1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

FiftyFifty Eclipse Futures Announced

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by abarr8, Apr 12, 2019.

1. abarr8

abarr8 Disciple (365) Nov 15, 2006 California
    Society

FiftyFifty Brewing Co has announced the annual sale of Eclipse Futures. In addition, they have announced that they are switching to a 500mL bottle format for the year's release.

Futures will go on sale Monday April 15th for Brewers’ Intent members, and on Tuesday April 16th for the general public. https://fiftyfiftybrewing.com/shop/

Some styles will definitely sell out via the Futures process:

Isolated Barrel Variants - $16
    • Aged in Basil Hayden® Barrels
    • Aged in Bookers® Barrels
    • Rye Cuvee Blend: "The best of the best Rye Bourbon barrels"
    • Double Barrel Delight: "Aged in 2 distinct spirits barrels, picking the best of the best"

Experimental Barrel Variants - $18
    • Manhattan Cherry Rye: "BA Stout meets a Manhattan - with a cherry on top"
    • Vietnamese Coffee: "Bold strong coffee with sweet cream decadence"
    • German Chocolate Cake: "Coconut, cocoa and vanilla"

3L Jeroboams - $170
    • Aged in Basil Hayden® Barrels
    • Rye Cuvee Blend
    • German Chocolate Cake

Actual bottles will release on Friday, December 6th, and they now ship to the states of California, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico.

A 50% deposit is due at the time of purchase to reserve your allocation, with the remaining 50%, plus the full sales tax and any applicable shipping due in October.

https://fiftyfiftybrewing.com/shop/

2. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,197) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I'm unfamiliar with Eclipse's setup - will these bottles see distribution?

The local market does not get Eclipse stouts, but I know I've seen them while traveling. I'm unaware of if these are "Futures" bottles or not.

3. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (582) Dec 12, 2014 California

Perhaps a stupid question. What is the difference between these releases and the Eclipse bottles you find in Whole Foods and other liquor stores?

4. SuperWhip

SuperWhip Initiate (58) Jul 13, 2011 California

Futures allow you to lock in a bottle and the lower price (Generally stores mark up from what you get via the futures) Those that don't sell out during the futures generally see distribution

eldoctorador and Harrison8 like this.
  5. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (298) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

500ml bottles are a good call here and an underrated format in general.

6. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,736) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I can get Eclipse in Pa and the bottles are north of $30. They’re really nice stouts, but the price tag makes me take a step back. The white wax Eclipse 20 yr Elijah Craig is probably the best stout I’ve ever had though. I’d spring for it if I saw it.

rodbeermunch and bl00 like this.
  7. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,299) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Society Trader

Right. Unless you happen to live somewhere near Lake Tahoe, I'm assumimg the primary draw is to lock in access to particularly popular variants (as shipping costs will typically absorb any cost savings you might derive from the program). It's the only reason I might be interested in obtaining futures of these beers (as we get pretty good distribution of Eclipse beers up here).

8. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (1,955) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Haven't crossed paths with the 20 year, but the 12 year EC Eclipse is the best beer I've had from them (though there's still a couple in the cellar). I'll definitely swing in to grab a taste and bottle of the Rye Cuvee and Vietnamese Coffee variants.

SomethingClever and nc41 like this.
  9. nc41

Trader

The EC 20 is deep in dark fruits, plum, raisins etc, we did it with the EC 12 and hands down everyone agreed the 20 yr was the best beer of the night. I’d like to check out the Vietnamese Coffee and Rye as well.

jakecattleco likes this.
  10. stevepat

stevepat Zealot (529) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

Is the futures sale open to the public? The link in op takes me to a membership sign up page

11. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Meyvn (1,322) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

So a 0,5l bottle is $16 and a 3l bottle is $170 :thinking_face:? That's almost twice as much as it should be, am I missing something here? Like, isn't a Jeroboam bottle supposed to be 4,5l anyway?

12. John_M

Society Trader

Don't think so. When I google jeroboam beer (like for a jeroboam of chimay reserve), it's listed as 3 liters.

The explanation I've always been told, is that these bottles are hand made, not massed produced, costly to make, and require special work to fill and cork\cap. They're also typically made in very small quantities, and are often times highly desired by collectors and fanboys. Hence the significant upcharge.

jakecattleco likes this.
  13. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Meyvn (1,322) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

Well, you would have to have significantly more money than brains to buy a single 3l bottle of this at $170, rather than six 0,5l bottles at $96 total. But to each their own, I guess, a sucker is born every minute, after all.

14. jakecattleco

Society Trader

LMK if you have any challenges finding the Rye Cuvee or Vietnamese Coffee variants. I get up to Tahoe at least once a month and can grab them for you and shoot them you're way.

nc41 likes this.
  15. nc41

Trader

Very cool, I might.

