Fall Beer Sightings (2019)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS, Jul 9, 2019.

1. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS Initiate (56) Jul 13, 2017 Illinois

With the 4th of July in our rear view mirror, we all know how beer releases are. Fall beer (usually Oktoberfest) starts trickling out onto shelves in late July and I have had my fix of my favorite spring/summer beers and am ready to crack open some of my favorite fall beers. I was just wondering if anyone has seen any fall beer on shelves yet at all. CHEERS!

2. WadeBridgman

WadeBridgman Aspirant (224) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Cant wait for that Great Lakes Oktoberfest, the goat of fall beers

Ceddd99, Bshaw22, BamaScott and 11 others like this.
  3. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

No joke was seriously just thinking about that beer when I posted this if you live in central Illinois last year the Binny’s in Bloomington had it as early as late July on shelves last year. That and the Leinenkugel Oktoberfest.

4. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,083) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

last years hofbrau octoberfestbier was good too.

5. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,855) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

I'm pumped. I'd drink Oktoberfest beers year-round if they were available.

6. Shanex

Shanex Meyvn (1,313) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Count me in.

It’s never too early for Oktoberfestbier.

I mean don’t we have Christmas ale available right in late October as well?

Cheers.

7. officerbill

officerbill Aspirant (268) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

We have lots on the shelves here.

Oh, wait, did you meant this fall?

8. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,498) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Not an Oktoberfest but ready for Bell's Brown Ale to hit the shelves.

As for Oktoberfest, ready for a 4 pack La Cumbre's.

jcos, SFACRKnight, BruChef and 2 others like this.
  9. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,035) Sep 24, 2007 Montserrat
    Trader

Christ, Summer just started a few days ago, let's not rush things.

10. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,214) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Summer started back in mid-June, man... well, technically. :wink:

JimboBrews54 and FBarber like this.
  11. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,432) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I'm still willing to drink Maibocks if I find them. Oh wait, I still have several in my fridge. :slight_smile: My two brothers gifted me with so much hoppy beer in late May and that has been my drinking priority, so I've allowed the Maibocks to get pushed to the back. A nice problem to have.

No, I'm not ready for Octoberfests yet, and I haven't seen them on store shelves yet.

12. steveh

I had my last HB Maibock over the past weekend... it had oxidized a little. However, SN Summerfest has been on sale for a couple months now and is drinking rather nice... I can hold out for some more Autumn-like weather before I start hunting Festbier.

13. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,057) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

I was just about to say that I am still catching up on the Maibocks in my fridge. It's going to be 90 degrees in NJ all week so I can't even start thinking about Oktoberfests yet. Who am I kidding... it's one of my favorite styles so maybe I have been thinking about them just a little. :wink:

If I remember correctly, this year's HB Maibock was bottled in Jan or Feb. That's right in line with when I noticed a dropoff in their Oktoberfestbier, around the 6-month mark.

14. drh88

drh88 Zealot (539) Dec 21, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Just saw Block House Pumpkin Ale - arrived yesterday at one of my favorite beer stores. It's only July 9th, Yikes !!

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  15. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Disciple (379) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

This is the best time of the year imo. Well, Fall is actually. But, love me some Fall beers. Count me in for at least a 6 of SN Oktoberfest, a pumpkin beer or 2, and some Fresh Hop beers.

NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS and Scrapss like this.
  16. Beer_Baron87

Beer_Baron87 Initiate (28) Feb 15, 2019 Florida

It’s always summer in FL, so anytime I can find something tasty outside of the IPA realm I’m happy.

Probably a couple more weeks til we start seeing them, but I’m ready.

17. BeastOfTheNortheast

18. officerbill

Society Trader

[​IMG]

There's a case on the shelf.

eppCOS, AlcahueteJ and Scrapss like this.
  19. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (516) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

I can’t wait to have both SN Summerfest and Oktoberfest in my fridge at the same time. Can let the weather determine which I drink.

20. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Aspirant (266) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

I hate summers :|

Aren't you from the Northeast?

BrewsOverHoes likes this.
  21. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,035) Sep 24, 2007 Montserrat
    Trader

The Fourth Corner, Bellingham WA. Summer here starts July 5th. Lasts until early October, then it rains til July 5th.

rgordon, nc41, meefmoff and 5 others like this.
  22. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,855) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

You shut your mouth! I'll drink Oktoberfest beer and 12% Imperial Stouts in 97 degree weather. I'll drink a winter warmer in August.

Fight the man.

23. steveh

Yike. Pointed that date out to anyone (besides us)?

24. Raime

Raime Meyvn (1,294) Jun 4, 2012 Korea (North)

I just want a 12% imperial stout for the upcoming Michigan heatwave. Nothing quite like it when sitting in that good ole humidity induced swamp ass while swatting mosquitoes.

25. Scrapss

Scrapss Champion (847) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Fuck yeah I am ready

Ditto.

Holy schnoikies!!!!!! 20181210? Jeeeeebbbbuuuuusssss

26. BeastOfTheNortheast

Idk whether to be surprised or not. That beer isn't very good, but I guess it should have been taken off the shelves a few months ago.

officerbill and Scrapss like this.
  27. invertalon

invertalon Crusader (758) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

I've been ready for the Oktoberfestbiers!

