Favorite "Reference" Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by HeyItsThatGuy, Aug 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeyItsThatGuy

HeyItsThatGuy Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2016 Illinois

So one thing I'm seeing more and more in this wonderful world of beer are beers that pay homage to various movies, TV shows, Bands, and all sorts of cool stuff of that sort! So what are your favorite beers that pay homage to the things that you love in life? And just how DO they pay homage? Is it in the name? The Label art? Etc. ? Here's some of my favorites:

Pipework's Fully Hoperational BattleStation - an Imperial Saison that pays homage to Star Wars with an excellently designed label featuring and Orange Death Star and X-Wings and Star Destroyers made of hop leaves.

Oddside Ales' Fight Milk and Troll Toll - The first being a milk stout and the latter being a Session IPA, both of these ales pay homage to two of my favorite episodes from one of my favorite shows in the world, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Stone's Farking Wheaton Woot Stout - an Imperial Stout that features another excellently designed label that also pays homage to Star Wars. And in a collaboration with Star Trek's Will Wheaton, you can expect nothing less.

Tripel_Threat likes this.
  2. teal

teal Initiate (92) May 3, 2012 Wisconsin

Not exactly the same but Old Rasputin.

When I was a sophomore in high school I took a Russian history class. Was mostly seniors looking for a semester of BS, no thought, easy A type of class. It was taught by an old hippy. He taught the class more like a conversation than a lecture. I learned a ton, enjoyed myself more than I should and never forgot him or the class.

Old Rasputin fires me right back to that. The picture of Rasputin on the label is nothing flashy, not "stylized" or given a modern spin. Just the dude and the look is perfect for what's about to hit your tongue. Dark, powerful and something that's going to make you pay attention to it.

For me when I drink Old Rasputin - I'm completely focused on that beer and then immediately taken right back to that class in that hot room with 15 other people and Mr. B sitting there on his desk telling us stories bout Russia and the cold war of the 60's.

LuskusDelph, FonyBones and dcotom like this.
  3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,323) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I bought and traded for Imperial Stout Trooper. I was quite delighted and surprised, to a certain extent, when I found that I dug it but. .NEBCO has a great reputation.

HeyItsThatGuy likes this.
  4. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,430) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

As a fly fisherman I'm partial to the rainbow trout motif on the Sweetwater brands. I would buy the beer anyway because I like it but the fish images are a nice touch.

5. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,565) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Coors Banquet. Every time I see it on the shelf, it brings back memories of my first couple of road trips out west. Coors wasn't available in the eastern part of the country then, and everybody wanted me to bring back beer for them. I wound up hauling a ton of the stuff back to Ohio. Good times...

JuicesFlowing, LuskusDelph and Squire like this.
  6. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (2,874) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

OddSide is good for that, I'll second Troll Toll. The label art of a robed Frank gets me laughing. I'd also add Car Ramrod and I Want My HTV from OddSide as well.

I had two from Short's Brewing this summer that I liked:

Anduril, a fine sour and LOTR reference
    Rosie Palmer, a shandy made with Earl Grey and rose hips. A name that's a mixture of the sublime and the silly. A reference to both Arnold Palmer (the golfer and ice tea/lemonade combo named for him) and Rosie Palm and her Five Sisters.

TonyLema1 likes this.
  7. timedwards3113

timedwards3113 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2014 Pennsylvania

Dogfish Head Miles Davis Bitches Brew and North Coast Brother Thelonious. Both remind me of jazz fest and the awesome jazz tunes on Temple University's WRTI radio station. There's just something about the combo of jazz and craft beer that clicks for me.

8. HeyItsThatGuy

HeyItsThatGuy Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2016 Illinois

Ahhh, can't believe I forgot Car RamRod! ....I can say meow....I can say moo ....

9. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,394) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Rothaus Tannenzapfle - Pilsner
    Ten Fidy - RIS
    LA Fin Du Monde - Tripel
    Weihenstephaner Hefeweisen - German Hefeweissen

10. zid

zid Meyvn (1,204) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Ha. I was thinking along the same lines... but then I read the first post.

Lurchus and keithmurray like this.
  11. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,394) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Ooops.....pays to read things in their entirety!

Lurchus, HeyItsThatGuy and zid like this.
  12. jkn09

jkn09 Aspirant (275) Oct 17, 2012 Texas

Another It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia reference:

It was a one-off that Stone is apparently reviving, but Dayman Coffee IPA was great. I personally think they should've made a companion Black IPA called Nightman.

13. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Poo-Bah (1,694) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

Off the top of my head, I don't have any fancy "reference" beers... just probably Sam Adams as a whole because it reminds me of my first sudden step into craft beer when I was in Boston when I was 21. I know, I know -- generic response.

14. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Disciple (317) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Not strictly a reference, but any time I see Jobu on the shelf, I have to quote Pedro Cerrano.

"Is very bad to steal Jobu's rum."

Tripel_Threat and beertunes like this.
  15. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,689) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Mahr's Mastodon

Lurchus likes this.
  16. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,972) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Prob no surprise to anyone who knows me I am partial to the labeling on Otter Creek referencing hippie culture.
    [​IMG]

17. mkoenig

mkoenig Initiate (0) May 30, 2010 California

Two more It's Always Sunny References, from Aslin Beer Company in Va. Champion of the Sun IPA and Master of Karate DIPA.

satisfied1013 likes this.
  18. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Meyvn (1,282) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Anything baseball related is cool to me. Alesmith has a beer called .394 that references Tony Gwynn's average in the 1994 strike season.

satisfied1013, McMatt7 and Zoomslowik like this.
  19. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Meyvn (1,051) Feb 14, 2014 Colorado

20. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Disciple (317) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Another one: Transient makes a pale ale called Cromulent and at GTOTMW they had one called Cromulent-Embiggened Pale Ale. The Simpsons references will always score points with me. I saw one called Purple Monkey Dishwasher by Evil Genius.

Tripel_Threat likes this.
  21. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Meyvn (1,282) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Prohibition Pig has a beer called You're Killing Me Smalls.
    18th street near Chicago (Gary, Indiana) has one that just came out called Grapefruit Dead.
    Hoof Hearted Konkey Dong - video game references are cool too.

tylerstravis likes this.
  22. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,430) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Yes, that does surprise me. I pictured you as a closet hippie with an MBA.

utopiajane likes this.
  23. LuskusDelph

LuskusDelph Aspirant (255) May 1, 2008 New Jersey

Nothing aat all wrong with choosing Sam Adams. Th Boston Lager was (and remains) a very flavorful, well made brew. I'll take it over anything made locally where I live (except perhaps for the stuff made in my own basement.:grinning:)

24. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,556) Jun 11, 2013 New York

That really is dave on that label. Notice how the passenger changes but he never does. :stuck_out_tongue:

VABA likes this.
  25. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,972) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Closet hippie? Haha more like dyed in the wool, full on 'til I die, hippie.:slight_smile:

26. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (2,233) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

Weston Brewing's Drop Kick Ale. It pays homage to my favorite sport and Weston Brewing even donate $2 per case to the Kansas City Soccer Foundation.

27. SteelSaw

SteelSaw Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2013 Indiana

Three Floyd's Moloko Stout referencing "A Clockwork Orange".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.