Fall is the most complained about seasonal release

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by geocool, Jul 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geocool

geocool Disciple (339) Jun 21, 2006 Massachusetts

We all know that seasonal beers come out way way before the season they're "meant" for begins. But I've noticed that the early release of Fall seasonals (just mentioned in another thread started today) is far and away complained about the most. I rarely see complaints when Spring beers are out in January or Summer beers start hitting the shelves in April. Even the Winter/Christmas beers that are out before Halloween get fewer complaints, probably because our culture is so bombarded by everything Christmas that the beers don't really stand out. I'd say the second biggest complaint about seasonals is that the Fall ones are also all sold out and gone far too soon.

So please don't use this thread to complain about Fall seasonals, but please do post if you have or haven't noticed the same thing, and why do you think this is? Is it because we're perennially in denial about the impending end of summer? Is there a broader allegory to be found here?

jRocco2021 likes this.
  2. JulianC

JulianC Aspirant (222) Mar 9, 2012 Illinois

Part of it is the love/hate people have with Pumpkin beers.

Another is perhaps the misunderstanding that Octoberfest really occurs in September, so mid-late August release of Octoberfest beers may cause confusion for some, but is actually an appropriate time.

3. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (437) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

I did notice complaints when SA Alpine Spring came out mid January and the snow was still falling well through February in CT. I'm not ready for spring/summer beers till at least April/May where the temps finally get out of the 60's. The weather plays a big part in the kind of beer that I want to enjoy - While I'm glad to see fall seasonals, I'm not ready for fall weather just yet. I'm enjoying this heat wave and spending time in the pool after work.

keithmurray likes this.
  4. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Defender (651) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

Being from Massachusetts as well I think it has more to do with the changing seasons than the beer itself. Most of the complaints I hear come from my wife (who happens to be a teacher) and have more to do with the end of the summer seasonals than the start of the fall seasonals. Although she does like her Pumpkin beers. I'll make due with Tumbler.

Donkster46 likes this.
  5. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2011 New York

I think there are a number of factors.

1. The prevalence of fall beers. It seems there are more fall themed beers than any other seasonal.
    2. The fall themed beers are so synonymous with the season as well. Pumpkins=Halloween and Pumpkin Pie/Thanksgiving/Christmas. Oktoberfest beers although occurring in September obviously has the name October in it.
    3. Biggest reason I think is that fall themed beers go well in cold weather and are released in the hottest part of the year. Winter beers are usually released in the fall when it's still cold so it's ok to drink. Summer beers are released in the spring when it's warm. Spring beers, well, no one cares about spring beers haha.

That's my thought.

6. JulianC

JulianC Aspirant (222) Mar 9, 2012 Illinois

Oberon in March this year was pretty ridiculous though... we were still shoveling.

7. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,935) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Based on last year I think no one needs to worry that Tumbler will sell out too soon.

As to why, I think it's that all retailers think in terms of making their profit for the year fall and winter.

otispdriftwood likes this.
  8. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Mine too. Especially #3 - except that I care about Spring beers.

9. BumpkinBrewer

BumpkinBrewer Disciple (327) Jan 6, 2010 Massachusetts

Summer is finally rolling along....then the pumpkin beers come out. Rage ensues within!

BottleCaps80 and draheim like this.
  10. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Chad

Yes - I have noticed the same thing. It's not something I lose sleep over. According to my bottle shop owner, after 10/31 pumpkin beers pretty much stop selling - breweries gotta strike early.

Why don't they make the whole plane out of the black box material?

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  11. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (610) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

I've always thought they did well until December

12. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Aspirant (260) Dec 16, 2011 Michigan

I have absolutely no qualms about buying all the fall/winter beers now and throwing them in the fridge until the weather gets colder. I actually prefer it hit because I'll have zero money for beer around the holidays due to holiday shopping.

keithmurray likes this.
  13. Handle

Handle Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2009 North Carolina

This is the point I was going to make. I love pumpkin beers, but only in season. Everything else, I'll drink just about any time throughout the year (with the exception of Christmas beers, but for whatever reason I don't get as excited for those as I do for pumpkin beers in the fall).

14. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Aspirant (222) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

Snow clouds took a dump on us in May!

15. Danny1217

Danny1217 Champion (826) Jul 15, 2011 Florida
    Trader

Because Punkin always sells out pretty quickly and I would love to be able to drink more throughout October and November.

16. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,935) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Keep in mind TheMonkfish is in Chad.

MSandahl23 likes this.
  17. otispdriftwood

I for one wouldn't mind if Celebration came out tomorrow.

18. jmmy3

jmmy3 Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2010 Massachusetts

I find that alot of pumpkin ales don't hold up very well with time, so it makes sense that we would want them to be released at a more appropriate time. Mid/late August, you'll get no complaints from me, but its mid July and 90 degrees out, come on.

19. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,970) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Before the hop harvest? I guess it'd finally satisfy the annual cries of "it's not as hoppy as last year" from the beer conspiracy theorists for once.

"Well, no, no it's not. Not with the hops still on the bines up in the Pacific Northwest..."

:wink:

20. otispdriftwood

Of course, not before the hop harvest. Just making a point that I don't care when certain beers are released and used Celebration as an example cuz I enjoy it soooo much.

