Finding Beer in Tucson. . .

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by dcgunman, Feb 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcgunman

dcgunman Pooh-Bah (2,608) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Hi all BAer's in AZ and particularly in Tucson. I got a couple of question on finding beer in Tucson. I've taken a look at some of the post on beer in Tucson already but it not the answers I'm looking for.
    Is there a way to find what's on tap/draft at any particular bar or restaurant other than Taphunter or Taplister? Taphunter only has 3 places listed, 2 WF's and Tap & Bottle which is fine, but I'd like to see what other places around the downtown has to offer. Taplister has a better list but it's not always updated. Thunder Canyon is on Taplister and looks to be updated.
    I've been on HUB's website and was wondering if it is updated regularly?
    How about UnTappd? Is it a good guide to go by to see what's on and gone?
    A few more…..
    Hop Slam? Has it come and gone already? Bottles? On tap?
    I will be in Tucson next week Thurs for 4 days. I was in Tucson one year ago around the same time. Hit up Dragoon, Thunder Canyon and WF's on Broadway. Any changes from a year ago? I am planning on bringing a SS growler this trip. Flying in from LA. I know WF's fills any growlers. Who else fills growlers and with what? Most anything? Does Thunder Canyon fill just their own beers or do they fill others?
    I missed Borderlands Brewery last year. Should I check it out this time around? What's good there?
    Ten Fifty Five Brewing?

Sorry for all the questions guys. Even though I'll be in Tucson for 4 days which should be plenty of time, but I won't have all that much time. Two concerts to go to Friday and Saturday night. Bringing the wife on this trip. So trying to hit up at least 1 brewery and places to eat with a good selection of beer. Right now I'm really looking at the HUB for sure. And should I go back to Dragoon or check out another brewery?
    Thanks again Tucson & AZ beer dudes……….
    Oh and I heard that Alpine is starting to show up in AZ. Don't care to drink the 3 ipas while in Tucson. I get plenty here in LA/OC area. Would really like to try something different. Left Hand Milk Stout, Founders, Bell's, etc.

2. NMBeerSnob

NMBeerSnob Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2015 Arizona

I'm new to BA, and not all THAT familiar with many of the 'spots' here, but here goes:

Dragoon: definitely.
    Thunder Canyon: Yeah, why not. Food is good/mediocre depending on taste - but pulled pork (several ways) recommended.
    Barrio: Downrated by some, but I like it. Reuben is good.

Several East-side breweries worth the trip if you have 4 days here; at Nimbus (try the Monkeyshine) you order food at bar, it gets delivered to table.

Relatively new the past few years is BJ's, a 'brewhouse/restaurant' on Oracle just S. of Wetmore (and one East on Broadway) that has a large menu with very good food and a large selection of beers brewed at their facility in Mesa.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  3. DoubleD

DoubleD Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2012 Minnesota

I just got back from TUS a couple of hours ago. If you find yourself up north in Oro Valley, swing by Noble Hops to check out their tap list. Always some tasty things to check out. I had several Dragoon IPA's while around town and they were nice.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  4. NMBeerSnob

NMBeerSnob Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2015 Arizona

QUICK UPDATE ... Total Wine (Wetmore just East of Oracle) has growler fills w/ CO2 backpressure (inside glass bell jars) method. Will fill any 32 or 64 oz. growlers, or sell you one or more of theirs, providing Gov't. warning is on it. (They will paste a temporary one on for you.) About a dozen different beers; list updated regularly at http://totalwine.securedev.co/growler/store/1001/ . Great service, ask for Michael. Decent prices, too.

5. dcgunman

dcgunman Pooh-Bah (2,608) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Dragoon IPA......$3 pints......Taphouse @ Hotel Congress.
    Are you kidding me?
    I could drink this all day. Great ipa from AZ!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.