Fieldwork appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by cookiequiz, May 27, 2016.

1. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (189) Feb 25, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

so the Sac room released and killed their King Citra release in 24 hours. I guess this means I need to start calling ahead before dropping in. Which is pretty lame. Fieldwork please make your releases last more than 24 hours.

2. thuey

thuey Initiate (189) Nov 13, 2015 California

You mean cans were gone in 24 hrs or their taps were gone in 24 hours?

3. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (88) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Had a crowler of King Citra yesterday and it was great. Also had a glass of that Imperial Hot Chocolate at the brewery. It was phenomenal. I dream of a world where they put that in nitro cans.

4. VitisVinifera

Beer Trader

There were no cans. Tapped out in 24 hours.

5. Kwahgs

Kwahgs Aspirant (234) Feb 13, 2017 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Man, I've really been enjoying the Fieldwork brews I've gotten my hands on recently too. I have to say, though, that when I visited the brewery in Berkeley I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. I don't know if I built it up too much or what but I expected the fresh brews from the keg to blow me away but after my flight there were only one or two (Imperial Hot Chocolate and something else) that were really memorable. Still loving what I'm able to find outside of the brewery so it may have just been an off day for them or, more likely, for me.

6. thuey

thuey Initiate (189) Nov 13, 2015 California

My bad, I don't follow FW as closely these days.

I do worry about FW's strategy. They only brew in Berkeley, yet have taprooms in Sac and Napa, and two on the way at Monterey and San Mateo. I'm not sure if they plan to do brewing at any of the upcoming locations, but if not... how can they keep the taprooms from being bastard stepchildren?

7. atomicpunk5151

atomicpunk5151 Initiate (174) Jul 25, 2010 California

Fieldwork had more kegs of King Citra in Sacramento by Sunday.

++++

Also another new IPA on deck shortly...

Virtual Planetoid is an IPA big enough to have its own weather system; taking launch with a 7.7% ABV and dripping juice like an orange on a toothpick. Low on malt character but large and chewy in nature, the drinkability of this hop monster is astonishing. Citra and Mandarina hops hold hands and skip across the palate leaving behind footprints of Valencia orange and tangerine juice that happily linger from sip to sip.

8. atomicpunk5151

Something different for the 4/20 can release.

Mosaic Light Lager.... What??? I wonder what the pricing will be for these cans?

They also have NUG Champa Double IPA cans and Sour Diesel Cans on 4/20.

thuey likes this.
  9. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Devotee (471) Jul 10, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Virtual Planetoid is pretty legit.

10. crico925

crico925 Initiate (199) Jul 8, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Just got a newsletter update from them, sounds like they are releasing cans of Virtual Planetoid on 04/29.

11. vinylfiend1

vinylfiend1 Initiate (131) Jun 8, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

How's the nug champa? Wondering if worth looking for cans tomorrow.

12. yayarea2015

yayarea2015 Initiate (116) Apr 17, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Does anyone know the price for FINER THINGS cans?

13. VitisVinifera

Beer Trader

The Nug Champa is not so good. The alc is very noticeable and gives the palate a hard edge. Pretty un-Fieldworky. The Virtual Planetoid on the other hand is quite nice. I got some Sour Diesel cans and may get into those later today.

14. Ma9573

Ma9573 Initiate (130) Feb 21, 2017 California
    Beer Trader

Virtual Planetoid was really really good, but King Citra was there and overshadowed it from a Hazy perspective. Glad to see it was as good as I remember it, considering what people have said about the recent Galaxy Juice and Galaxy Sauce releases (I was out of town and didn't get to try them). The one that I absolutely loved while there was Shoreline. I must have a unique taste, cuz to me that's the quintessential West Coast IPA. I absolutely love it.

atomicpunk5151 likes this.
  15. VitisVinifera

Beer Trader

Has anyone tried the Doomsday Machine released yesterday? It's a flavored porter coming in at 11 abv with maple and vanilla (I think)? Wondering if it's worth a special trip. According to the site they'll fill growlers of it which is impressive at that abv.

16. atomicpunk5151

Pulp ipa Cans today. Berkeley, Napa, Sac.

Also the Jelly Pack - Tart Breakfast Ale Cans today.

crico925 likes this.
  17. crico925

Beer Trader

Awesome, I needed to stop and grab beer before I take off for my bachelor party weekend. Pulp is definitely my favorite canned beer of theirs. IMHO, they have been really consistent with each batch.

I'm also planning to grab a crowler of the Doomsday Machine. Reviews on Untappd seem pretty positive so far.

18. Ma9573

Beer Trader

Just got my full allotment of Pulp and had a pour. Still so good, if a tad more bitter than last time (from tap). From a visual standpoint, this beer has to pour the closest to a true NE hazy IPA, right?

Eventually fieldwork should just have this as a permanent purchasable can at the brewery.
    Basically just have Growlers and Crowlers of what's on the board, and Pulp cans always in the fridge to buy.
    Or Galaxy Juice.
    Or SST.
    Or King Citra.
    Or Grove Stand.
    Oh, now I see the problem... But they could still do special releases of the others...