16. John_M

Society Trader

No argument from me on this. Each to their own, but this is not how I want to spend my money. Completely agree with you on this.

17. ernh

ernh Initiate (141) Jun 10, 2012 California

I remember when Stone did Double Bastard in a 3l it came out about twice as expensive per ounce as buying in bombers.

But, even looking at something like Allagash Tripel, in California it's like $9 for a 750ml bottle and $10 for a 12oz four pack. Larger formats are just more expensive to produce and/or command a higher price. I don't get it... But I'll take the cheaper and more convenient option any day! The big bottles are fun, but the beer is what counts.

18. ericwo

ericwo Initiate (89) Aug 21, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

If they really want to sell it, they should have switched to 16oz cans!

19. rodbeermunch

rodbeermunch Poo-Bah (4,525) Sep 30, 2015 Nevada
    Trader

I still love Eclipse, but when KBS is everywhere for $4-5 a bottle. . .

Their 2017 & 2018 lineup shelf turds hard round these parts. Too many substitute goods out there at half the price.

rightcoast7 likes this.
  20. John_M

Society Trader

Same out here in PDX. I'm a big fan of the Eclipse stouts, but at $28/$29 for a 22 ounce bomber, it's hard for me to pull the trigger. A local store near me has most of the 2017 and 2018 line-up that saw distribution, and I'm tempted to grab a bottle every time I stop by. Then I see that $28.99 price tag, and I just can't do it.

Just as you said, there are far too many other local options that are considerably cheaper and nearly as good (IMHO).

jakecattleco and rodbeermunch like this.
  21. bgold86

bgold86 Savant (954) Apr 1, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

22. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Crusader (731) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Society Trader

It is now, starting today.

23. anvindr

anvindr Initiate (137) Jan 6, 2016 California
    Trader

why is everyone complaining about ~$30 prices in a thread about futures that cost $18?

I am confused.

The German Chocolate Cake one looks interesting and this is the first time I have noticed Eclipse futures on time. $18 seems pretty fair to me

24. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,608) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Here on the east coast they are also gathering dust. Shame that, and I very rarely spring for them, but the ones I have purchased have been phenomenal. Very elegant, nuanced, properly attenuated, delicious. Likely won’t hit the mark for the pastryboiz amongst us.

BayAreaJoe, raynmoon and anvindr like this.
  25. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (786) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

Those Elijah Craig versions from years ago were so good.

26. Rbarnes4381

Rbarnes4381 Initiate (144) Oct 29, 2013 California

After shipping there is minimal savings. If you lived in the area then it is much cheaper.

anvindr likes this.
  27. jakecattleco

Society Trader

Agreed, I'll only swing in their spot to grab them. Won't pay markup or shipping, too many other options for the coin.

28. rodbeermunch

Trader

Because $30 prices are retail for their beers historically. You realize they cut the size of the bottles about 25% this year?

When you're $1+/per oz before tax, shipping (i.e. 3x the cost of other world class barrel aged stouts at the grocery store), you start to understand why these beers collect dust.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substitute_good

29. anvindr

Trader

"world class barrel aged stouts at the grocery store"

lmfao. either you dont actually drink stouts or you dont care about the difference between KBS and KBBS.

SuperWhip likes this.
  30. rodbeermunch

Trader

lmfao indeed, guy who has reviewed 13 beers on BA speculating about guy with just under 4000 . . .

jenniferlawrenceyeahok.gif

I guess BA is wrong when they list KBS as "world class" . . .

But you are right about one thing, I don't care about the difference a more adjunct laden barrel aged stout produced in small quantities. Got over tasting hype around a decade ago.

raynmoon likes this.
  31. anvindr

Trader

KBS is world class in the same way Pliny the Elder is. its a dinosaur. A respectable dinosaur that is a good beer. but its not world class anymore. its an entry level BA stout

i can't imagine being dense enough to think that I have only tried 13 beers. (or enough of an asshole to go dickswinging your own 4000 number)

name one "world class" stout that can be found at the grocery store for $6 for a 500mL bottle. I will wait.......

you are full of it dude. and you are somehow trying to force a conversation about their $30 prices when this is a thread about their current $18 prices.........

#31 anvindr, Apr 17, 2019 at 5:06 PM
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 5:12 PM
  32. StoutAtTheDevil

StoutAtTheDevil Zealot (555) Nov 17, 2013 Alabama
    Trader

In December of this year, KBS will be eligible for the Beers of Fame list, and it's current 4.6 rating will place it in the top 10. How you can say that's not a world class beer is completely ridiculous.

Back to the Eclipse beers, they collect dust here at $27 per bottle, but the new size and price point might change that. I'll try a few of them if they make it here again.

33. anvindr

Trader

pliny has a 4.64. I think my comparison was pretty clear.

world class means something different to me than it does to you loyal BAers. lets drop it.

my main point is that people are using this thread to bitch about the tired ass topic of "eclipse bottles are $30" and its pretty ass backwards.

the prices are lower now. your complaint has been addressed. stop beating the dead horse.

still waiting for you to find a $6 / 500 mL "world class BA stout"

34. Rysk22

Rysk22 Initiate (196) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Lower price point is interesting, wonder if they'll collect dust on the shelves like every other release. I know that's my biggest gripe when it comes to these beers. Tasty, but not worth the money.

anvindr likes this.
  35. John_M

Society Trader

The more I read your posts, the more confused I've become (the only thing really clear is that you're a fan of Eclipse stouts, as am I). So I'll try to go through your points item by item.

I'm not aware of anything I would qualify as a World Class Stout for $6/500mL. However, I'm not sure I understand the relevance of that statement. Was this possibly a typo? The OP indicates there are isolated barrel variants for $16 and experimental variants for $18.

As for the definition of World Class in the context of your discussion, I guess I don't understand what you mean by the description. I get it that you feel the high ratings for beers like KBS and PtE are based largely on older ratings, and are best viewed only from an historical perspective (and so really shouldn't be considered world class beers anymore). However, I'm still confused as to why you feel the Eclipse stouts are World Class beers. I certainly think they're outstanding, but these days there are a lot of outstanding BA stouts on the market. So price is always going to enter the picture when choosing one outstanding BA stout over another BA stout. Unless you happen to think there's something unique about Eclipse stouts; so much so that price becomes somewhat irrelevant, given just how much you revere Eclipse stouts. I don't feel that way about them, so for me, price is always going to be an issue (hence my reticence in "pulling the trigger" when I see the whole line-up at a local store).

So then we come to price in the new format. It sounds to me as if this year's price is nearly identical to previous year's prices, when viewed from a price per ounce perspective. Of course we won't know that for sure until the beers hit distribution, but my guess is that the MSRP for these beers will probably be in the $22 to $23 range (for the isolated barrel variants). It seems to me that that would be pretty comparable to what I'm currently paying for a 22 ounce bomber (based on a cost per ounce pricing), though I do appreciate the decision to go to the 500mL format (as I can actually consume a 500mL bottle at a sitting, whereas a 22 ounce bomber was a chore and pretty much finished me for the day if I couldn't find someone to share with).

The futures price is pretty much meaningless to me, as there's no way for me to take advantage of it. The shipping cost would wipe out any saving I might experience, and it's not possible for me to drive down to the brewery for a pick-up. I agree it's a pretty good deal for those fortunate enough to live in the area.

So in the end, these are still pretty expensive beers, at least when I compare them to similar quality beers where I live (Fremont KDS and Bbomb being the most obvious examples). Eclipse beers are a bit different from the Fremont BA stouts, and I think they're really, really good, so I'll continue to buy them on occasion. Even so, price is always going to be a stumbling block when it comes to pulling the trigger at the cash register for these beers. I think that's really the only point anyone was trying to make (as I think most folks on this thread have acknowledged that these are VERY good BA stouts).

#35 John_M, Apr 17, 2019 at 7:22 PM
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 9:51 PM
  36. anvindr

Trader

the person i was intending to direct that comment at claimed that eclipse was "3x the cost of other world class barrel aged stouts at the grocery store"

6*3 = $18

he was claiming that he has access to $6 500 mL bottles.

that is all.

the rest of your essay is the topic that I literally said "lets drop it" about (defining world class) and you have also invented the notion that I love Eclipse beer.

I have had less than 5 bottles of eclipse in my lifetime and I dont have any plans to buy them this year even though I am within driving distance of the brewery.

I am just here to bitch at the people saying eclipse costs $30 in a thread where it literally costs $18

37. anvindr

Trader

my original comment that has drawn so much criticism was

"why is everyone complaining about ~$30 prices in a thread about futures that cost $18?

I am confused.

The German Chocolate Cake one looks interesting and this is the first time I have noticed Eclipse futures on time. $18 seems pretty fair to me"

38. Rysk22

Rysk22 Initiate (196) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Eh, $18 for 16oz is still a bit steep. Being in the same price category as Avery is never good in my book.

anvindr likes this.
  39. John_M

Society Trader

It seemed a reasonable inference to make, based on some of your comments and reaction to those commenting about the high price for this beer. My apologies if that's not an accurate statement.

40. anvindr

Trader

I agree that it was a reasonable inference. but I was literally just trying to get people to discuss the new $18 pricing instead of the old $30 pricing. I got derailed by come troll talking about how his world class beers cost 1/3 the price of eclipse.