Favorite Reinheitsgebot beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by geodonnokepyo, Mar 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geodonnokepyo

geodonnokepyo Disciple (388) Oct 31, 2013 Pennsylvania

Just picked up a couple of favorites from the bottle shop today; Ayinger's Brau weisse and Schneider's Aventinus Weizenbock.

This got me to thinking what everyone else's favorite beers are that are brewed in the Bavarian Purity Law tradition.

Aventinus takes the cake for me

So what are your favorites?

stevoj, sajaffe1 and WCKDVBZ like this.
  2. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,430) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Locally we get a good range, Spaten, Weihenstephan, Ayinger, Urquell and others. What I choose depends on the bottling code.

utopiajane and DLang713 like this.
  3. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,389) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

Paulaner Oktoberfest Weisn

dirtyfab and Caveworm like this.
  4. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (6,957) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Aventinus 6
    [​IMG]

Samldc, rgordon, SFACRKnight and 6 others like this.
  5. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Meyvn (1,034) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

6. ArsMoriendiOU818

ArsMoriendiOU818 Zealot (548) Nov 5, 2013 California

The new Weihenstephaner 1516 really gets me going.

dirtyfab and Tucquan like this.
  7. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,567) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

8. akolb

akolb Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2015 Colorado
    Deactivated

I loved Paulaner's Oktoberfest. Has a certain bready goodness that American Oktoberfests can't quite seem to match.
    Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock and Kulmbacher Eisbock are also great.

mngermanshepherd, SkipZ and Caveworm like this.
  9. captaincoffee

captaincoffee Poo-Bah (1,791) Jul 10, 2011 Virginia
    Society

Can't say I give a crap about reinheitsgebot per se, but I do love me some Ayinger, Andechs, Weihenstephaner, Schneider Weisse, etc. I don't know how to pick a favorite since an eisbock and a helles are so drastically different.

rgordon likes this.
  10. elucas730

elucas730 Initiate (146) Feb 5, 2010 New York

Am I missing something here? The main purpose of the original Bavarian Reinheitsgebot was to exclude wheat from the production of beer, either for competitive reasons (German breweries outside of Bavaria were much more likely to use wheat in their beers) or to ensure that enough wheat was available so that bread remained available and affordable. As such, the two wheat beers you have chosen violate the Reinheitsgebot.

SinH4, TonyLema1 and hopfenunmaltz like this.
  11. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,715) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

I agree with your observation, and also thought the choice of Weizenbock was rather ironic. However, the Reinheitsgebot was "amended" to include wheat in brewing some years later -- just as it was amended to include yeast... once it was discovered that was actually a pretty integral part of making beer what it is. :slight_smile:

That said, my favorite beer following the Reinheitsgebot? Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, of course. What? Water, barley malt, hops and yeast -- right? There you go. :wink:

12. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,807) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Naturally carbonated too, which is important. It's not just about the ingredients.

13. tillmac62

tillmac62 Poo-Bah (1,794) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Society Trader

PU, love a fresh one with the Saaz hops.

ChrisMyhre likes this.
  14. ZDSmith87

ZDSmith87 Initiate (177) Jul 18, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Boston Lager

TonyLema1 likes this.
  15. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,660) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Troegs Sunshine Pils will be released in April which is just a few days away.

WOO-HOO!!

Cheers to water, malt, hops and yeast!!

16. dennis3951

dennis3951 Meyvn (1,011) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

That's what I was going to post. Come to think about it I could post Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and many other US brewed craft beers.

17. steveh

Society

Be careful with the Stout, it may have un-malted Barley in the grain bill and call down the RHGB wrath! :grinning:
    *That, right there, is suspect. :wink:

18. Hallu

Hallu Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2016 France

Yeah most American IPAs follow the Reinheitsgebot after all. I like German beers but they're not my favorite. They're good "drinking with mates" beers. Beyond that, I have something more challenging : a gueuze, a complex IPA, a balanced English porter, a bonkers stout etc...

19. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Devotee (459) Mar 26, 2011 California

Bitburger.

VABA, TonyLema1 and utopiajane like this.
  20. dennis3951

dennis3951 Meyvn (1,011) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I stand corrected, I guess you can't go by just whats on the label.:grimacing:

21. lateralusbeer

lateralusbeer Zealot (509) Feb 7, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

A great German style beer has incredible depth and complexity. Problem is most Americans are used to out of date, stale imports.