21. SenorHops

SenorHops Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 Rhode Island

I welcome the end of summers in RI. Too hot and muggy. I hate sweating in 95 degree heat with 100% humidity. Bring on fall with rye beers, hoppy browns and football!

22. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,740) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

What I came here to say. Summer isn't even my favorite season, but it's probably the one that many people look forward to the most—for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with beer. So here we are, enjoying mid-July (the only month out of the year when temperatures steadily stay in the 70s around these parts)... and then breweries start dropping all these fall beers and remind us that the cooler, shorter days of autumn are right around the corner. Like, let us just enjoy summer for Christ's sake. Fall will be here soon enough.

Also, as others have said, fall beers are just not appropriate and don't taste as good in the summertime, because they're generally heavier and darker.

Droopy487, malvrich and Zone_Fighter like this.
  23. Mahde

Mahde Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2012 New Jersey

While I love pumpkin beers, I am also guilty about complaining when they come out in August. Doesn't mean I won't be stocking up on Pumking. Hoping to find some Schlafly this year too.

24. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,970) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Just tweaking the participants of yearly bitchfest re: Celebration hoppiness - well ahead of time. :wink:

(It's easier to take when you resign yourself to the fact that it's coming - along with Celebration Ale itself. So, that's the bonus).

beertunes likes this.
  25. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2004 Kentucky

My general rule is I dont buy Ofest beers until Labor Day. So a mid-August release is perfectly fine. But mid-August is not when they get released (ignoring the year round ones).

26. spartan1979

spartan1979 Zealot (576) Dec 29, 2005 Missouri
    Society

It may be that people look forward to spring and summer. When those beers come out, it's a positive reminder of what's coming. Fall means we're heading closer to winter and seeing those beers early is negative reminder.

mtalley999 likes this.
  27. bdub32689

bdub32689 Initiate (0) May 19, 2011 Massachusetts

Its a give and take situation. Many smaller craft brewers are able to take advantage of the popularity of pumpkin or other spiced beers, obv some are better then others but the sales help them pay the bills and supplement developing other beers. Yes the beer snobs will complain about the cinnamon sugar rim offered at most bars.

The biggest complaint I have is the ridiculous labels and names that promote them more as a novelty item when in fact these styles have been around for a while and could be drank year round.

dn2222 likes this.
  28. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (345) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

Ugh nothing worse than frenzied noobs buying cases of pumking like they just found something rare+awesome. It's one of the worst things I've ever encountered. I'm not totally anti-pumpkin beer but that one's hype+marketing+fan base is the worst.

jRocco2021 likes this.
  29. otispdriftwood

Tweak away sir. I was thinking about Celebration ale last night sitting in my Florida room at 85 degrees imagining when it will be cool and breezy.

30. Ragnarok88

Ragnarok88 Initiate (0) May 30, 2013 Minnesota

I think people are more pissed this year, because it was snowing until May in parts of the country. Now we're irritated with the fact they are talking about fall when summer is just getting going.

31. leedorham

leedorham Crusader (742) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

I swear complaints about people complaining about early seasonal beers are the most common complaints about complaints on BA.

32. ChanChan

ChanChan Devotee (434) Dec 12, 2009 California

For me its all bout money, it's really hard to try and budget for multiple bottles of multiple expensive beers, so I would rather have some of those beers be released midwinter!!

33. SenorHops

Stop complaining.

malvrich and geneseohawk like this.
  34. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (374) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

My favorite fall seasonals tend to be the harvest and wet/fresh-hop beers put out by all sorts of breweries, which, dependent as they are upon the harvest season, don't seem as subject to the seasonal-creep of Oktoberfest and pumpkin brews.

If I had a sixer of some Oktoberfest beer right now I doubt I'd be too enthusiastic about it; this summer heat's got me shying away from maltier and more robust brews.

35. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

fall releases tend to be boring or not that good. there are a few really good Oktoberfest and pumpkin beers, but most are kinda blah. Wet hop beers are nice though.

36. EyePeeAyBryan

EyePeeAyBryan Crusader (728) Dec 20, 2011 Arizona
    Trader

I enjoy a good beer any time. I also live in AZ and it's just kind of hard to put back "fall" beers with those typical holiday spices when it's still 100+ degrees in August/September/October. We get a very short window to enjoy heavy stouts with cooler winter weather so for me, I enjoy the beers to match the weather since we drink alot outside here in the SW region. No REAL complaints but I prefer the seasonal beers to match the season...that's all.

Retail1LO likes this.
  37. sacrelicio

that's part of it, but I like winter seasonals more than most fall seasonals.

Retail1LO likes this.
  38. Pegli

Pegli Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2006 Rhode Island

You forgot about the mosquitoes the size of 747s...who prefer beer drinkers.

My complaint is not with fall beers arriving too early but with winter seasonals pushing them off the shelves before Halloween...and don't get me started on Christmas - there's a song about 13 days for a reason.

PackPride and Givemebeer like this.
  39. sacrelicio

yeah I agree. I never understand the whole "it's spring! stop drinking imperial stouts and switch to wits!" or "it's winter! put down that kolsch and have a barleywine!" The only time I care what beer I am having is when it is super hot and humid. That's the only time a heavier beer is unappealing.

40. SenorHops

Yeah. And I've noticed since moving from Pawtucket to Glocester that the number of mosquitos has tripled as well as the size of them. Can't even go outside from dusk til dawn without a can of Deep Woods Off on.

Pegli likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.