Firestone Walker Double Jack is back for a limited time

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by thuey, Sep 10, 2020.

1. thuey

thuey Disciple (332) Nov 13, 2015 California

YOU ASKED, WE LISTENED: DOUBLE JACK IS BACK
    Double Jack is back by popular demand as we reintroduce our iconic double IPA for the fall season.

True to its roots, the new Double Jack is triple dry-hopped after four initial hop additions in the cellar. The result is a massively hopped yet improbably balanced double IPA—and an enduring throwback to the freewheeling origins of the West Coast style.

Enjoy bright grapefruit and tangerine American hop aromas, with flavors of stone fruit and pine in this seasonal release that won't last long.

MASSIVELY HOPPED YET SUPREMELY BALANCED
    Double Jack was launched in 2009 and soon became famed as one of the West Coast’s trailblazing imperial IPAs. The beer was discontinued in 2016, but the legend lives on, with “bring back Double Jack” still a persistent refrain on our social media accounts.

Double Jack made a brief return as part of a limited mixed pack last fall and is now primed for its own dedicated comeback.

Double Jack is now available as a limited six-pack can release in all Firestone Walker markets. 9.5% ABV

###

https://www.firestonebeer.com/beer/double-jack/

2. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (2,548) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

Oh hell yes. If this makes it to NH my nipples will be hard as fuck.

3. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (4,184) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society

4. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,296) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Nice! Didn't see the variety pack around here last year (with any dates), so hoping to see it this time around. We've seen Union Jack within 6 weeks in grocery stores, so hopefully that's the limits on this release of Double Jack, if we do see it.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  5. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,255) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Yussssss.

Then again, I don't get FW (neither locally nor "locally"), so ... enjoy it, everyone!

6. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (1,511) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Wish it were Wookie Jack, but I'll think about it. *sigh*

7. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (4,184) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society

Yeah, also true...

thuey, eppCOS and AWA like this.
  8. eagles22

eagles22 Disciple (380) Sep 7, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I love double jack and I'm sure the philly area will be getting this so I'm all over this!!

ChicagoJ and YamBag like this.
  9. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,885) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Nice! Anyone else think ALL IPAs should be seasonal? Plenty of dusty, year round favorites on the shelves in PA, right next to all the shiny new offerings that were somehow canned tomorrow...

I'm not too picky about the name on the can, so many stellar offerings these days! All about that packed on date.

ESHBG and YamBag like this.
  10. AWA

AWA Disciple (326) Jul 22, 2014 California

Hell yeah. But I'm all over this too.

thuey, snaotheus and eppCOS like this.
  11. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (146) Jan 8, 2015 California

Hmmmm. I used to love this stuff. I bought the variety pack last year in order to try it again and it wasn't what I remembered. I think it's more me who has changed though.

seakayak and Cubatobaco like this.
  12. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Crusader (730) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Oh my gosh! I pray that it shows it face near me. I will buy a case! Used to love this stuff! @deanzaZZR probably hits the nail on the head...I'll probably not remember it the same.

13. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,971) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

They are top on my list of breweries I'd like to see come to Arkansas.

Roguer likes this.
  14. deanzaZZR

Back when Double Jack was in the lineup I'd visit FW at least once a year and come back with a nice haul of freshly bottled Double Jack bombers. It was a treat.

15. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,083) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

I’m pretty excited, but bummed it’s not for sale on their website, what’s up with that! It takes you to drizzle instead lol

bret27 likes this.
  16. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (655) Mar 28, 2009 California

Double jack as a seasonal is perfect! There is a shortage of good WC DIPAs in the market these days. I am in for a 4/6 pk or two.

Side note: 75 ibus for a 9.5% DIPA with a good malt character does seems low but whatever.

17. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Crusader (730) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

The days of Double Jack bombers! I've seen many empty ones in my trash can! :slight_smile:

readyski, YamBag and deanzaZZR like this.
  18. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,555) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Nice, DJ is a great beer.

19. deanzaZZR

Without bottling dates as well so sourcing them at the umm, source, was important. I think towards the end of the run bottling dates were added.

Cubatobaco likes this.
  20. JBogan

JBogan Champion (860) Jul 15, 2007 California

I'm happy for the IPA aficionados out there who get to enjoy this beer again. Now if they would only bring back Pale 31. FW did a collaboration Pale Ale back in December with Topa Topa which paid homage to Pale 31, and it was my favorite beer of the past year.

ChicagoJ, Txex06, YamBag and 3 others like this.
  21. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (1,942) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society

@ScaryEd.
    Ed that image is...scary

22. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,567) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

After revisiting union jack earlier this summer and being pleasantly surprised I'll definitely grab a pack of these

ChicagoJ and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  23. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (655) Mar 28, 2009 California

I always thought it was an underrated pale ale. Maybe because it wasn’t an ipa labeled as a pale ale or the lower abv. Both reasons I liked it so much.

24. nc41

Society Trader

If they really listened it wound be year round and in my refrigerator in under 6 weeks.

25. nc41

Society Trader

That doesn't sound so great.

eppCOS and bret27 like this.
  26. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (2,548) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

I mean, it's great for me.

nc41, eppCOS and bret27 like this.
  27. nc41

Society Trader

Only if your up for tweaking them , lol.

bret27 likes this.
  28. beardown2489

beardown2489 Devotee (435) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

good memory, they started printing them on the very bottom of the paper label

29. deanzaZZR

I remember looking at enough of them and being disappointed in their freshness to remember!

snaotheus likes this.
  30. IronLover

IronLover Poo-Bah (1,998) Apr 17, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

A fantastic West Coast IPA....used to have to reserve bomber bottles of this in Southeast PA back in the day. Miss this one....as well as Wookie Jack...hop it comes to the Philly area

ChicagoJ likes this.
  31. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (432) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

Got some the other day. It’s better than I remembered, but it’s also only about a month old, which is much fresher than I ever saw it before when I shopped over the VA line.

ChicagoJ, DrStiffington and deanzaZZR like this.
  32. deanzaZZR

I think this style of beer has passed me by. It tastes like recent Union Jack on steroids and I haven't been a fan of Union Jack over the past few years. Probably me who has changed as a beer drinker.

It's seems boozy and thin with hops of course and some malt coming in to try to balance but it just doesn't do it for me now. Full disclosure, I've been drinking German/German style beers all summer.

ChicagoJ, ESHBG and thuey like this.
  33. thuey

thuey Disciple (332) Nov 13, 2015 California

I never enjoyed Double Jack for the reasons you state. I do find Union Jack enjoyable though. Count me in on the Bring back Wookie Jack! camp, though. Wookus (which I still have a few cans of) is not the same.

34. joerooster2

joerooster2 Initiate (17) Aug 18, 2020 District of Columbia

Probably give it a try if I see it but don't have my hopes up as they (FW) ruined Union Jack by changing the recipe, I'm expecting the same with this.

deanzaZZR likes this.
  35. maxpower

maxpower Poo-Bah (1,732) Jan 26, 2002 Missouri
    Society

Can't wait!

36. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,778) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Just got the notification that my local just got cans in. I'll be picking some up this weekend.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  37. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Initiate (195) Nov 6, 2010 Idaho
    Trader

It's good, too.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  38. Leolo

Leolo Initiate (40) Nov 11, 2015 Virginia
    Trader

39. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,092) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I picked up a fresh 6er of Union Jack fans several months ago and a single can of Double Jack last week. Both solid beers. Agree about Pale 31, I really loved that beer, hopefully they continue with this seasonal release trend of their old lineup beers. Seems to be working based on forum feedback anyway.

ChicagoJ and JBogan like this.
  40. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,088) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

Picked up a six pack this weekend since it was only a couple weeks old and $10-11. Had one last night and it was exactly what I wanted and expected: a nice west coast DIPA. Good change of pace from the NE style.

ChicagoJ likes this.