Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Favorite Colorado IPAs?

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by hoppytobehere, Aug 31, 2013.

1. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

What are you favorite IPAs brewed in Colorado? Odell IPA and their Myrcenary are my go-to's. TRVE's Tunnel of Trees is probably next on the list. But I can only get that at their brewery/bar.

Looking for new ones to discover, what are your favorites?

2. Domingo

Domingo Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

You named several of my faves. Modus from Ska is just as good as the Odell, too.
    Dry Dock's DIPA is another I like. Wit's End's Green Man and B&B's Man Beer, too.
    While it's definitely closer to an English IPA (and NOT a hop bomb), Breckenridge's Lucky U is one I enjoy and can have 2-3 of. It's not a geeky beer, but man can I put those down.

Oh yeah. RUMBLE. That's all I need to say.

GClarkage and LoganStegman like this.
  3. dauss

dauss Aug 9, 2003 Colorado
    Beer Trader

In no particular order, Avery, Odell, Ska Modus and Great Divide Rumble.

Prospero likes this.
  4. Jumbolaya

Jumbolaya Jul 27, 2013 Colorado

In addition to both Odell IPAs, Renegade Redacted and Oskar Blues Deviant Dale's are two of my most frequently consumed beers. The fact that they are offered in 16 oz cans certainly doesn't hurt!

5. joshclauss

joshclauss Oct 31, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

So tough...just had a bunch of amazing IPA's from other parts of the country, and it really reminded me of how behind the curve Colorado is at IPA's. We have a lot of really solid traditional versions of the style, but very little that will give you the same unique experience of those being made by Lawson's, FFF, Alpine, Kern, Drake's, and HF, amongst others.

I would agree on TRVE Tunnel of Trees. Also, Hop Savant is an exception to the broader comment above.

6. denver10

denver10 Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Odell IPA and Myrcenary are at the top of the hierarchy for me. Denver Beer Company's Incredible Pedal IPA is right up there with them too.

Sitting right below would be Equinox's Galaxy IPA and Space Ghost, Elevations IIPA 7437 , Avery's Ale to the Chief, Renegade's Redacted IPA, TRVE's Tunnel of Trees. Dry Docks IIPA was long a mention for me, but last bottle I bought was a huge downer on me and kinda turned me away from it a bit.

And if Crooked Stave's Hop Savant counts than throw that one in the upper class. Love that beer.

7. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Jun 9, 2006 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Odell IPA, Dry Dock Double IPA (if you can get a freshie), and Mountain Sun Hop Vivant are the only respectable IPA's in CO.

eawolff99 likes this.
  8. FarmerTed

FarmerTed May 31, 2011 Colorado

Yak and Yeti's ipa is pretty good.

StubFaceJoe likes this.
  9. ChipMurray

ChipMurray May 21, 2013 Pennsylvania

My favourite is Great Divide Titan, to me it's how the perfect East Coast IPA should taste. I'm not sure why, but that's what I get from it. Love it. ^^/

Bissel328 and Reema like this.
  10. ablackshear

ablackshear Sep 17, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Odell is my go-to, Myrcenary go-to DIPA, but Modus, Dale's (straddling the line between APA and IPA), Redacted, Dry Dock DIPA, Dugana, Maharaja, Upslope Imperial, and Vine St FYIPA are all very good.

I drink Titan once in a while, but it's on the sweeter/maltier side and I prefer drier. I felt the same way about the last couple batches of Maharaja, but kind of expected with big DIPAs.

I like Rumble a lot, but that's a beer I drink when I'm not really looking for an IPA, even though it technically is one.

Backcountry Pale is also very good, and since it used to be called an IPA I include it here

Not a big fan of Ranger, but Rampant is pretty good. And the NB Fresh Hop IPA was great, hopefully they do that one again

If a CO brewery made a west coast style dry hop bomb they'd get a lot of my money

Jumbolaya likes this.
  11. Jumbolaya

Jumbolaya Jul 27, 2013 Colorado

+1 For all the great beer offerings here in Colorado, this is the one obvious thing missing. Nearly all of the local IPAs are sweeter than I prefer, and it's a shame to have to turn to the California imports when I want something drier and more hop-forward.

SD_Transplant likes this.
  12. jrnyc

jrnyc Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

I just fo back from Denver and had an assortment of beers, best I had was Modus Hoperandi. Worst I had was Avery IPA which was just awful.