KevSal, atomicpunk5151 and Brent212 like this.
  19. grilledsquid

Beer Trader

The last batch of Pulp had a noticeable bitterness up front when it was fresh, but after a couple weeks, it subsided to reveal the citrus and tropical notes which makes it special. I picked up a sixer which I'll start opening up next week.

20. Ma9573

Beer Trader

@grilledsquid I wish I had your patience! After I give 6 to my sister and 6 to a friend that's out of town, I doubt the remaining 12 last long enough for any flavor changes lol

I still rated the new batch a 4.5 on untapped, so don't let my bitterness comment throw you. In fact I typed that as I was drinking it, and as soon as it warmed up the bitterness had lessoned :-)

Not quite Super Saint Thomas or Galaxy Juice (first batch), but definitely one of my top 5 or 6 Fieldwork hoppy beers.

21. atomicpunk5151

Just got my Pulp and Jelly Packet cans at lunch. Sacramento location. No line, but Mid-Town in general was pretty crazy with all the lunch crowd for Cinco De Mayo.

[​IMG]

22. ElijahSF

ElijahSF Initiate (190) Aug 30, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Jelly Packet, I need that and Doomsday Machine.

VABA likes this.
  23. Gambit

Gambit Initiate (132) Feb 12, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

WTF is a breakfast ale? I'm assuming this is based off those little smuckers jelly things that are on the table at Ihop? Is the beer good?

KevSal likes this.
  24. Ma9573

Beer Trader

Not sure why they went with such a high limit on Pulp. Ran out in Berkeley before 3 according to my friend that showed up a little too late. At least they are also doing crowlers.

25. VitisVinifera

Beer Trader

No cans of Pulp at Sac at 9 but they were doing growlers also. Their website lists the Doomsday Machine as G and C (growlers and crowlers) but the tender said no growlers. She didn't understand my explaining that their site said growlers. So I asked for 2 crowlers and it became a negotiation FFS.

26. IQBlue

IQBlue Initiate (174) Oct 2, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Figured Pulp cans would go quick. How was Jelly can stock looking in Berkeley?

27. IQBlue

Beer Trader

Just got to Berkeley. No more cans of anything.

28. atomicpunk5151

This batch of Pulp is good. Really dialed in at this point. I enjoyed the cans I got.

They really could just make PULP year round. But I do enjoy the variety of the weekly rotation of different beers on tap.

crico925 likes this.
  29. KevSal

KevSal Savant (937) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

man em i excited for the san mateo location to open, ill finally get some cans of pulp lol

m34josh likes this.
  30. IQBlue

Beer Trader

Tiger Uppercut cans might have the best beer label of all time.

atomicpunk5151 and grilledsquid like this.
  31. grilledsquid

Beer Trader

I hope they do a SFII series with the next one called Sheng Long or Yoga Fire.

IQBlue likes this.
  32. IQBlue

Beer Trader

Russian Imperial Stout called Spinning Piledriver

Brent212 and grilledsquid like this.
  33. atomicpunk5151

CAN release today at 11am. Berk, Sac and Napa. 3 different beers.

Hazy Train
    Tiger Uppercut
    Caribbean Queen

34. IQBlue

Beer Trader

Friends got their cans at Berkeley. Said it was easy.

35. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Meyvn (1,070) Sep 3, 2008 California

Had Tiger Uppercut yesterday at Davis Beer Shoppe, solid.

36. Obuwan

Obuwan Initiate (116) May 12, 2017 California
    Beer Trader

Just picked up Hazy Train cans and Caribbean cans at Berkeley. Super easy. Hazy is one of my favorites and I can't wait to try the Caribbean.

[​IMG]

37. Ma9573

Beer Trader

I didn't get a chance to pick these recently released cans up, and Hazy Train is one of my favorites so I was a little disappointed, but I'm still enjoying my case of Pulp.

In fact I just put Pulp next to Bright, Julius, and Green from Treehouse, and Fort Point and Sleeper Street from Trillium and it wasn't even a competition. All 5 people in my mini hazy blind tasting yesterday chose Pulp. I even had to check the dates on the Trillium and Treehouse cans to make sure I wasn't sent some old ones, cuz they were maltier and more bitter than expected, but they were all canned in May (except Julius). Not horrible by any means, in fact very nice, but the hype is so great that I expected more.

I think it's safe to say the West Coast has caught up in that style, cuz I didn't even include my Contains No Juice cans or Cellarmaker Growler in the tasting (cuz I'm generous with my beer...yet also selfish and wanted them for myself lol)

38. atomicpunk5151

Are the SoCAL Haze Bros headed to NorCal this week?????

Noble collab.... DIPA "Power Glove"

crico925 likes this.
  39. Ma9573

Beer Trader

Well, I guess i need to save up some more money...

40. crico925

Beer Trader

Seriously, my bank account took a serious hit from the last Pulp release. I wonder what the limit will be on these...

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.