Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Favorite Colorado IPAs?

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by hoppytobehere, Aug 31, 2013.

1. hoppytobehere

Beer Trader

See, this is exactly why I created this thread. Picked this up tonight, only because I remember it being mentioned in this thread (I'm not a big fan of Avery's IPA and Maharaja). This shit is awesome. Hoppy as hell, dry, west coast style.

Thanks, everyone for your replies.

2. Fitshaced

Im a broken record when it comes to summit hops. Its a weed that needs to be eradicated. Don't like drinking onions. Don't know what hops Odell uses but there ipa is very unique imo. I will say my favorite 2.hops by far are Amarillo and citra

3. ArrogantB

Beer Trader

Found some fresh Racer 5 at Argonaut tonight that was bottled 8/20/13.

WOOOOOO!

joshclauss likes this.
  4. ablackshear

Beer Trader

Huh, I looked at the bombers when I was there today and they were from 7/5, guess I should have checked the sixpacks. But they also have Firestone Walker Union Jack bottled 8/21, can't go wrong with that one (other than the $11/sixpack price)

joshclauss likes this.
  5. ablackshear

Beer Trader

If you like Amarillo try to get your hands on Fremont Summer Ale, single malt single hop pale with only 2-row malt and Amarillo hops. And for Citra, Pseudo Sue from Toppling Goliath, it's an even better Zombie Dust

adkieffer and SalukiAlum like this.
  6. Fitshaced

Aaron are these local beers you named?

7. ablackshear

Beer Trader

Not local, Fremont is from Seattle, TG from rural Iowa. If you've noticed the talk about Kentucky Brunch lately, that's Toppling Goliath. Got both of those in trades. Pseudo Sue is definitely worth seeking out, world class, the Fremont was memorable for really showcasing Amarillo, a hop I share your affinity for

8. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

And that's why I homebrew. I've got an american red I will be brewing this afternoon that is chinook citra and amarillo. Copious amounts of them.

joshclauss and Prospero like this.
  9. Prospero

Beer Trader

Bingo

SFACRKnight likes this.
  10. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

Night of the Living Red is coming in at 66.6 ibus with 6oz of aroma and flavor hops in the boil and three ounces for dryhopping. 6% abv, 6.6lbs of munich and 6.6lbs of 2row with .6lbs carared. Just in time for halloween!

11. ninmpeck

Beer Trader

"FFF I'm losing interest in, all they care about is offensive bitterness, aside from Zombie & maybe Dreadnaught which are about the only slightly balanced ones." Yea what!?? That's whack man. Offensive bitterness shouldn't be used in a sentence with fff. Just cracked a bottle of the Panzer Wolf over the weekend and blew everyone away. We were sipping on everything from Zdust to Pliny, Epic Imperial to Insane Rush and the Panzer was a 10. The Rye Da Tiger, Panzer and Cow are some of the most well balanced, non offensive brews on da planet. "Slightly balanced." Hilarious!

SalukiAlum likes this.
  12. Prospero

Beer Trader

Hilarious indeed. Do you even taste bro? After all those IPAs, even Arctic Panzer Wolf would taste balanced. Hop bitterness does that to a palette after 2-3 IPAs.

Arctic Panzer Wolf description straight from FFF:

13. Mebuzzard

That sounds like my red that's in the "fermentation vessel". Will dry hop with citra...and we threw in some pineapple puree for some reason

14. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

That seems to happen a lot. I had an extra ounce of citra and Chinook, so the brett saison took a double dryhop addition last weekend. Why? Because.
    Although I disagree with your grammar, I agree with FFF not having an aggressive bittering charge. They hop the shit out of their brews, but I wouldn't call them bitter either.

15. Prospero

Beer Trader

So you're saying they only "aroma hop the shit out of their brews"?

If you hop the shit out of a brew (aside from flameout or dry-hopping which are for aroma only), you're adding bitterness, and without equal amount of malts, it dominates the flavor.

16. hoppytobehere

Beer Trader

good lookin son

17. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

The later additions lend less bitterness and more flavor and aroma, not ONLY aroma. Pick up a copy of For the Love of Hops. It's a great read for homebrewers and hopophiles alike.

from http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.php

Moving hops to late in the boil not only reinforces the huge hop flavor and aroma, but some brewers suggest it also results in a much smoother, less harsh bitterness.

18. Mebuzzard

Does anybody else take a 1/2 pellet of hops and stick it between their cheek and gum, just like a pinch of chewing tobbacky? Or is that just me?

ucsbmullet and SFACRKnight like this.
  19. Prospero

Beer Trader

I'm very clear on how hops work and my rebuttal was because you were inferring they hopped it up but it didn't have the same bitterness. Look you can debate the harshness of the bitterness, but you're adding IBU's unless it's flameout or dry-hopping, it's the whole reason why I said this:
    Yes you get a fuller flavor of hops with late additions, but you have to add a much higher quantity of hops to get the IBU's to match the malt. Although I guarantee you FFF doesn't just do late additions, my guess is they continuous hop their IPAs. I'd love to sneak a peak at their recipes b/c the only point I'm trying to make is that they are on the higher end (if not off the chart) as to the IBU/OG ratio norm for IPAs/DIPAs.

