News Farewell Rayon Vert 4-packs

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Harnkus, Nov 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harnkus

Harnkus Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 New York

Pahn and denver10 like this.
  2. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (2,904) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

That article doesn't say anything about Rayon Vert except that year round 4 packs are a goner. Says nothing about whether there will still be 4 packs, seasonally, 22 oz Bomber size, or 750 ml size bottles.

And since they are reducing the number of beers to be released in Bombers (22 oz) I'd doubt they are moving Rayon Vert to that size bottle. So year round is probably what's gone.

#2 drtth, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  3. bramsdell

bramsdell Aspirant (278) May 27, 2011 North Carolina

I am sad. This beer as seen some serious price creep in the last two years or so, but it's still the best representation of pure Brett flavor.

4. SLOCruzin

SLOCruzin Aspirant (220) Sep 30, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

That's too bad. It is the cheapest and most convenient Brett fix out there. Hopefully they still offer 4 packs seasonally if nothing else .

5. hagbergl

hagbergl Devotee (405) Aug 27, 2009 Maryland

I second the love for this beer and lament the price creep and backing off from full-year availability. Are brett-infused beers more costly to make? Do they take longer to make? I'll defer to the home brewers here on that. Possibly higher cost or longer time may have justified the changes GF is making. Of course, they make great IPAs, so they may also be trying to concentrate on the styles of beer that are bringing in the most money.

6. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (1,228) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Beer Trader Subscriber

It can take slightly longer to ferment if it's all brett and not sacc helping it out.

I'm not fond of RV myself, I like the brett. flavor, but the beer was a gushing/foaming mess most of the time.

king75 and johnsonni like this.
  7. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Meyvn (1,448) Aug 29, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Extrapolating demand from the lower-than-expected ratings on BA (only 3.85 rAvg), I would hazard a guess that this beer just isn't moving off the shelves with the speed that matches Green Flash's output. I realize that this is a beer that does well over time, but I'm sure GF wants the beer on the shelves to be predominantly fresh, with consumers making the choice to age or not.

Therefore, I have to agree with the already-mentioned suspicion that this is moving to seasonal release, but staying in 4-packs. And honestly, as someone who really likes this beer, I'm okay with that. Buying a 4-pack or two during its seasonal availability would be just about right to last me a year, as I tend to vary my beer consumption quite a bit.

But let's not bury the lead here--what is Road Warrior? I couldn't find any info on it other than the note in this article that it debuts in 2014.

FPWolff and nsheehan like this.
  8. Rekrule

Rekrule Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

From the article it sound like another DIPA. Yawn.

9. LambicPentameter

Beer Trader

I was hoping that I inferred that incorrectly, but you're right--the way it's listed makes it sound like another DIPA, like Palate Wrecker and Green Bullet. Which is obnoxious.

johnsonni likes this.
  10. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,730) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania

I brew beers using Brett and has been previously mentioned the only 'issue' is a longer fermentation timeframe.

A beer that is brewed with Brett and is reasonably priced is Victory Helios.

Cheers!

cestlavie and DIM like this.
  11. Rekrule

Rekrule Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

To spice it up they will probably call it a triple or quadruple IPA. So extreme.

the_trystero likes this.
  12. patkorn

patkorn Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2007 California

Road Warrior is the new name of the Imperial Red Rye that was released earlier this year.

13. patkorn

patkorn Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2007 California

So why is Rayon Vert being being retired? It isn't,it is just going to be made in the off site Barrel House that is in the works. Once the site has been secured and built out it will be one of the first beers to be produced there. It will more than likely come in either a 500ml or 750ml. As someone who has made that beer I am bummed we will not be making it for awhile. That is my shift beer usually. But I am excited that with the new facility and Chucks work on the carbonation issues this beer will be better than ever. Thanks to all for your support.

Pat Korn
    Green Flash Brewing Co.

P.S.-Palette Wrecker release party at the brewery December 3rd. Beer is tasting good!!!!

14. LambicPentameter

Beer Trader

So what kind of delay are we talking about here? I'm guessing quite awhile if you guys haven't yet secured the site for the Barrel House.

I have to say I'm not wild about the larger format. I don't particularly care about the (presumably) new price point, but one of the things I love about Rayon Vert is the fact that I can have one when I'm not drinking with friends or planning on getting sloshed. That will be harder to do with a pint or 750.

wspscott, JackHorzempa and SLOCruzin like this.
  15. rgordon

rgordon Defender (675) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

It's a Mel Gibson/Green Flash collaberation. The tag line, "The beer to drink when driving. Drink now, rant later". Road Warrior, that is.

16. Harnkus

It's no longer brewed with Brett.

Anyway, this news is still bad news to me. Love RV to bits

17. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,730) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania

I have no specific recollection of the exact date I had my last bottle of Helios but that beer was fermented with Brett. Do you know when they stopped using Brett with this beer?

