Far Out IPA

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by JayORear, May 9, 2013.

1. JayORear

JayORear Feb 22, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

This is a relatively new one from Bootlegger's (they do Knuckle Sandwich), and I'm surprised no one's talking about it. The mediocre reviews here on BA are all for the on-tap version, and I've been drinking it by the bomber the last several nights and loving it. I've heard from more than one person that they enjoy bottled KS more than on-tap, and I'm wondering if something similar is going on with Far Out; i.e., it's just better from the bottle.

Anyone else drinking this and liking it?

skinsfan likes this.
  2. Mersh

Mersh Mar 10, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I'm dying to try it.

3. sirsteve42

sirsteve42 Jan 15, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Send me a bottle and ill make sure to give you my feedback immediately ;)

4. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

There is only one real mediocre review for the on tap reviews. Now I want to get a bottle to compare.

5. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Mar 28, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Had it yesterday at the brewery on tap and thought it was legit. I checked the reviews that night and thought wow did I have the same beer?

6. Lagger

Lagger Jan 18, 2013 California

Had a few bombers from this year, no tap pours. Thought last years was slighty better, but it's still a freakin great beer. Galaxy rocks. Would like to try it against TIPA just for s hits & giggles.

7. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Dec 11, 2006 California

And I would like to try Gandhi-Bot ;) (I live close to Bootleggers)

2beerdogs likes this.
  8. sukwonee

sukwonee Dec 13, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

are Bootleggers beers easily found in LA? I am dying to try this and Knuckle Sandwich during my trip next week

9. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Dec 11, 2006 California

Bootleggers is pretty much everywhere. Knuckle Sandwich is another thing though. In Orange County it's actually kind of rare to see it in liquor stores, so I imagine it would be the same in LA. I don't really think it's that special anyway, but you won't know until you try it! Make the trip to the brewery, it's not that far (without traffic, of course).

Peep their site:

http://www.bootleggersbrewery.com/index.php/2008080921/Find-our-Beer/find-our-beers.html

10. Paramecium

Paramecium Jun 23, 2010 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Knuckle is starting to be seen around more often but it still moves fast at stores. Go to the tasting room and they should have it though.

11. Mersh

Beer Trader

Don't live in Cali so just hopping over to the brewery is pretty slim. Lol. Trust me if I lived in Cali, I would for sure be in AA meetings with the amount of awesome local brew out there. We are a bit cheated over here in CT.

12. cavedave

cavedave Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

NEBCO is a fantastic brewery and anyone who can't get any of their stupid delicious beers are the ones who are cheated. You can drive to Vermont from Conn. anytime, and you are close enough to NY to get all of Peekskill and Capt. Lawrence beers if you want. You miss out on nothing nowadays, it's the W. Coasters who miss out now.

Knuckle Sandwich is a malty and piney IIPA that isn't even in my personal top 25 best, I imagine this new one is the same, thick and not very refreshing, but with different hops.

RaulMondesi, otispdriftwood and Mersh like this.
  13. Mersh

Beer Trader

I love NEBCO, by far my favorite CT brewer. I'm not saying there isn't great brew out here, I know there is. Wish I had the time to make the drives for some seriously monster brews that are a car trek away. Unfortunately I can't find the time with work and the kids.

The west coast has some great brewers as well and there is a lot out there and Midwest that I would love to taste. Always wanted to taste KS because I've heard a lot of good things about it and I love DIPA's.

We are definitely lucky to have the great beers and brewers here on the east. I just would like to see what my palate thinks of it. Cheers!!!

cavedave likes this.
  14. cavedave

cavedave Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Yeah, not trying to discourage you at all, especially as I speak from long experience, and love so many of the W. Coast beers I have tried. Off the top of my head my favorites are Bad Boy, Hoppy Birthday, Nelson, Kern Citra, Just Outstanding, Blind Pig, Aroma Coma, Denogginizer, Hop Venom, Notorious, Hop Henge, Cowiche Canyon, so very many good ones.

My point was now we have an equally great list of equally great hoppy pale ales to choose from, including the best of them all, Heady Topper.

DrAwkward82 likes this.
  15. Mersh

Beer Trader

Didn't think you were my friend. I respect everyone's opinion on here, well mostly everyone, lol. I'm always looking to learn. I've been drinking craft for many years myself, I'm a little new to BA but I enjoy having this site for so many reasons. I can always learn more and meet some great people as well as get some great trades. You seem very knowledgeable and I thank you for your knowledge as well.

The east is definitely becoming a threat and it's great for all of us over here. Heady is definitely the king. I finally had it a few months ago and was so happy it lived up to all the "hype" and more. Currently working on setting up a road trip to get some.

Cheers My Friend.

cavedave likes this.
  16. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Oct 24, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

FO >>> KS
    Not even close for me.
    Do they do growler fills of this?

Also, I thought tapped KS is better than bottled.

2beerdogs likes this.
  17. JayORear

Beer Trader

Got an e-mail from them a couple weeks ago saying the next release of Knuckle is going to be in June.

18. JayORear

Beer Trader

It's way lighter and juicier than Knuckle Sandwich IMO. All I know is I can't stop drinking it--that's coming from someone who drinks Blind Pig regularly.

Wish I could argue with you on East v. West, but my refrigerator would betray me: I've been trading for East coast stuff like mad.

cavedave and Mersh like this.
  19. Mersh

Beer Trader

This is why we have BA, so we can all share in making refrigerators jealous. ;)

cavedave likes this.
  20. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Jan 31, 2005 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

It's not thick, actually medium to lite in the mouth, a bit piney..pretty good.

21. dcgunman

dcgunman Jul 1, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

I was at the Boot Brewery Sat afternoon for the Lupulin Thrill IPA. But it was all gone by the time I got there. Was hoping for a growler fill. Oh well. I've had the Far Out a few time now. The first time a year or two ago when Boot first released it. It was okay then. I was into their KS then. Then I saw they released it in bottles a month or so ago. I picked up two bottles and had one. I thought it was good. Since they were out of the Lupulin Thrill I had a pint of the Far Out on tap. My first thought was I liked it out of the bottle over tap. Still a good IPA for Boot. Much better than their Rustic Rye by far. But not as good as their Lupulin Thrill. If you like Far Out and never had their Lupulin Thrill I would say try it. I think you would like the Lupulin better than the Far Out. Just too bad it was gone over the weekend. I still like a good KS every now and then, but I prefer their Lupulin over KS. I think it's one of their better IPA's as you can see it went quick on Saturday with KS out. Far Out is my #3 from Boot.

22. Lagger

Lagger Jan 18, 2013 California

I like Far Out better than Lupilin. More west coasty

dcgunman likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe