Favorite Sour Beers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TickleMeTony, Oct 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hellhammermario

hellhammermario Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2012 North Carolina

Weyerbacher's Riserva is a nice surprise that I feel doesn't get the love it deserves. Everything else that comes to mind has already been mentioned.

Dizbro21 likes this.
  2. regularjohn

regularjohn Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 New Jersey

cantillon cuvee, after zwanze day thats the one beer that i want to have more of...over and over again

3. Christopper

Christopper Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2012 New York

Dude, this is full on boss! So, when you're in Buffalo next, I would love to try some Cantillons as well. I will supply everything else. JK! But that for real is really cool of you.

4. PapiFuego

PapiFuego Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2013 New York

Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek
    Tilquin Oude Gueuze
    Tart of Darkness
    Supplication

5. ChangSing

ChangSing Initiate (164) May 5, 2013 Illinois

I was out in San Francisco earlier this month and enjoyed Temptation, Consecration and Framboise for a Cure. I picked up some to take home. My friend and I also went to Mikkellar and spent a few hours in their sour lounge..we had a couple bottles of a 2001 Drie Fontemien Geuze...absolutely incredible!! If anyone is ever in SF I totally suggest heading there (although it's pretty packed by about 5PM).

Last week I picked up the Goose Island sours, so I'm looking forward to trying them over the next couple years. There's tons of Lolita around Chicago, but for whatever reason stores only got one case of the others.

6. DieHippieDie

DieHippieDie Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2012 North Carolina

Duchesse de Bourgogne is my favorite.

azorie likes this.
  7. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,936) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Society

A couple standouts for me are Avery's Oud Floris and New Belgium's Le Terroir.

8. dbol

dbol Initiate (83) Aug 19, 2007 California

not for the price.

facesnorth likes this.
  9. azorie

azorie Champion (892) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

10. santa216

santa216 Initiate (159) Mar 23, 2011 Indiana
    Trader

Haven't seen it mentioned yet but Abbaye De Saint Bon-Chien is one of the best beers I've ever had. A phenomenal tart cherry character to it and the wine-barrel aging does wonders to this beer.

Christopper likes this.
  11. Tony19

Tony19 Initiate (65) Sep 6, 2012 Ohio

Goose Island Juliet and Lolita. Both Belgian Wild Ales. Very limited release. Both are aged in wine barrels with wild yeast. Juliet is infused with Blackberries(8% abv), the Lolita, Raspberries(8.7% abv). Comes in a 765 ml bottle. Not cheap but both delicious! Juliet has a 94 BA rating and Lolita a 91. Enjoy if you can find them.

12. GRG1313

GRG1313 Poo-Bah (3,808) Jan 15, 2009 California
    Society Trader

I confess that I've never been to Buffalo. However, give me a great reason for coming and I'm there!!

13. Christopper

Christopper Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2012 New York

I would say the Bills and Sabres but I'd be lying. How about the 4am bar closings. And the Blue Monk. Plus we're only an hour and a half from Bar Volo.

14. GimmeGumballHead

GimmeGumballHead Aspirant (211) Dec 4, 2010 Illinois

Tilquin, Cuvee Rennee, Petrus Aged Pale, Juliet, 1809, Le Bleu, Love Child, Sour in The Rye, Temptation... etc.

15. Danny1217

Danny1217 Champion (826) Jul 15, 2011 Florida
    Trader

All the great traditional lambics are the best for me. Cantillon, 3F, Girardin, Boon, Hanssens, Tilquin.
    Lots of great Berliners popping up all over too. I really like Funky Buddha's passionfruit bw.
    I like Cascade Apricot and The Bruery Sour in the Rye and Tart of Darkness.
    Rodenbach Grand Cru and Duchesse de Bourgogne are good too.
    Wish I could afford to drink sours more...

16. serotoninronin

serotoninronin Initiate (107) Sep 10, 2012 Georgia
    Trader

Westbrook's Gose

17. GimmeGumballHead

I still haven't had this, but will in the near future... How's it compare to upright or cascades recent take on the style?

18. Kjanisch7

Kjanisch7 Initiate (147) Jun 26, 2013 New Jersey

Pretty much any Russian River, Bruery, or Cascade sours will blow your mind.

