Feedback on reviews

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by ZenAgnostic, Jan 11, 2020.

1. ZenAgnostic

ZenAgnostic Meyvn (1,028) Jan 27, 2011 Texas

I've been writing reviews on this site for over a decade. Once every few years someone will actually send me a PM in response to one of my reviews, but there's a striking lack of interactivity. Not even so much as a feature to Like someone's review to show appreciation.

I don't find it at all necessary for me in particular, but I think it might be healthy for the system as a whole if there were some sort of feedback mechanism to make reviews not just feel like we're shouting into an empty void.

It really does feel like I'm doing this only for myself. And for my use, that's perfectly fine. But it can feel like a pretty lonely experience if your goals aren't so selfish.

2. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,260) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I simply couldn't care less. I don't need the validation. I rarely review beers these days and, if I do, it's usually in an abstract manner. Cheers, sir.

dcotom and BrewsOverHoes like this.
  3. ZenAgnostic

ZenAgnostic Meyvn (1,028) Jan 27, 2011 Texas

The lack of interactive hasn't stopped me from using the site either, but I think both of us are in the minority when it comes to how modern internet users find value in a site or application.

I suppose the devs know this and that's why they've been developing an app, but I guess these updates come few and far between and we're almost an anachronism at this point.

dukeandduke likes this.
  4. AmeriCanadian

AmeriCanadian Meyvn (1,014) Jul 5, 2014 Tennessee
    Society

To your point of "doing it only for yourself," I liked the idea of being able to "like" a well-done review as a way of "rewarding" those putting in the time to construct something thoughtful and potentially useful for others. I mean, you get Beer Karma credit for saying something in a forum that someone "likes," regardless of whether it's constructive or useful. Why not do the same for useful reviews since that's a pretty vital piece of this website's purpose? I assume there was a good reason why they removed this functionality. But if we want more real reviews submitted, and of better quality, maybe that would be a way to encourage it.

Don't think I would want to allow for running commentary on an individual review, however, as we know how that tends to go in the forums. I fear that would eventually end up acting as a disincentive for writing reviews.

5. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,567) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

While I don't think that I would "Like" and send a PM to another user about their reviews, I have noticed certain other users that have similar palates to myself so I started following them. When I am out shopping and looking up a beer I'm considering for purchase, I sort the beer reviews by the users I am following and look at what they had to say about it.

6. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (3,632) Oct 14, 2009 Texas
    Society Trader

I’m not looking for validation, however every now and then I come across a review that just reads well—whether it’s witty, insightful, or so incredibly descriptive in singing some praises or detailing a critique that I want to seek out the beer in question, or revisit it if I’ve had it before. Sometimes I’ll share these with a friend, even. Rather than feedback I’d suggest some sort of rotating “featured review” or “featured reviewer,” showcasing some of the best writing on this site.

7. johnInLA

johnInLA Champion (873) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society

I'm not a fan of this idea.

Reviews are meant to be one person's experience with that beer, at that time, under those conditions, based on their current skill level of reviewing beers.

You disagree with someone's review. Review the beer and express your opinion about the beer there. You like a review? Then follow the person, as was suggested earlier, or make note of them and give their reviews more weight when reading reviews. Maybe even PM, as suggested and yet to know them.

We also have the forums for discussion. Want your review debated, post tasting notes in appropriate threads. Many people do.

I can tell you, I was a lurker on this sight for many years. Never wanted to post a review. who am I? I'm not a cicerone. It took another BA to get me to engage. Today, I've developed a pretty think skin to trolls, so I can take the criticism, on my reviews, comments, etc. online or in person. But my concern is the new guy. The guy like me years ago, that didn't engage. Feedback exposes new reviewers to trolls, discouraging reviews. Not to mention popular opinion bias. Imagine people writing review just to get likes or positive feedback, rather than just documenting their experience with a beer.

Frankly,. I think the bros have it right, as it is.

Just one man's opinion.

8. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,989) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Used to be able to like reviews - but it got disabled. I liked that because I liked giving a "thumbs up" to a helpful well written review when I came across them.

I've only been contacted once about a review and I'd be lying if I didn't admit that it was kind of weird for me. I'd just never had that happen before.

9. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,546) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

I think this an interesting take, and point. I do toss likes here and there, but it's pretty rare, to be honest. You're unlikely to get much feedback on your individual reviews, and that's mostly a function of simply how many reviews there are, in total.

Allow me to offer New Beer Sunday. The entire point is to share our reviews and thoughts, and perhaps chat about them. If WBAYDN? is the virtual bar, NBS is the virtual craft beer bar. Many of us interact about our experiences; @cjgiant and I have a moderately long history of overlapping reviews on the same day, even, and that makes reviewing a blast. It makes it communal, really.