Favorite Sours

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by oldmankoch, Apr 18, 2020.

1. oldmankoch

oldmankoch Disciple (345) Jan 1, 2014 Tennessee

Hello Beeradvocate Nation!

During this whole confinement process I've decided to look at it with Rose colored glasses...an opportunity to refine my palate and appreciation for styles I don't often visit during "free" life. One of those styles is Wild/Sour. That said, I've been fortunate to enjoy many sours since my deep end dive into craft beer in 2013 - Hill Farmstead, 3F, Cantillon, Russian River, Lost Abbey, De Garde, Wicked Weed, Side Project....that brings me to my long drawn out point. After seeing a post regarding Cascade I saw a 2014 Figaro in my local shop and decided to snag a bottle. WOW! Delicious....these guys have been a sleeper on me for years. So what are your favorite sours? This bottle has revived my desire to seek more out! Once this pandemic has passed and I start traveling for work again the entire country will be my travel playground. Please pass along your suggestions!

In the interim, Stay Safe!

2. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,685) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Just about all of the sours that are easily available to me have been just average. The best that I've had were from Cantillon and Russian River, and I don't experience them very often since I'm not a trader. The last one that I had that WOWed me was from RR, and I think it's a fairly new one called Instinction.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/863/232196/

3. oldmankoch

Whoa. Yeah that has to be new but the description has my mouth watering. A barrel aged Pilsner? That's crazy. How did you come upon it? Does RR ship to MI? I enjoyed them when I lived in Philly (Thanks Monks!) but hope to visit the brewery one day.

hottenot and GreenBayBA like this.
  4. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,685) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I wish RR did ship to Michigan. I have family living in the Bay area who I visit annually, so I pick up RR stuff at the bottle shops. I've been to the original brewery twice and have really enjoyed several of their other sours, but this one stood out last fall when I was stuck in a hotel room on the night before I flew back to Michigan. My wife wasn't in the right mood to drink a sour so I got to enjoy the entire bottle.

5. SierraNevallagash

SierraNevallagash Crusader (746) Sep 23, 2018 Maine
    Trader

Edit. Should have read the whole thread. I'm sorry about that. My bad. Just need to get stranded in a NorCal hotel. Piece of cake.

6. Mister_Faucher

Mister_Faucher Meyvn (1,493) Dec 3, 2014 Washington
    Society Trader

Culmination Brewing and Breakside out of Portland, Or. do some good stuff, but then the line between wilds and sours gets blurred and Belgians like Wittekerke somehow get in the mix, admittedly not my favorite style unless it's hot AF outside

hottenot and GreenBayBA like this.
  7. SierraNevallagash

Trader

For fruit: Jester King - Montmorency vs Balaton, Side Project - Biére du Pays, *Rosé du Pays**\ Grisette*, Perennial Funky Wit Raspberry**, Oxbow - Cherry Cletus*, Tired Hands -Unique Façade*/* and Sticky Drippy Crystals* (honey. You like Ana? Marry this one), Allagash - Coolships Red, Coolship Cerise, Coolahip La Mûre, Coolship Bardus (gooood luuuucckk), 3 Fonteinen - Oude Kriek, Armand & Gaston*

No fruit:
    Hill Farmstead Anna(*) or Arthur (*) (accessible, CHEAP, not too sour, perfection), Side Project Grisette (*) BdP (*) Fox Farm - Biére de Garde (*/*) Allagash - Evora*, Coolship Resurgam**, Coolship Proxima*, Coolship Clermont*, Funk Factory - anything. Side Project any and all. TRVU bottles? Killer! One heads up, some of Side Project can be lemon juice vinegar sour.

This highly depends on how much sour you like. Less sour? Jester King, Hill Farmstead, Allagash, Oxbow, Fox Farm, etc...

Side Project deserves half the list, but they're sour, so I won't recommend unless I know they enjoy that. It's a crazy beer style world. Bring Tums!

Every want Allagash? Shoot me a private message.

Gooldluck @oldmankoch
    This is the exciting part the beer world.

Good luck, abd keep it wiiillllld!
    Cheers!

8. idiotwind

idiotwind Initiate (39) Feb 14, 2014 California
    Trader

I love sours. Being in SoCal and near a damn good bottle shop, I'm able to get all of Russian River's sours. My favorite RR sour fresh is Consecration, and RR aged Temptation. The Intinction is great! Shop just got some in today.