Jonada likes this.
  19. serotoninronin

serotoninronin Initiate (107) Sep 10, 2012 Georgia
    Trader

Haven't tried the Upright yet, nor have I gotten a shot at any of the proper Cascade goses, though I've had some of their other sours, to which the Westrbook compares really favorably I think. I haven't had a gose that I like more (my previous favorite was Against the Grain's 'Boom Gose the Dynamite'), but I'd love to try the two you mention. I just stocked up on the Westbrook cans if you're looking for some.

20. GimmeGumballHead

I have a buddy driving up from SC in a few weeks who should be bringing me some... but thank you!

21. baconman91

baconman91 Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2009 Ohio

I don't do the sours..tried it out, gave a valiant effort. Not my thing, frankly don't get it w/ the whole craze.
    Sorry :slight_frown:
    Go ahead..sum1 yell at me for posting (lol)

22. mquartuccio87

mquartuccio87 Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2013 New York

Temptation is good consecration even better

23. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,683) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Le Terroir and Eric's Ale do it for me. Love the NB "Felix" based beers.

24. MighHighBrewer

MighHighBrewer Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2013 Colorado

If I were you, I'd donate a kidney to try Crooked Stave's Raspberry Bourbon-Barrel Aged Origins and Cherry Dark Origins.

25. bpasquini

bpasquini Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2013 California

It's only $2 more than barrel aged RR sours...

26. dbol

dbol Initiate (83) Aug 19, 2007 California

not in philly/anywhere else i've seen it outside california. $25+

27. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,091) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Yup, this is my go-to as well. New Glarus kills it every time they make a fruity beer.

28. matedog

matedog Initiate (66) Jan 25, 2010 California
    Trader

Two of the sourest beers I've had were an 05 Lou Pepe Framboise in 2012 and Beatification (batch 5). Both amazing.

29. bpasquini

bpasquini Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2013 California

I will agree that is steep, and that it is still a rather expensive beer for anywhere, but I would still buy it when I have the opportunity to get my hands on it, will I buy 6+ bottles at a time, no because I like getting a bit of variety when I go to the shops, but 1-2 every time I find it, no doubt

30. williamjbauer

williamjbauer Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2012 Colorado

Fou Foune, Iris, and CdC. Oh yeah, Supplication, Consecration, um pretty much all the RR sours.

31. daveydapoolman

daveydapoolman Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2013 California

Already partnered up for RS, i act quickly lol. Going to message you, would love to trade, buy some awesome beers in your area :slight_smile:

32. paulys55

paulys55 Zealot (502) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

Not sure where you are at in CO but there's a small brewery in Del Norte called Three Barrel that does some nice sours. My aunt lives in South Fork so I check them out every other year when I visit.

33. jb123

jb123 Aspirant (251) Dec 3, 2012 Michigan

dont feel like reading all these but if u can get or order anything cascade those are amazing esp the blueberry kriek and apricot!

TickleMeTony likes this.
  34. TickleMeTony

TickleMeTony Initiate (198) Sep 18, 2013 Colorado

I have a few original Origins in my fridge currently, they are so good! Saving them for as long as I can, never had a chance to get the raspberry and cherry ones. We also just got L'brett D'or in today at my liquor store and I'm grabbing 3 of them!

MighHighBrewer likes this.
  35. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Aspirant (224) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

Rodenbach Grand Cru
    Duchesse de Bourgogne
    Bell's Oarsman
    Leipziger Gose
    August Schell's Star of the North

36. MighHighBrewer

MighHighBrewer Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2013 Colorado

I'm actually not a huge fan of the base L'Brett and Origins. They taste very one-note to me and arent worth the price. On the other hand, the fruit variations on those beers - especially the Origins variants - are mind-blowing.

TickleMeTony likes this.
  37. MarcWP

MarcWP Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2012 Arizona

Gueuze- Drie Fonteinen Oude Gueuze, Golden Blend, Cantillon Gueuze, Lou Pepe, Mariage Parfait

Fruited Lambics- Fou, Lou Pepe Kriek + Framboise, Vigneronne

Flemish- Rodenbach Grand Cru + Vintage, Haandbak, Dissident

American Wild- ANY Russian River, Framboise Amarosa, DDG, Farmers Reserve 3, Sang Noir

Many more, many more.....

38. TickleMeTony

TickleMeTony Initiate (198) Sep 18, 2013 Colorado

I recently had Hanssen's Oud Geueze and it was amazingly sour and funky.

39. mpayne5

mpayne5 Devotee (431) Aug 18, 2011 Indiana
    Trader

Upland Sour Reserve
    New Belgium Le Terroir
    Russian River Consecration

40. daveydapoolman

daveydapoolman Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2013 California

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.