Feature Request: Hide Ratings/Scores

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by ZenAgnostic, Apr 30, 2019.

1. ZenAgnostic

ZenAgnostic Savant (991) Jan 27, 2011 Texas

I've been rating beers on this site for many years now and one of the most annoying things about rating beers is checking the beer's page first for whatever reason (such as to see if the pic already exists, if i need to upload one, or if i'm about to rate the beer) and the beer's rating pops up immediately.

I don't want other people's ratings to influence my own perception so I have to hold my hand up to the screen when loading the page and hope I don't accidentally catch a glimpse.

I wish there was some kind of 'rating mode' where it hides numerical ratings of beers so you can rate without tainting your own judgement.

2. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,559) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

It’s an interesting idea. In the interim, try rating the beer in your phone’s notes app or on a cocktail napkin first. It’s five numbers, so not that hard to copy over.

3. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (1,934) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I agree. This is a simple concept to avoid following sheep. Cheers!

4. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,252) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Initially I thought that this would create an issue when picking up new beer but I realized that I'm usually skipping past the rating for the most part and reading a reliable reviewers review. I therefore agree that it would be a great idea

mudbug likes this.
  5. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,661) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I really don’t see the need, just note your review numbers prior to opening?

6. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,431) Dec 25, 2003 California

Nope. Flag the Nasty Beers.

JimboBrews54 likes this.
  7. ZenAgnostic

Like I said, there's many different reasons why this might happen.

Another one is if I'm at a store and I don't know whether I've had a specific beer before. I type in the beer name and click it to see if I've rated it. Now I know the score, too. Even if I haven't rated it before.

In the past I've literally written down hundreds of beers on a paper, but this or printing is just not feasible.

It would be nice to have a downloadable offline rated beer list or something for bad reception. Some way to export our data or have it offline. Maybe the beer app can do this.

#7 ZenAgnostic, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Roguer, seakayak and beertunes like this.
  8. scream

scream Meyvn (1,053) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

I tend to not look at others ratings before rating a beer. Trying to rate based on what I feel at the time. There are times when I may change my perspective, but that is only based upon my perception not what someone else thinks. There are many very popular beers here that I think are over-rated - could following the herd thinking cause this ?

9. johnInLA

johnInLA Champion (838) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society

Might be a nice society feature.

I too find myself avoiding the beer section of the site, until my rating is finalized. Bias is hard enough to fight with seeing everyone's ratings.

I think it would be nice to see reviews without ratings. Sometimes I would like to see reviews before my rating or review is final, to see if there are some characteristics that I have not considered.

Yes, this is bias too, but saying someone smells x or tastes y, is not unlike doing a tasting with others, prior to your final score.

beertunes likes this.
  10. johnInLA

johnInLA Champion (838) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society

OK, I actually meant to say "something smells like x"... not someone.

Another nice Society feature would be giving a little more editing time for the slow old timers amongst us :slight_smile:

beertunes likes this.
  11. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,029) Sep 24, 2007 Montserrat
    Trader

Ya know, I think I'm with OP on this. Hide the scores, and, folks who actually use scores as a buying guide, it's just one more tiny click: "show scores". Whereas those of us who don't, don't get infected by seeing the score before we review.

Let's make this happen.

Roguer and ZenAgnostic like this.
  12. Milktoast75

Milktoast75 Devotee (451) Oct 27, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

I like the idea of hiding the rating. I’d like to think that it doesn’t influence my review but I’m only human. Besides, if I am swayed, is a quarter point here and there the end of the world? Not for me. It’s fun.

beertunes likes this.
  13. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (31,121) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Moderator Society Trader

Just ignore them. I review all beers regardless of what anyone else thinks. Just score what you think it is worth at face value/style. Don't put any weight on the overall score, most people don't even review to style anyways. Especially the tickers that don't write anything.

14. beertunes

Trader

Sure, but....

Some folks are Influenced. Why not eliminate the opportunity?

15. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,703) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

hm, I would literally get tired of unclicking to see the score. I for one am too generous with my scores, but again I am easy to please. I have no issue going against the crowd on a beer, like I will ever meet them face to face to have to explain it, so I am not really concerned with it. But I do want to see the score. If several new beers have dropped and I am at the store, I want to see what others (those I trust reviews on) have rated it and why they did so. If I want to read a description of the beer, I go to the brewers website, as most people don't enter the brewers notes here.

Bitterbill likes this.
  16. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,572) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

It's a good idea, and it just does more easily what I already do, which is do the review first and then go to the page and paste it.

17. papposilenus

papposilenus Meyvn (1,173) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire

This. I write all of my reviews in Notes on my iPad, hit 'copy,' then toggle over to Safari and hit 'paste.'

That said, I've usually looked at the score before I bought the beer in the first place. (And I'll occasionally read someone else's review after the fact and go 'OH! that's what that taste was!' and go back and edit my own).