It appears that once the new brewery in Parkesburg is fully up and running it will be back?

“Covaleski shares a lot of information on some of the 45 yeast strains they use out of their lab. Another tidbit…remember Wild Devil (and yes some of the carbonation issues)? Victory plans to get into Brett fermentation again soon after the new brewery opens.”

http://beerpulse.com/2013/06/victor...ns-plans-to-get-back-into-brett-fermentation/

Cheers!

18. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,013) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

As I was waiting for this page to load, I had my fingers crossed hoping the title was being intentionally deceptive and that RV was gonna be in sixers now. Too bad :(

the_trystero and EBeckett3 like this.
  19. e34john

e34john Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Yea we need 4 packs, I don't too much room to age larger bottles.

20. raynmoon

raynmoon Defender (693) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Get rid of saison diego. Ughh

21. dagimp

dagimp Aspirant (268) Nov 18, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

I'm a big fan of Rayon Vert, carbonation and all. However, I won't be buying it anymore in larger bottles. I like having the 12 oz size and it fits perfectly for this beer. I'm also not going to pay more for a beer just because it's in a larger bottle. Sorry, making a stand on this one. Put it back in 12oz bottles at a reasonable price and you'll win me back.

JBogan and Dad like this.
  22. Giantspace

Giantspace Devotee (497) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Time to buy it all up now

Enjoy

23. dvelcich

dvelcich Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2008 Illinois

I love RV. It's the most affordable brett bomb out there. It's good to hear it's coming back, and I appreciate you acknowledging the carb issue and doing something about it, but don't take away our 4 packs!

24. Danny1217

Danny1217 Champion (837) Jul 15, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

I'm pretty sure Helios is made with brett, it is just pasteurized before bottling, so it doesn't age in the bottle.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  25. Harnkus

Perhaps, but I was right nevertheless, mister hole poker

26. Harnkus

You might be right, and I, just misinformed. Either way, love Helios

MickJ0nes likes this.
  27. ndepriest

ndepriest Aspirant (260) Feb 21, 2012 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Unless you guys have already gotten label approval for this beer (and maybe even if you have), I might consider a name change as this beer exists, and I know Terrapin, rightfully so, has asked brewers not to use beer names they currently employ.

28. drtth

Where does it say in the original or in the follow on clarification in this thread from the brewery that the beer is going into bombers? 500 ml and 750 ml sizes are not bombers mister ....

maltmaster420 likes this.
  29. Harnkus

in my nabe, a 750 is a bomber...regardless of what a pedant like yourself might fuss over

my statement was fairly accurate, where as your retort was way off

30. Dupage25

Dupage25 Aspirant (279) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

Never got around to trying it and I guess I won't now.

31. drtth

Lol! Whatever works for you. As for me, a bit more than 3 oz of beer is a difference worth caring about, not having cash to burn.

#31 drtth, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  32. rgordon

rgordon Defender (675) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

My next story will be, "Mr. Holepoker".
    Well, a 750 is 25.4 oz and a bomber is 22 oz. So I'm gonna call a 750 a bomber and a bomber a 750 and we'll be close to even, OK?

33. Harnkus

that difference is negligible when you consider how much you'll be losing when it moves away from 4-packs (the woe of my post)

34. BrettHead

BrettHead Devotee (473) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

Just because everyone around you wants/likes to be wrong does not make it so.

bomber = 22oz

maltmaster420 and THANAT0PSIS like this.
  35. JBogan

JBogan Champion (814) Jul 15, 2007 California

Looks like another beer I won't be purchasing any more. The 4 bottle format was perfect for my needs. Sorry to see it go and be replaced by yet another large bottle format.

EBeckett3 likes this.
  36. Giantspace

Giantspace Devotee (497) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Sold out at my distributor. On the hunt for 24-48 bottles

Enjoy

37. Miketwolf21

Miketwolf21 Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2009 Minnesota

After having sampled this beer for the first time two months ago, I was absolutely blown away it. It was a clinic to pour, but patience was rewarded with the smack on the palate of the best brett beer I have ever had. In fact, this beer is one of my all time favorites. Unfortunately, Green Flash hadn't made its trip to my area yet and I was left to dry. I live in Minnesota and was elated, to say the least, to buy it locally when Green Flash arrived in my state about a month ago. They say that distance makes the heart grow fonder... I guess I will just have to drown my sorrows in some West Coast IPA.

38. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,449) Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

agree with the whininess of the OP. market necessities or not, this is a step in the direction.

39. EBeckett3

EBeckett3 Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2013 New Jersey

Bummer. A favorite memory is seeing the rayon vert on the Cape (MA) while drinking Rayon Vert. Ah well, captalism has its virtues and vices - "Money doesn't talk, it swears."

40. readyski

readyski Aspirant (227) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

Thanks for pointing this out, picked up a 4 pack at bevmo, as remembered, may cellar a couple

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More