Last year, my girlfriend and I both did blind taste testing of Oktoberfests... We did a traditional bracket type thing and split it up into three different days a few days in-between each tasting so we were not burned out. The winner from each of those two were then placed in a final, third bracket for the finale with a few of the runner ups.

The winner, blind for both me and my girlfriend was Hofbrau. That beer was absolutely phenomenal last year!

My runner up was Fat Head's, hers was Alesmith.

The entire lineup...

Sam Adams
    Paulaner Marzen
    Weihenstephan (I recall we had a skunky bottle, so it didn't fare well)
    Alesmith
    Fat Heads
    Sierra Nevada
    Saucy
    Columbus Brewing
    Hofbrau
    Sibling Revelry
    Market Garden
    Great Lakes
    Ayinger
    Spaten (also a little skunky)
    Bells

Looking forward to doing it again this year!

#27 invertalon, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  28. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,160) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

We always have fall beer on the shelves around here.

29. Glider

Glider Zealot (514) Nov 15, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I should be ready come August. The occasional cool breeze and feel in the air remind me that fall is coming. And hopefully it won’t be hitting 90 every day. Looking to try even more Oktoberfest beers this year.

Scrapss likes this.
  30. officerbill

Society Trader

Yeah, they don't care. One of the Asst. Managers asked if I needed help while I was taking these photos yesterday. I pointed out that the beer was a year old, he chuckled and said "yeah, it's not a big seller".
    The distributor takes care of the usual suspects the rest just sits until it's sold.
    The best thing is that these are sitting one shelf up from 2 6-packs of Kellerweiss bottled last August.

They have a whole bunch of these in the "build your own" rack if you're getting tired of summer.
    [​IMG]

31. JoeWalsh

JoeWalsh Initiate (156) Mar 20, 2019 Illinois
    Society

32. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,003) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Meteorological summer started June 1st. So summer is half over!

Why do you shop there?

jcos and Scrapss like this.
  33. officerbill

Society Trader

It's a good, convenient grocery store. I can pick up 2 month old Oberon, Sierraveza, or SNPA while grocery shopping. When I'm beer shopping I go to Wegman's or Sam the Beer Man (actual beer store).

The problem is that a couple of years ago they decided to go after the "craft" crowd and stocked a decent sized beer section with some really good beers. Sadly, they misjudged what their customers wanted.

As scattered 6 packs were sold the craft/import section shrank and no new stock was ordered. Now they keep selections from 8 or 10 "name brand" crafts rotating in the cooler while what were once good beers sit on a crowded shelf and over 1/3 of the cooler space is devoted to hard cider/tea/soda/seltzer which sells like crazy.

34. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

Well maybe if Brewery’s would stop releasing there spring/summer seasonal’s as early as January . No joke I found NEW.. not old.. NEW fresh batches of Leinenkugel summer shandy in early January... I also found Sierra Nevadas summer variety pack and New Belgium’s Spring Variety Pack in early January.. I have had my favorite spring/summer seasonal’s since January.. I’m ready for something different.

Beer_Economicus and officerbill like this.
  35. JoeWalsh

JoeWalsh Initiate (156) Mar 20, 2019 Illinois
    Society

Yeah, some breweries act like they're in the clothing industry, where they always stock for next season instead of the current one.

jcos and officerbill like this.
  36. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,003) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

That's the greatest name for a liquor store ever.

Well, second greatest. We have a local store called, "Bunghole Liquors".

37. Lordquackingstic

Lordquackingstic Disciple (335) Jun 14, 2011 New York
    Trader

The owners at Sam the Beer Man are assholes and have no idea what they're doing when it comes to craft beer. They make the vast majority of their sales selling kegs to local bars. I appreciate what they're trying to do, but Wegmans is doing such a good job of expanding their beer selection and getting more and more stuff that I find absolutely no reason to go to Sam the Beer Man anymore.

38. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,041) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Your avatar.....I swear, if Sierra Nevada brings Tumbler back (AGAIN) before they bring back Glissade Golden Bock I'll lose my shit and you'll be the one to blame! :rage::laughing:

NateHeck, FBarber, ESHBG and 3 others like this.
  39. eppCOS

eppCOS Savant (931) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Well, a little soon, but as someone who has their holiday lights up all year (Hey, they're solar!) - I really can't harsh on anyone's beer seasonality. So drink 'em when you find 'em!

40. officerbill

Society Trader

They've always been professional and courteous to me. The floor workers don't know each individual beer, but they are pretty good on styles.

Yes, they do make most of their money selling big beer in bulk and kegs (only place I know of around here that still carries kegs). No problem special ordering, without pre-pay, and they carry varieties wegman's doesn't. Like any other beer store you do need to check dates. Other than being small, crowded, and on the opposite side of town, I don't have any real complaints about them (see my review).

I also like wegman's, but their craft section hasn't expanded for a while and is suffering from hard seltzer & cider creep. Most of the time they have what I'm looking for and it's a much better shopping experience.

Small, locally owned beer stores are important and I'm happy to split my business between the two.

Lordquackingstic and JoeWalsh like this.