LeRose, TheDoctor and cavedave like this.
  18. ZenAgnostic

But again, I've given an example of one use case where it does more than that could ever do.

There are various reasons why someone might want to show up to a beer review page before you complete your review.

Such as:

• seeing if you have rated the beer before (so you know whether to buy, rate or drink)
    • checking the style (useful to know for those who rate beers in style. also for knowing serving temps)
    • checking the ABV (useful to know ahead of time for obvious reasons)
    • checking if a pic / beer profile already exists (so you know whether or not to waste time setting up a shot before pouring)

and just to clarify, i'm not saying this needs to be some kind of mandatory or default setting. just having a little toggle button somewhere to have the option would be nice.

seakayak, johnInLA and cavedave like this.
  19. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (1,961) Mar 7, 2013 Quebec (Canada)
    Trader

And here I thought I was the only one who did this. I always feel ridiculous doing it, too.

ZenAgnostic likes this.
  20. Sound_Explorer

Sound_Explorer Poo-Bah (1,671) Dec 29, 2013 Washington
    Society

I have thought the same some times, looking at a score influencing my own perhaps. I try to not scroll down or cover it up and have written plenty down and transferred over later. I don't think it has a lot of sway but now and then, when I rate a beer close to the overall but just a little below (my 3.9 to the overall 4.1) I can remember pushing a number up to get closer. Not to be like everyone else, but if I was debating a 3.75 or a 4 for Feel or something and went with 3.75 at first. I have changed it to 4 a few times I'll admit.

Maybe the score won't come up until you rate it? It will still show on the brewery page but not when you open the selected beer's page. Or simply moving it a little further down to possibly not be seen right away? Or among the beer tools (where you select to edit/update) could be a reveal score link to show it, if you are using it to buy before you rate.

Idk, just spitballin here.

21. beertunes

Trader

Seems like it would be simple enough, we already have a box to click to hide ratings from reviews, a similar box to hide scores could be next to it.

22. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,046) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

So funny this is being brought up. When I first started reviewing I would just try to ignore the rating but after the first hundred reviews or so I just stopped worrying about it

FBarber likes this.
  23. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,618) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Or easier yet, try not giving a shit about what other people think.

hardy008, cavedave, LeRose and 6 others like this.
  24. Buckeye55

Buckeye55 Poo-Bah (3,184) Jan 11, 2019 North Carolina
    Society

I look at two ways:

If I am thinking about picking up a new beer that i am nit certain of. I will look at the ratings.

If I am rating/reviewing a beer, I don't give two shits about how BA's rank it. It is my thoughts of the beer. I will look at my beers rated so far and look at the outliers that I am either way high or way low on, but it doesn't sway my thinking. I like or don't like what I like or don't like as does everyone else

WesMantooth likes this.
  25. ZenAgnostic

Funny thing about advertising (or any type of socially influenced cognitive bias) is that companies spend untold billions on it. Because it works. Scientifically, mathematically, economically proven to work. Enough for the most powerful entities on the planet to spent enormous portions of their wealth on it.

But ask any person and they all think it has no effect on them. Everyone thinks they're special. Everything thinks they're somehow above it. You know who's fooled the most by how confident they are in themselves, and their individuality.

Dunning-Kruger effect in action.

(this rant brought to you by beer)

Roguer, meefmoff, PapaGoose03 and 3 others like this.
  26. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,871) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Spending all that money works except for when it doesn't.

https://www.bluleadz.com/blog/10-of-the-biggest-marketing-fails-of-2017

The problem is we mortals usually see only those that worked because we ignore/quickly forget the ones that didin't work.

We all have some degree of confirmation bias, even the pros.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8178540

Most folks have a motive to ignore the failures and look only at the success. (E.g., which of those big spenders would higher an advertising agency that presented a portfolio that included a record giving equal treatment to detailing their successes and failures?)

#26 drtth, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Roguer likes this.
  27. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,572) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Believe it or not, some people don't even realize that this site and all the content we provide to it is advertising for the craft beer industry.

28. scream

scream Meyvn (1,053) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

Maybe the wrong place for this, but I sometimes look at how I have rated beers of a particular style and then wonder why I rated beer A vs. B vs C etc. If I were to try them side by side how would I assess them vs. each other. It's all about a # we pick at the time and not necessarily how they compare to each other. Maybe I should look at past rating of similar beers before submitting a new rating.

Buckeye55 likes this.
  29. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,480) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Please don't hide scores by default. That would be a major PITA when trying to use BA while beer shopping. I usually don't buy new-to-me beers where there have been a lot of scores/reviews and a low score. Perhaps have a user setting to withhold scores for those that want that.

FBarber and drtth like this.
  30. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,622) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I see the scores yet I don't see them.