22. steveh

Society

The large print giveth, the small print taketh away. :grinning:

23. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,690) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Andechs apparently still follows some older versions of the Reinheitsgebot (not like that really matters much beyond pride), so they seem like an appropriate choice. Love the hell, doppelbock, heller bock, and dunkel.

24. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Well actually it may matter some beyond pride. Turns out that while many of the teeth have been removed from the RHG, if you publicly claim to be following some version of it and are not you can get into serious legal difficulties (e.g., false advertising). And the appearances are that many German beer drinkers won't buy a beer unless it is supposedly brewed under the RHG.

25. Domingo

Society

I don't mean the RHG itself, just that they pride themselves in internally following an older version. I forget what tweaks they didn't adopt but there was a brewer in the German forum who got into details about it. I think a few other places (maybe Forschungs?) that also do that.
    Agree about the drinkers, 100%. It's a big deal to a lot of folks in southern Bavaria. They're hardcore enough to shun beers from other regions in Germany, let alone something called a beer that was impure. :stuck_out_tongue:

drtth likes this.
  26. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Got it. Have any thoughts about whether that is related to the age of the equipment, etc. or is a "philosophical" commitment?

27. Domingo

Society

From memory it was a philosophical thing and not something they necessarily publicised. I think one of the older brewers had trained using certain techniques and had insisted that they stick to it. I'll have to dig around in the German forum and see if I can find it. Someone who had intered there posted about it.

drtth likes this.
  28. steveh

Society

Most Stouts and Porters will have a certain amount of roasted, unmalted barley in their grain bill for that roasted, coffee-like character. Though Founders' web site isn't very concise on the recipe, I'd bet they break the RHG just as Brooklyn does -- at least with the Stout.

FarmerTed and WCKDVBZ like this.
  29. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,827) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

From their website they have a picture of the ten grains around a bottle. Flaked grain would not be RHG, and neither would roasted barley as it is not malted, but there are a lot of loopholes for top fermented beers.
    Where have you seen that it is RHG compliant? It may be as a top fermented beer.

http://foundersbrewing.com/our-beer/imperial-stout/

WCKDVBZ likes this.
  30. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (238) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

Regarding the freshness of these German beers. Could I ask the folks at the bottle shop when their last shipment of a certain beer was for gauging freshness?

31. lateralusbeer

lateralusbeer Zealot (509) Feb 7, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Problem is the shop has no idea how long it sat in a distributor's warehouse.

laketang likes this.
  32. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (238) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

Well damn. This is why EVERYONE needs to put bottled/canned dates on :slight_frown:

DLang713 and lateralusbeer like this.
  33. Dravin

Dravin Initiate (191) Apr 27, 2014 Indiana

Thanks for bringing up an American beer. I get why German beers often come to mind first when the Reinheitsgebot comes up, but plenty of American brews meet the requirements of the law as I understand it.

34. marquis

marquis Champion (803) Nov 20, 2005 England

There are many brewers which adhere to the principle but allow what they consider slight deviations. Such as artificial carbonation , yeast nutrients.
    An RHG Porter is possible , no Porters contained any grains except brown malt up to the early 1800s and no unmalted grains until 1880. Top fermented of course so the RHG is academic.

Dravin likes this.
  35. 77apm

77apm Devotee (487) Nov 10, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Recent brewery only release from New Glarus. Dan Carey is a true artist of beer.

smbslt, drtth, JackHorzempa and 3 others like this.
  36. Domingo

Society

^ DO WANT.

zid likes this.
  37. nick0417

nick0417 Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 Illinois

Please tell me this sucks? If it's good, I don't think I can take it:slight_smile: So geeked to see NG do a zwickel...

38. nick0417

Ayinger's Marzen. Hands down. One of the handful of beers I look forward to every year.

surfcaster and Some-Prefer-Hops like this.
  39. 77apm

77apm Devotee (487) Nov 10, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Thumbprint pricing was an initial shock since Yokel, very similar style a couple years ago, was a seasonal price and full distro. But I do have to say cost be damned on this one, I love it!

nick0417 likes this.
  40. nick0417

Any comparison to Yokel is fine by me. Only at the Depot, right? Really hoping to score some of this before it's gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.