Fat Orange Cat, East Hampton CT

Discussion in 'New England' started by mjco04, May 23, 2017.

1. mjco04

mjco04 Initiate (177) May 30, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Starting this thread to keep everyone up to date with the happenings at one of my favorite CT breweries!

2. HankSchrader

HankSchrader Initiate (111) Dec 20, 2016 Connecticut

I saw they announced they will be doing 4 pack and crowler sales on Sundays now. This place is quickly outgrowing their backyard-barn brewery.

3. mjco04

Beer Trader

Yeah I am planning to hopefully visit more often before they totally blow up.

4. MattKozaka

MattKozaka Initiate (111) May 15, 2017 Connecticut

Made my first visit on Saturday. Got there about 5 minutes before open and was about 20th in line. About half went directly to can sales as did I. Husband and wife were running that operation; very efficient and friendly. Few minutes at that station followed by about 5 more minutes getting custom crowlers. Place is tight but cool vibe - reminds me of Funky Bow in Maine if anyone is familiar. Families with young kids (under 8) having picnics; goats to feed/pet; neighbors helping out the owners. Very communal.
    Anyway, the beers:
    Grabbed two 4 packs of Severe Tire Damage and crowlers of Breakfast in Bed, Hannah Banana and The Frog.
    All very good beers, 3.75 - 4.25.
    Banana was the star - right on in vein of NEIPA. Followed by the cans of Severe Tire Damage. Pricey at $15 per 4 pack but am comfortable comparing to Two Juicy. The Frog is all Mosaic but seemed heavier on sweet malt vs typical papaya/tangerine of the hops. Lacked the bitterness of a Captain's Daughter. The stout was tame as well; coffee was minimal although maple came out little stronger on second glass. Seemed to be just a very (very) sweet milk stout. Which is fine for the style, just expected more coffee as advertised. Crowlers a little pricey as well, $12 for 32 ounces.
    Will definitely revisit. Easy excuse for a family excursion and solid hoppy beers. Need to try the Jalapeno Cream next time.

OntheLambic and mjco04 like this.
  5. mjco04

Beer Trader

I would love to try the Hannah Banana! So far to me it's been Take No Prisoners being the star. But since I can't there as often as I can it's hard to keep up with new releases.

6. Onemoresolo

Onemoresolo Disciple (330) Jul 21, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

July thread bump!

[​IMG]

I stopped here last week after leaving Fox Farm and was quite impressed. The renovated barn was adorable, and the beer was mighty tasty. I left with a 4pk of Launch, which definitely improved after a couple of days in my fridge, and this crowler of Ella, opened about a week after canning. The flavors in Ella are a bit more dense and complex than Launch, and the beer is showing much better than the sample pour indicated @ the brewery.

Going on a Sunday felt like going to a weird tag sale, but the place is adorable and the beer is tasty. I'd highly recommend going, and will definitely be back.

Edit: Oh, and for what it's worth, Jalapeno Jack was my first exposure to FOC. It's brilliant in its execution: all jalapeno flavor without any significant heat. Very unique and flavorful beer. Crowlers @ the brewery today too, if anyone's looking for it.

mjco04 and sulldaddy like this.
  7. mjco04

Beer Trader

I went this Saturday too (second time). Got 4k of Launch and Severe but to me the highlight was Solstice DIPA. That beer was so good. The Maple Stout could use a bit of tinkering to make the mouthfeel a bit thicker but also was good.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.