EazyBeeze likes this.
  13. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Jun 9, 2006 Colorado
    Beer Trader

That one was great and so was the NB/Alpine Super IPA. Super IPA might have been the best IPA ever brewed and bottled in this state.

14. denver10

denver10 Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

It's too bad NB couldn't have bought that recipe from Alpine and made that their IIPA offering instead of Rampant.

15. FarmerTed

FarmerTed May 31, 2011 Colorado

I know people who love Avery IPA, but I'm not a fan, either. I wouldn't call it the worst ever, but it's just more bitter than I'd prefer, and totally burns my palate. I'm not a huge fan of Avery, anyway, but I would take modus any day over avery ipa.

16. chicano4craft

chicano4craft Apr 18, 2009 Colorado

Odell IPA is so much better then anything else from CO. Modus is solid. As a whole CO needs to step up our game when it comes to IPA's.

raynmoon and tylerstravis like this.
  17. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Dec 19, 2010 Colorado

Odell IPA, Myrcenary, St. Lupulin
    Dry Dock DIPA
    Equinox Space Ghost
    Bootstrap Insane Rush
    J. Wells Hop Haze
    Ska Modus Hoperandi
    TRVE Tunnel Of Trees
    GD Titan
    Backcountry Pale Ale
    Trinity Slap Yo Mammy
    Renegade Elevated, Redacted
    OB Deviant Dales
    Elevation 7437
    Avery Maharaja
    Bull & Bush Man Beer
    Lone Tree DIPA

18. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard May 19, 2005 Colorado

Well, I'd go with dIPAs: Hop Savant (and Vivant), Fix Your Heel, Stand Up, Myrcenary and Dry Dock

19. alexipa

alexipa Oct 7, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I came to say Modus. I'd go as far as to say it's my favorite non-imperial IPA even outside of Colorado.

I love everything Avery creates but I also agree that their IPA is lacking.

tacosandbeer likes this.
  20. MarkyMOD

MarkyMOD Apr 5, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Strange Batch 1000, Ska Decadent and Modus, GUBNA, Rumble, Maharaja, Myrcenary, Slap yer Mammy, Twin Sisters, Wynkoop IPA, GD Fresh Hop

Ones that might not be/aren't coming back: NB Super IPA, Odell Pond Hopper, GD 18th

Forgot how many great pale ales CO makes, I'm sure there's even more at brewpubs around here, just not my first choice in style a lot of times.

21. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Dec 19, 2010 Colorado

The Avery XX was solid as well!!

22. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

2 excellent posts that I agree with completely.

eawolff99 likes this.
  23. backslide311

backslide311 Jul 11, 2010 Colorado

Wow, no one mentioned Upslope, the IIPA and IPA are both fantastic. I also really enjoy Bristol's Compass IPA on Nitro.

Skagnetti likes this.
  24. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

It's DuganA season. Take advantage, brother. Take advantage.

25. Kenzie

Kenzie Feb 23, 2013 Utah

I love Avery's Simcoe and Chinook IPA they have at their tap room. It's perfect for some of the hot summer days we've been having. Equinox's is also highly delicious. Great Divides oak aged IPA (Rumble-a seasonal) also blew me away.

26. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I really hate to agree, but I have to say that colorado is grossly behind the times when it comes to hoppy beers. FFF, kern river, and HF simply destroy us, but even deschutes and elysian are kicking our ass. I do enjoy dry dock breakwater, but it isn't a pale ale. The only two stand outs that I can think of would be the obvious hop savant and the lesser know but better tasting red swingline from trinity. If they could bring their price point down on that beer I would mainline that beer.

27. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

I actually prefer the "old school" IPA's to a lot of the latest and greatest types. To me some are terrific, but they're 1-&-done. Some of them I don't like at all, too. There are some good and bad IPAs out there, but I don't think we're that far behind. I'd don't mind that our breweries are inspired by 90 Minute, Hop Devil, and Stone IPA.
    Having been on BA a while, something tells me that what's cool and innovative today will be tomorrow's shelf turd.

Commanche, SalukiAlum and NVbeer like this.
  28. joshclauss

Beer Trader

Ablackshear did mention Upslope IIPA before, and I agree, this beer is also much more modern and excellent.