That being said, one sour I'll splurge on every now and again is The Lost Abbey Red Poppy Ale. If you can find it, buy it.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18149/38530/

eppCOS, hottenot, CraigDeMoss and 4 others like this.
  9. GreenBayBA

GreenBayBA Meyvn (1,209) Aug 30, 2015 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

New Glarus. There is no need for me to buy any other sours. Ever.

10. oldmankoch

I can’t believe I’ve left them off my list. I’ve had several of their Fruit beers.....do they fall under the Wild/Sour category? Delicious nonetheless!

hottenot, PapaGoose03 and GreenBayBA like this.
  11. oldmankoch

How far South are you? I travel to LA and SD with work a few times each year but have never stopped in a bottle shop....been hitting up breweries. Are there a couple you could recommend if that’s your area?

12. oldmankoch

Thank You for the detailed list! There are new ones to be on the lookout for Jester....sad to say I’ve not had a single bottle from them. Fox Farm...been on my to visit list (IPA) now I can add for sour too. Funk Factory...excited to research them.

13. GreenBayBA

GreenBayBA Meyvn (1,209) Aug 30, 2015 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

They have a number of beers that are named as wild/sours, but I have thoroughly enjoyed everything from that brewery that is sweet or sour.

oldmankoch likes this.
  14. idiotwind

idiotwind Initiate (39) Feb 14, 2014 California
    Trader

Valley Beverage in Sherman Oaks. They got 7 Russian River brews in yesterday, including 2 sours. Check out their Instagram post

https://www.instagram.com/valleybev/

oldmankoch likes this.
  15. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,151) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Crooked Stave brews some great sours.

16. Kb024

Kb024 Initiate (143) Jun 11, 2015 California
    Trader

My favorites are the ones that are inexpensive and easily available year round, however the best ones I've tried Council beautification and Green Flash Cellar 3 have both shut down. These were higher abv barrel aged sours. Definitely unique. I've tried a lot of sours at the bar where I used to work but a lot of those were not really even memorable enough to remember the name. These days I find myself keep going back to the lighter, easy to find DFH Sea Quech, FunkWerks Raspberry Provincial, Modern Times Fruitlands. Victory Sour Monkey is ok too and it's like 9.5%. At the moment I'm having a Fruitlands. I'm going to need a lot more of these as the weather is warming up.
    [​IMG]

17. oldmankoch

Awesome. Thanks Man...I will do so!

18. oldmankoch

I’ve seen them in my local shop....Nightmare series correct?

eppCOS and Bitterbill like this.
  19. oldmankoch

I wish I could find Sea Quench around here....I’ve hit up Modern Times when out West and will keep my eyes peeled for FruitLands....can description has my mouth watering.

20. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Aspirant (294) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

Man I've definitely had a bunch that are amazing. But 3 that come to mind

Odd breed fresh off the farm with peaches is a more recent one that was great!

Previous batch Suarez summer whoa. Forget what fruit

Bluet de Friemer(sp?) from side project

oldmankoch likes this.
  21. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,151) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Yes but others as well

SFACRKnight and oldmankoch like this.
  22. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (458) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Tröegs brewed a lime gose aged in tequila barrels back in 2017? that was part of their scratch series. Not a fan of gose or tequila, but this beer was truly fantastic.

oldmankoch likes this.
  23. zid

zid Meyvn (1,164) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Harvey's Imperial Stout

oldmankoch likes this.
  24. zid

Trader

Really? :wink:

[​IMG]

25. iwantyourskull

iwantyourskull Initiate (56) Dec 27, 2015 Missouri

Apparently a lot of you do not know Wild does not mean sour. Try again and drink more beer.

26. SierraNevallagash

Trader

I was so zonked coming off of anaesthesia after an emergency medical procedure when I wrote this, I have zero recollection of it whatsoever. I wasn't drunk, I swear haha. What a trainwreck of a post!

eppCOS and oldmankoch like this.
  27. traction

traction Zealot (536) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

La Reine (2018) by Wild Mind Artisan Ales is the first one that comes to mind but I have had some really great sours over the year so I am finding it difficult to choose just one. I don't really want to compare a traditional Wile Ale to a smoothie style sour because while they are both awesome sour beers it is kind of apples and oranges. I am also a fan of some of the pastry sours that are popular now.

oldmankoch likes this.
  28. oldmankoch

I love Suarez....I've had several of their Lager/Pilsner and another perhaps it was a porter/stout.....never any sour/wilds from them. Would love to get hands on one though!

