair State is easily in my top 3 MN breweries and I'm glad they have one of the larger distribution footprints of MN breweries. Pahlay is my favorite of their flagships as well, so you definitely started on the right note.

HammsMeASAP, burlyb, Mplsbrew and 2 others like this.
  4. DCintheMSP

DCintheMSP Initiate (80) Jan 8, 2014 Minnesota

I've got them right at the top of my list, as I really enjoy nearly everything they do. From hazy IPAs to sours to stouts, I think they produce some of the best beer in the state.

HammsMeASAP, burlyb and Mplsbrew like this.
  5. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (126) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

Agree with most/all of the above. They also make awesome lagers.

Keller Kazbek might be my favorite pilsner.

PolskaKielbasia, burlyb and JMN44 like this.
  6. BeerDrinkinGuy

BeerDrinkinGuy Initiate (55) Nov 2, 2018 Minnesota

I might be biased cuz Im a member but they do have a selection of beers that all seem to be top tier. They also have a nice laid back feel to the image of the brewery which appeals to alot of beer geeks and also non hipster beer people.

7. A__J__H

A__J__H Initiate (31) Dec 7, 2017 Minnesota

A Keller Kazbek hits so nice in the early fall

8. hhughes2008

hhughes2008 Initiate (54) Oct 25, 2016 Minnesota
    Trader

Pils is my desert island beer.

They've also done a bunch of collabs with highly respected breweries--Modern Times, Live Oak, Jester King, Bottle Logic--to name a few.

burlyb likes this.
  9. burlyb

burlyb Initiate (34) Dec 17, 2007 Minnesota

Ok, which of you bought up all the bottles of Return on Investment?!

10. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (11,839) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri
    Society

Congrats to Oregon! Now if Fair State can go a little further south, I'd love to see them in Missouri.

11. drunk_gnome

drunk_gnome Initiate (57) Sep 20, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

I must be in the minority when it comes to Drekker. Outside of Milk Maiden, they’ve always just been an over-the-top mess to me.

Fair State though - hell yes. Love them.

HoppyHawk, Mplsbrew, burlyb and 2 others like this.
  12. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (126) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

I like some Drekker beers. But Fair State > Drekker.

Mplsbrew and gudbrande like this.
  13. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (4,308) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota
    Society

I've haven't ranked my top places in awhile but they are top tier. Excellent in a wide variety of styles.

HammsMeASAP likes this.
  14. mjryan

mjryan Zealot (520) Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

The consensus is that Fair State is easily one of the best Minn has to offer, and in my opinion Minn has a lot to offer on the beer front. One really cool thing about them, is that they crush damn near everything they do, and their portfolio is eclectic. Classic styles, coexist right along side the more popular styles of our day. They are ultra legit.

15. MNBeer1017

MNBeer1017 Devotee (473) Mar 27, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

Ultra legit
    Crush

16. Chumley22

Chumley22 Initiate (90) Sep 28, 2013 Minnesota

JMN44 likes this.
  17. eggsurplus

eggsurplus Initiate (92) Nov 30, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

The industry should be taking advantage of the Payment Protection Program that banks will start administering tomorrow. It's basically free money. You take a loan for up to 2.5 times your 2019 average payroll and over the next 8 weeks anything used for payroll and some other expenses such as mortgages/leases get 100% forgiven. However, if you reduce staff or hours that reduction gets removed from the forgiveness. Call your bank ASAP to get in now as it is being done on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Chumley22 and gatornation like this.
  18. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (5,904) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Right on !! it starts tomorrow for businesses with less than 500 employees (high IMO form sm business) no collateral has to be put up, The Key is 8 weeks to be forgiven.

Chumley22 likes this.
  19. SipIt

SipIt Initiate (191) Jul 18, 2013 Minnesota

Very true, however, it's well known these funds are going to run dry before lots of businesses receive the necessary benefit. Banks are even sending out preemptive messages to warn businesses they more than likely won't get what is supposed to be available to them.

Not trying to knock the bill or system in place, but it doesn't seem to be as easy as filling out the application on time to receive funds. I hope to be proven wrong.

20. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (5,904) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Not all programs will help or be a great fit for small business,This is more a lifeline (payroll /mortgage,/utilities keeping all employees employed) its not for all and it may well just turn into a bandage (8 weeks is not very long).

21. Bruno415

Bruno415 Initiate (110) Dec 18, 2016 Minnesota
    Trader

If they are not allowed to reopen in 8 weeks time god help us all