LoganStegman likes this.
  29. joshclauss

Beer Trader

A lot of people probably agree with you, and I love an Avery IPA or Modus Hoperandi. But it seems to me, especially when hearing interviews and talking to brewers, like this is far less of a fad and much more what they feel is the forefront of technology in IPA's - that is, an IPA with less hop bitterness and a focus on hop aroma and flavor, one that doesn't try to match the level of bitterness with crystal malt as a way to try to find balance, instead showcasing the hop character with a much dryer, bready malt. This is why it's odd to me that we're not seeing them made like this here, especially by any of the myriad new Colorado breweries that have opened recently.

30. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

While I thinks some of the new IPAs are terrific and do showcase what's great about hops - many showcase what can be horrible about hops. Everything from onions, to shake weed, to swamps and ammonia.
    I agree that there's not a ton of IPA innovation going on in CO, we don't have many I'd consider to be completely horrible either. To me the only major dog we have is the Gubna, and a few people with a broken palate (I kid, I kid) actually like that one.

31. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Lots of good ones listed, I'll add Mojo Risin'.

32. ablackshear

Beer Trader

That's a good point, CO breweries are not making that many world class IPAs, but most all of them are solid beers. Have not tried the new Gubna yet, but I don't seem to be as sensitive to the oniony flavors from Summit hops as some other people

Though I did have an IPA from one of the very new breweries in town on Friday night that was an under-attenuated mess, tasted like barely fermented wort with a bunch of hop floaties. I had a hard time believing they were actually selling that beer.

Domingo likes this.
  33. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

Yeah, I definitely need to qualify my statements with "of our major breweries." Some of those recent upstarts are most certainly producing lesser products and it's not because of experimentation either. For every 2-3 producing (mostly) good beers, there will be one selling stuff I wouldn't even give out as a joke.

34. schlegelmeister

schlegelmeister Oct 19, 2011 Massachusetts

I've very much enjoyed the hop forward offerings from Fate and Black Bottle.

35. Prospero

Prospero Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I'd take a Kern River or Alpine anyday. FFF I'm losing interest in, all they care about is offensive bitterness, aside from Zombie & maybe Dreadnaught which are about the only slightly balanced ones.

One of the other major differences is hops used. Not many Colorado IPAs (that make it to shelves) use Citra, Amarillo or Mosaic, aside from a few. Rampant, Escape to Colorado, Hopulent could have been better, Swingline uses Mosaic and is fantastic. I'd also add the use of Maris Otter (or more lightly toasted caramel malts) in IPAs now which point to Josh's point about using a grainier/breadier malt over a dark caramel malt. There's also the addition of rice like DRIPA which is a fantastic IPA (light hybrid). So many others are advancing the style moreso than Colorado.

But Colorado still has a large plethora of flagship IPAs that have withstood the test of time, they're just all using the classic Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Simcoe...

hoppytobehere likes this.
  36. Fitshaced

Fitshaced Feb 29, 2012 Colorado

This post Lost me. Deschutes and Elysian kicking our ass, Really? Neither have a IPA or DIPA that can even touch Odell IPA, Myrcenary or Avery Dugana, Maharaja..

I agree with most what Aaron said as i think we share a similar palate even though i enjoy Ranger.

hopfacebrew and SalukiAlum like this.
  37. quaybr

quaybr Aug 30, 2010 Colorado

Odell IPA and Myrcenary, top 2. Modus Hoperandi, third.

38. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Yeah, they're kicking our ass. Colorado ipa's are almost prehistoric in their use of hops, and when they do use new types, these are buried behind shit liike summit and centennial. Elysian space dust blew me away, and its a pretty good example of the way ipa's are being brewed and hopped right now. That's cool if you like the big piney bitter west coast ipa's. I find them antiquated compared to other ipa's myself.

tylerstravis likes this.
  39. ablackshear

Beer Trader

I thought Space Dust was really good, but the previous time I tried an Elysian IPA it was a drainpour. Could have been old, but there was no date on the bottle. Seems like we don't get that much of their stuff here though, and it sits around

40. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

I like a few of Elysian's beers, but I've never been a big fan of their IPA's. That said, like ablackshear mentions, their stuff tends to sit around.
    On an unrelated note, their brewer was kind of a dick at the DRBT last year, so I'm not exactly waiting in line to buy his stuff anyway.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe