Release Firestone Walker Double Jack Reborn: Leo vs Ursus Doublus

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by thuey, Jun 28, 2018.

1. thuey

thuey Initiate (194) Nov 13, 2015 California

I never quite liked DJ as much as most people here, but this will be interesting!

Eduk8traz, Dan411, eppCOS and 6 others like this.
  2. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (108) Jan 8, 2015 California

Oh, yeah. I'm stocking up on this one.

3. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (763) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

Reborn again, re-reborn.

4. pjeagles

pjeagles Initiate (134) May 29, 2005 New Mexico

Well if it lives up to the memory as well as classics such as Hopslam , 90 Minute, and Nugget Nectar have....

5. SinBoldly

SinBoldly Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois

This is my fear. DFH90 used to be one of my go-to's. Probably one of the beers that got me into craft. I hadn't had it in about 3-4 years because I could never find it fresh enough, but found some a couple weeks ago that was about 5 weeks old and was excited to spend time with an old friend. I'm not even sure I liked it anymore - beers and my palette have changed so much. It's going to be a sad day if I end up feeling that way about a DJ wannabe, as DJ was always one of my favorites. Here's hoping ....

laketang and BayAreaJoe like this.
  6. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (316) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

DJ always seemed lighter in malt character that’ll a 90 minutes.

But that isn’t really relevant here. This Leo v Ursus series has been a huge success in my eyes. This won’t be double jack. This will be new school beer with classic C Hops that we loved in double jack.

deanzaZZR likes this.
  7. thuey

thuey Initiate (194) Nov 13, 2015 California

The main thing is that this is "inspired by" Double Jack, and not a reproduction of.

I will say that as far as Wookie Jack vs Wookus, I much preferred WJ. Wookus felt like it was more heavy handed in the hops and WJ was more malty in profile, even though both are takes on the black IPA.

But since it's different, it could mean Doublus could be better than DJ. So I'll give it a shot.

sharpski likes this.
  8. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (2,712) Oct 14, 2009 Texas

Ah geeze, I finally saw Wookus six (?) months after it was released. Given that timetable I'll look for these in [checks calendar]... December?

rikarmstrong likes this.
  9. raynmoon

Surprisingly wookus tasted great 2 months or so after release. Someone got me a 2 month old 4 pack and I had my doubts, but it seemed to taste nearly the same as fresh. Who knew! Excited for this one. Fresh Double Jack was soooooo good. Nothing like it in the market now.

jakecattleco likes this.
  10. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,511) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina

DJ was a great beer if you could get it fresh, and that was a huge problem.

11. stevepat

stevepat Aspirant (288) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

you are spot on with my experience. The leo v ursus series has been pretty hit or miss for me and reinforces my desire for firestone walker to focus on big beers, blended beers, and wild beers. Their hoppy beer game is mediocre to me and their price point turns me off of them unless I'm looking for something fit for a special occasion.

QuakeAttack likes this.
  12. beardown2489

2 month old beer isn’t old

13. nc41

There's a few beers out there that are fading at two months. Beer on the shelf, it's warm, there's fluorescent lights, the are some hops that are more susceptible I think, some of the fruity hops fade more so than piney resins hops, heavy dry hopping plays a part IMO. There's lots there other than just a 2 month bottling date. But that's about my limit and I rarely buy over 30 days old, because I don't have to.

14. raynmoon

Maybe it was closer to 3 or 4. :rolling_eyes::grin:

beardown2489 likes this.
  15. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (533) Mar 28, 2009 California

Pivo is amazing, and Union Jack is great. Neither are big beers and both are hoppy. While pivo isn’t an ipa I was consider it a hoppy beer. Also, both beers in my area are @$8 a six pack.

Whenever I am at the brewery they always have some one off iPas and I have never been dissapointed.

TongoRad and jakecattleco like this.
  16. stevepat

stevepat Aspirant (288) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

i do like Pivo, forgot about that one, but I am not a big fan of union jack personally. Really just a matter of personal taste, they are certainly fine brewers who produce very well crafted beers I just don't often find a lot to bring me back to their IPAs. Their barrel aged stuff, blended beers, sour ales, etc... are pretty choice in those departments for me

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  17. beardown2489

I’m very familiar with how different beers age. I follow these things for a living.

FW beers are extremely shelf stable. Firestone is literally as good as it gets, alongside Sierra Nevada, in creating stable beer.

Cold storage is important. Obviously. But a beer that has been warm for a month and is only 2 months old should still be satisfactory. It might not be th beautiful masterpiece it was coming out of the bright tank, but it should still taste somewhat vibrant and have a pleasant nice aroma to it.

#17 beardown2489, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  18. beardown2489

Different strokes, different folks.

FW walker ipa, to me, is about as quintessential as it gets. (Union Jack, Two Hearted, Sculpin) And I know in today’s ever evolving ipa world that might not mean much to some, but trust me when I say that FWs IPAs are as well made and thoughtfully disigned as anyone in the business. Matt Bynildson is one of the leading experts in hop evolution around the world. He’s a biochemist and helped create a team that has traveled the world assisting hop farms to produce the hops that are most likely in several of the beers you’ve consumed this year. So even if FW isn’t your thing, chances are their influence has improved your hop experience at some point.

19. beardown2489

Either way...

If it was 3/4 months old, then it’s that more impressive that it tastes great than if it was 2 months old.

raynmoon likes this.
  20. pjeagles

pjeagles Initiate (134) May 29, 2005 New Mexico

Matt Brynildson could have created a breakfast cereal made of hops that fed all the starving children in the world, but my opinion is that Double Jack aged quickly, much as Hercules, Maharaja, and other high ABV DIPAs do.

AMessenger likes this.
  21. nc41

It's about impossible here to find 2 month old FW here, unfortunately it's more like 5-6. SN beers sell well here too and at a good price, and I don't ever remember having a problem with any of their beers, ever before their NC expansion. The local beers are so good right now that about the only Cali IPAs I buy are Mikkeller SD, but I'd guess Stone and SN also rotate pretty well. Tough market for retailers to carry so much varied inventory.

22. laketang

laketang Savant (930) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Premium

I'm going to buy some.should be good.

23. nc41

A two month beer isn't old per say, but if the hops are starting to fade a bit it's obviously not optimal. It's a competative market I don't need to pay for an ok beer when I can usually find beers 10 days old. I think it's fair to say the hoppy Pils like Urquell age very well, but I'd also bet it's better at 10 days old vs 4 months too.

24. beardown2489

Chicago had a problem with that a few years back. It’s gotten way better lately. Most FW is arriving in 2-3 weeks after canning now. Hopefully your local distributor and FW rep can figure it out.

nc41 and deanzaZZR like this.
  25. nc41

I love Union Jack, fresh DJ was so damn good when it was fresh. It's fairly new here and it sold well up front, but I see it sliding backwards a bit, not quite as old as Knee Deep who also makes great beers, but the turnover is slow. The problem is a repeating cycle, you have aging beers guys like me won't buy, but I know how great they can be, and you have guys experimenting they buy it and at 5-6 months old he doesn't like it. He'll never buy it again, and he doesn't know it's because it's older stock. Just a horrendous cycle I'm sure most retailers and distributors are trying to figure out. There's such a glut of hoppy beers out there right now I couldn't begin to figure out how to maximize the inventory.

ESHBG likes this.
  26. beardown2489

Drinking my first can tonight. Nostalgia is a glass.

27. readyski

readyski Aspirant (220) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

I feel like DIPAs age better than regular IPAs, usually because I can still focus on the malt and it's probably hopped to shit anyway. I give them 2 or 3 months before I worry, and sometimes at a year or so develops into a tasty Barleywine. So yes I'm looking forward to this however it comes. :stuck_out_tongue:

28. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (108) Jan 8, 2015 California

I didn't get the nostalgia feeling other than it was a FW IIPA. I though the hop profile was more modern and it was less sweet, finishing very dry. Still loved it though.

jakecattleco likes this.
  29. MonkeyBread

MonkeyBread Zealot (575) Apr 26, 2014 Nevada

Tasted great. Odd how low the distro felt for this beer. Needs to be brought back as a staple but I kind of liked this as you knew it’d be fresh versus the problem with double jack before and really all FW beers was the lack of freshness.

30. beardown2489

That’s interesting.

My thoughts were that it was an updated hop profile but a little more sweet.

And to be honest, it was well made but I think 9.5 was a little too big.

It was still very easy to drink, but just a tad to sweet. I think I like Fortem and Adversus better because of the lower alcohol content.

Doublus is well made, and a good deal at 9.5. I just don’t want 9.5% percent beers these days. I hope the Leo v Ursus series gets back to new experimental beers around 8%.

Maybe this is the difference of me being 23 vs 29 years old but I think 9.5% ended up being too big. Especially in 16oz cans.

31. Rajaholick

Rajaholick Initiate (132) Jan 9, 2011 Minnesota

In addition to and echoing the post above, I could swear that this beer is more than 9.5%.
    I regularly drink 10%+ stouts but just cant seem to hang with doublus any time that I've had it. I just finished the last can of my 4 pack yesterday and was feeling drunk half way through the pint. Anyone else feel the same?

Either way I thought it is a damn tasty beer, just a bit boozy. Likely wont pick up another 4 pack for that reason.