29. oldmankoch

I miss living in Philly sometimes....Troegs Nugget Nectar was always a beer I enjoyed drinking.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  30. oldmankoch

HaHaHa I was able to decipher and pull some good info outta your post....No Worries!

SierraNevallagash likes this.
  31. oldmankoch

Do you have any go-to or favorites from either style?

32. oldmankoch

Well maybe not that crazy overall.......I've had some first use barrel aged Pilsner from Hill Farmstead and Modern Times. I'm thinking I've not yet enjoyed a wine barrel aged Pilsner.

33. zid

Trader

I like Russian River, but I didn't care for Intiction the one time I had it (the beer that started this talk)... but I'm clearly in the minority on that one. I'm also not a fan of the brewer calling it a pilsner.

oldmankoch likes this.
  34. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,432) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

And sour doesn’t mean wild either. Does it really matter?

Bitterbill and PapaGoose03 like this.
  35. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,318) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

There's at least two levels of "sours".

One is stuff like fruitlands, and probably any beer labeled as a sour or sold in a can. These are kettle sours meaning that the mash/wort are soured with lactic acid before fermentation. They have a clean, simple, tartness and usually have fruit added these days.

The other is more accurately called wild or mixed fermentation. Wild ale should be spontaneously fermented by the local microflora, like lambics. Mixed fermentation just means there is a custom blend of microbes, not just brewing yeast. These beers can range from puckering sourness all the way to no sour flavors. This is the realm of the cantillons, drei fonteinens, de gardes, jester kings, etc... Of the world.

If you're looking for that crisp clean tart sour flavor you're probably best off with the kettle sours, labeled as gose or Berliner weisse sometimes.

oldmankoch and readyski like this.
  36. onezendad

onezendad Aspirant (200) Apr 16, 2018 Ontario (Canada)
    Society

Some of my fav sours that I havent seen mentioned.

Speciation
    Urban Artifact
    Hudson Valley
    Burlington Brewing Co

37. Dansac

Dansac Initiate (132) Dec 6, 2014 California

Homage Brewing: Everything these guys make makes me a junkie. They are the new standard in American sours imo, and probably my favorite brewery in the world at the moment. Since You Asked Kindly was a miracle.

Cellador Ales: Particularly their stonefruit stuff. Slide Down my Cellar Door 2019, Biblipohile, Le Con... Oh, and their cider hybrid Chapeaux is spectacular. They do a lot of bottle conditioning with honey, and their beers are generally quite tart and jammy. Beautiful stuff, and again sort of envelope pushing.

Sante Adairius Rustic Ales: their saisons are where it is at for me. I think their unfruited stuff is still pretty much top tier, and hard to beat. Bernice is one of my favorite beers of all time. But they are arguably the best brewery in the world alongside Homage for me. Everything they do kills it.

De Garde: They are not always consistent... but their stonefruit and berry stuff is outlandish.

Side Project: Their fruited wilds are the best in the world alongside Homage and Cellador imo, Fuzzy has a rep for a reason. Balaton... everything they make is just worthy of awards.

Hill Farmstead: Arthur and Anna are the blueprint for how to do a balanced saison-wild.

Cantillon and 3F: The papis of the lambic world. Cantillon is still the golden standard for most, though I have to say I like 3F better for a clean gueuze.

Floodland: I haven't had much of their stuff, but what I have had has blown me away.

Those are for me the holy grail of sours to this day.

38. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (237) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

If/when I win the lottery, I will fill my cellar with limited beers from Hill Farmstead. There are many equally good beers around the world, but HF are definitely on top of the Barrel aged wild/sour/ whatever you want to call it beers. But I also have to give credit to Allagash, specifically Coolship Resurgam-That was my introduction to the lambic style. Thankfully, if don't win the lottery I can still buy HF shelfies and Cuvee Rene by Lindemans. In a beer world filled with overpriced NEIPAs (at least here in New England) it wonderful to still find beers made in traditional styles that are amazing at affordable costs. I just wish I could buy Cantillon and 3F beers at the source- such good prices... Unfortunately, the secondary or shipping....Ugh

39. WA_Brian

WA_Brian Disciple (391) Nov 17, 2015 Washington
    Society

Try one of The Ale Apothecary's beers made with pine tree needles. Sahati and Ralph are fairly regular offerings but if you stumble upon a batch of Spruce Sahalie or Spruce La Tache don't pass it up.

oldmankoch and Pstone530 like this.
  40. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,374) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Orval - the O.G. 'sour'