Favorite Colorado Lagers!

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by ManBearPat, Jun 30, 2016.

1. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (450) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Bierstadt’s Maibock is absolutely incredible

2. clusterfolk

clusterfolk Initiate (147) Jun 20, 2014 Colorado

Yep, its pretty phenomenal. Also, Dry Dock's is pretty darn good as well. I really think there is a market inefficiency for tasty, rich bocks year-round.

3. ManBearPat

Dude I had a damn good dopplebock at NB the other day... definitely sounded like a one off, but I honestly had the same thought- we have everything beer-wise in this state BUT year round bocks!

clusterfolk and tylerstubs like this.
  4. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,881) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Member Beer Trader

I'm really digging Gunny Black Lager from Good River. Excellent + Schwarzbier!

bfields4, tylerstubs and rikarmstrong like this.
  5. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,196) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Anyone know if Grimm Brothers still distributes to Denver? I might be wrong, but I was thinking they were part of the Tivoli distro wing.

6. ManBearPat

I’ve been flying through this Colorado Lager... its so damn tasty, madudes.

The official summer ‘18 beer for ol’ manbear :grin::grin::grin::grin:

Domingo, SFACRKnight and tylerstubs like this.
  7. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,881) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Crooked Stave Von Pilsner is very yummy!!

Dan_K, wyoming, FarmerTed and 6 others like this.
  8. dauss

dauss Zealot (562) Aug 9, 2003 Colorado
    Industry Beer Trader

Comrade brewed Oktoberfest on June 21. It's going to be getting 12 weeks in the tank.

9. Ispeakforthetrees

Ispeakforthetrees Disciple (369) Apr 2, 2012 Colorado

Rockyard's Pils is great!

But Odell is still rocking the constant placement in my fridge. It is the goods!

10. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Aspirant (299) May 31, 2011 Colorado

Got a sixer of the kolsch today, and It's fucking money.

tylerstubs and SFACRKnight like this.
  11. wyoming

wyoming Devotee (474) Sep 4, 2007 Wyoming
    Premium Member

The von Pilsner has been the best find for lager to go ..still need to go to bierstatd and try slow pils

12. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Initiate (153) Oct 26, 2012 Colorado

Anyone know the shelf life on Odell’s Colorado Lager? Bought a sixer early this week and just noticed it’s dated 8/11/18 on the bottom of the can. I did not think this was released until the spring, so wondering how old this beer truly is. It was bought at a shop that turns its inventory quickly, so do not think it’s been gathering dust.
    Thanks

13. rscot231

rscot231 Initiate (188) Mar 11, 2008 Colorado
    Industry Beer Trader

Perhaps it’s a best by date?

14. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Initiate (153) Oct 26, 2012 Colorado

That was my thinking, which made me curious to shelf life to understand how old the beer is. Thanks

15. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,357) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

I think they used to do Best By dates with a 4 month window. Not sure if that still continues as its been a few years.

My experience with lagers is that they can still be tasty a few months in. I do think they are a style that I love super fresh, even more than IPA's to be honest, but when the freshness fades they can still remain a very good beer. I'd imagine that should be the case with an Odell product.

#495 denver10, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    Dtapeski likes this.
  16. ManBearPat

I’m sure with the canning line that Odell has those lagers would be good at about a year old honestly.. does anyone in the state can on their level? Serious question.

17. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,176) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Maybe Ska and OB.

ManBearPat likes this.
  18. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (451) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Bierstadt Slow Pour Pils confirmed awesome. Took some bros to Bierstadt on Friday night and everyone enjoyed it. It's so light on the palate but full of flavor. It really feels like something special.

ManBearPat, tylerstubs and Mebuzzard like this.
  19. Domingo

Beer Trader

I'm curious about how well Odell Lager will age, too. I guess "age" isn't the right term, but I wonder how long it'll hold up before turning to mush. It doesn't have the same characteristics that most of the fragile German examples do and it's in cans. I've had a few German dunkels and kellerbiers that were mostly still okay after 9-10 months.

It wouldn't shock me if that beer eventually saw non-CO distribution. I made it to their RINO tasting room last week and it was an easy tourist favorite. I think it's probably the best beer they've made in 10 years.

20. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poo-Bah (3,500) May 19, 2005 Colorado

Haven't had anything below awesome from them.

ManBearPat, Domingo and tylerstubs like this.
  21. Domingo

Beer Trader

Bierstadt is as close to drinking in Germany as you'll find in the US. They don't really go the "country lager" route and they don't do any top fermented items (alt, koelsch, weiss, etc.) but they nail everything they do. I would be interested in a legit kellerbier/landbier at some point, but otherwise I don't see how anyone could complain about what they do.

wyoming and ManBearPat like this.
  22. Knobs303

Knobs303 Aspirant (233) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I know they don’t do any top fermented beers, but a Summer Koelsch would be Amazing!! I bet they would make an Amazing version, just like their other offerings.

23. Domingo

Beer Trader

During Bill and Ashleigh's stint at Prost they brewed Koelsch, alt, and weiss. They were excellent renditions, too. I asked about top fermented beers and hybrids when they opened and Bill said they won't be brewing any at Bierstadt. However, that's where collaborations come into play. They did a Koelsch with Westbound and a weiss with Comrade. I think they made a dark weiss with OMF, too.

tylerstubs likes this.
  24. denver10

Finally checking out Odell's Colorado Lager. I'm a fan. It would be a staple of I was still up here in Colorado.

A little off topic...but at Odell's new Rhino location and I cant believe how Denver has exploded since I moved. This area was a dead zone back then. You had Larimer Lounge a few blocks down and that was it. Now it's just insane. Like a totally different world.

SFACRKnight and ManBearPat like this.
  25. denver10

Oh, and the Bierstadt Helles is the best helles I have yet to try.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  26. ManBearPat

While I agree its their best in ages, good luck finding anyone that can keep any of it for long enough to actually ‘age’ :rolling_eyes:

27. Knobs303

Beer Trader

You are correct. I think their Helles gets overlooked due to the popularity of SPP. Every time I stop by to pick up Slow Pour, I always get at least one Helles.

28. Knobs303

Beer Trader

One of the bartenders mentioned the collaboration Koelsch, but I couldn’t remember which brewery it was with. Any idea about availability? Wouldn’t mind trying it on one of these Stupidly Hot evenings we’ve been having.

29. wyoming

Premium Member

They got a cool billboard for the Odell lager on I 25 south bout rest area of Cheyenne .. just glanced yesterday but it says the lager is 30 minutes ahead !

ManBearPat and SFACRKnight like this.
  30. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,176) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

While you're out on a drive swing by for a cold one... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

wyoming likes this.
  31. wyoming

Premium Member

Reminds me of old wyo law back in day .. all passengers could drink but no driver !

SFACRKnight likes this.
  32. rscot231

rscot231 Initiate (188) Mar 11, 2008 Colorado
    Industry Beer Trader

Montana had that too for a while.

wyoming likes this.
  33. wyoming

Premium Member

The way it should be if u live in last frontier

34. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (451) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I just had River North's Pilsner (in bold red cans) and it was fantastic. Very light, slightly crisp, mellow maltiness, smooth hoppiness. I would say at this point it's one of the best pilsners I've ever had (but truth be told, not many). Was a great compliment to sushi. Crystal clear, just a beautiful beer.

tylerstubs, ManBearPat and Bitterbill like this.