Anyhow that's all I was trying to say, and I'm just not a fan of beers where the hops are so overwhelming that you can't detect the malts. I can take the high IBU beers so long as it's balanced. And FFF doesn't fit that list for me.

20. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

I can see how FFF hop bombs aren't for everyone, I was just getting at when you add hops to the kettle late you get the benefits of more flavor and aroma without adding as many IBU's. So with a late addition of 3 oz of citra you may only hit 20 IBU but have a huge hop presence. Compared to stone, i'll take FFF every time because I find the actual bitterness to be more assertive in a stone beer eventhough I don't think the stone brews are half as hoppy as what I've had from FFF. I was under the impression that you were simply stating hops = bitter no matter what, and I'm glad I was wrong. There's enough BA's who don't have a clue about how beer works... :)

21. Prospero

Beer Trader

I completely understand what you're saying, and the science behind it, but all that aside, FFF IPAs almost all 100+ IBUs so to solely do late additions would cost them 3x as much to equal the same IBUs as a traditional bittering hop addition would get (which is why continuous hopping is a happy medium between the two methods). So late additions or not, the IBUs are still there in FFF beers and well above the 'average' bitterness ratio if you will for IPAs/DIPAs (I think I calculated Arctic Panzer Wolf at 1.2 most imperial IPAs range from 0.9-1.1). The reason why the ratio is so important is because it's the malt that helps determine if that 100 IBUs is masked (balanced) or bitter (agressive), the bitterness is still there. But to your point, the flavor from late additions releases can have an affect on masking the higher IBU's as well.

I was saying hops add bitterness no matter what (unless at flameout or dry-hopping).... it's physics, same principle as tea. Tea leafs get more and more bitter the longer it steeps, that's why they suggest removing the tea bag after 3-5 minutes, because there's a sweet spot for adding the most flavor without too *much bitterness. The problem is with beer if you did nothing but late additions your IPAs would have to sell for $30 to make a profit. And you can't simply reduce the IBU's or it would be an IPA and it would turn into a malt bomb with good hop aroma.

Anyhoo, sorry for the hijack. I think I may have to go pick up some Mycenary

SFACRKnight likes this.
  22. denver10

Just got around to trying this one at Falling Rock last night and agree, really enjoyed it.

23. mrcraft

Beer Trader

I thought Myrcenary DIPA was fantastic. Their IPA was wonderful too.

24. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

Hoperation Ivy is pretty fan-freaking-tastic this year.

25. 2melow

I would say Odell IPA is one of the most solid IPA's out there right now for the price. Myrcenary is the go to heavy. Not a fan of Modus....something just pings me in the back of my jaw with that one. I know it is popular though. Agree on Avery being a downer. Only good beer really right now that is consistent from them seems to be The Reverend and Ellie's.

26. jeplus3

FYIPA. Period.

27. hoppytobehere

Beer Trader

^Really enjoyed that one. Too bad they don't bottle.

28. denver10

Got to add, every time I try Tunnel of Trees, I like it more and more. Was just at TRVE and left wishing I could have gone home with a growler of it (without having to sign up for their cvlt club).

Freshcraft still has a number of wet hop IPA's going and the Dry Dock High Wired wet hop IPA is really damn good.

Hit up Epic's taproom last night for my first time and got to try their Escape to Colorado IPA. I can see how those who aren't fans of Mosaic hops might not care for this one, but I quite enjoyed it. Brought home a bottle of the stuff, so see how it translates in that medium.

29. denver10

Oops; meant Falling Rock.

30. denver10

So opened my bottle of Escape to Colorado tonight and enjoyed it as my first beer of the night rather than 4th. Made a bit of a difference. I definitely like this one but it doesn't deserve to be mentioned in a thread for best Colorado IPA's.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  31. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

Is it me, or do TRVE's beers taste watery? The last two times I tried them it tasted like they were kicking water into the kegs. I noticed it at gabf and the trend has continued for me...

32. denver10

Never been an issue with me.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  33. poonamibaxter

Beer Trader

I grabbed a bottle tonight because of the great price, it was aptly priced. It tastes like a hoppier light beer.

34. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

Many of their beers are in the 4% ABV range, so they're definitely on the mild side. I've heard lots of people call English Milds (even Dry Dock's 2X GABF gold) "watery," so that might it.

35. biking4beer

Brilliant!

36. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

Maybe with hellion, but tunnel of trees?

37. mrcraft

Beer Trader

From an outsider's perspective, I enjoyed Odell IPA a lot. Ska Modus Hoperandi was solid. However, my favorite IPA/DIPA I've tried from Colorado is still Myrcenary DIPA.

SalukiAlum and hoppytobehere like this.
  38. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

I dunno. It's apparently all (or almost all) chinook, and comes across as a pine bomb to me. The texture isn't thick, so maybe that's it? I really like it, but not everyone seems to. At one time they had 6 beers on tap and of those, 4 were under 5%. Some people weren't feeling it, but I loved it.

denver10 likes this.
  39. denver10

I love their attention to such low abv beers as well. If Hellion was offered in six packs, It would be a staple in my fridge.

Hellion might be 4.2% abv, but with the inclusion of all those oats the mouthfeel has always been one of its highlight features in my eyes. Guess I might be alone on that one.

40. hoppytobehere

Beer Trader

That reminds me, I need to walk down the street and get a growler filled at TRVE.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe