Firestone Walker Introduces Napa Parabola

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, May 8, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (8,051) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

INTRODUCING NAPA PARABOLA: A BARREL-AGED ICON WITH A CULT WINE TWIST

Paso Robles, CA: Fine wine meets a Firestone Walker legend with the inaugural release of Napa Parabola, a Russian imperial stout matured in French oak wine barrels from one of Napa Valley’s most prestigious cult wineries.

“Being an avid wine drinker, I always thought that Parabola would lend itself well to red wine barrels,” said Eric Ponce, Firestone Walker’s barrel program manager. “It was something that was always in the back of my mind, so when these rare wine barrels became available, I jumped at the opportunity. The winery didn’t want to be named—all I can say is that these barrels held some of the finest wines you’ll find in Napa Valley.”

The result is a singular beer that marries the French oak qualities of premium Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot barrels with Parabola’s own signature notes of dark fruit, tobacco and chewy roasted malts. The oak contributes a satiny texture with notes of spice and toasted coconut, while the residual wine character layers in flavors of cedar, clove, mocha, ripe berry and dried chili pepper.

Napa Parabola is rolling out to all Firestone Walker markets starting this week. It comes on the heels of the 2019 vintage release of the regular bourbon barrel-aged Parabola last month.

Parabola is Firestone Walker’s most notorious bourbon barrel-aged beer, with a lineage that dates back to 2006. With a rich, roasty intensity that can stand up to a variety of complementary flavors, Parabola lends itself to variant iterations. Earlier small-batch variants have included Coconut Rye Parabola and Parabajava—but Napa Parabola is the first variant to reach all Firestone Walker markets as a limited vintage release.

“While boozy bourbon notes are predominant in our regular Parabola, Napa Parabola offers an entirely different dimension of French oak character, and the wine spices and berry flavors marry perfectly with the beer’s roasted malts and chocolaty aromatics,” Ponce said.

# # #

Firestone Walker Brewing Company is a pioneering regional craft brewery founded in 1996 and located on the coast of California. Firestone Walker’s main brewery in Paso Robles produces a diverse portfolio ranging from iconic pale ales to vintage barrel-aged beers. The Barrelworks facility in Buellton makes eccentric wild ales, while the Propagator pilot brewhouse in Venice specializes in R&D beers and limited local offerings. For more information: FirestoneBeer.com.

sulldaddy, Roguer, dcotom and 5 others like this.
  2. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (79) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

Considering I never even get regular Parabola into the store, I highly doubt we'll receive any of this. But it certainly intrigues me, sounds delicious. I may have to work my magic and acquire a bottle.

mkh012 likes this.
  3. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,103) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I'm in like Flynn.

Spaten454 likes this.
  4. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (882) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Hope this makes it to NJ.

5. pjeagles

pjeagles Initiate (148) May 29, 2005 New Mexico
    Trader

Why in the world would the winery not want to be named?

6. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,121) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

My guess is that they didn't want to be named without a licensing fee, and FW figured they'd sell it all with or without the winery name attached.

jakecattleco, stevepat and JayORear like this.
  7. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,066) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Society Trader

I’m going to buy as much of this as I can.

dcotom likes this.
  8. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,584) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Interesting. I haven't loved most of the wine barrel aged stouts I've had, but I have tons of faith in FW.

9. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (94) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

had the Sam Adams Thirteenth Hour the other night, which was very good, and the Lagunitas Sonoma Brett Stout a few weeks back. That one was even better. Psyched for this.

dcotom likes this.
  10. jamshard2mash

jamshard2mash Initiate (40) May 4, 2017 California
    Trader

port barrel for wine aged stuff or I'm out!

gardenstatepkwy likes this.
  11. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (324) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Has anyone seen regular 2019 Parabola distro in New England?

12. Hinda65

Hinda65 Initiate (165) May 7, 2017 Utah
    Trader

Excited to compare this against brassiere noir which was one of my favorite brews from last year

13. BeardedWalrus

BeardedWalrus Aspirant (234) Jun 5, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Itd be nice if I could find original Parabola round here, but it sounds like an interesting idea nonetheless. If anyone can pull this off its FW.

HorseheadsHophead and JayORear like this.
  14. stevepat

stevepat Zealot (551) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

Like others have said, if I'm gonna trust anyone to do this it's firestone so count me in if I catch site of it in the wild. Definitely be stopping on my next trip down the 101

jakecattleco and jrnyc like this.
  15. Donco

Donco Devotee (442) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

Huge Parabola fan...definitely worth a try.

jrnyc likes this.
  16. ichorNet

ichorNet Meyvn (1,021) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts

I'm sure this will at the very least be interesting and enjoyable, and it has the potential to be amazing.

17. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (310) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

Bummer, I was just in a local organic grocer yesterday and they had 2019 Parabola and Sucaba staring at me on the shelf, not even 1/pp. I wasn't there to buy beer but I had to take one of each just because. I'll pour out a little (a bery small amount I promise) for the homies who still aren't flush with FW box beers. They are making a ton, it will come eventually.

I'm definitely in for Napa Parab-a. Red Wine Black Tuesday was probably my favorite beer from Reserve Society 2018, I think you have to go big and sweet, because french oak soaked with wine isn't nearly as sugary as bourbon soaked american oak, but just like BT, I think Parabola is up to the task. The Red Wine Etain was also really good, I agree with @Domingo RW barrel beers are hit or miss, but the good ones can be really really good.

Hoppedelic likes this.
  18. johnInLA

johnInLA Champion (815) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society

Gotta love the Propagator.

No line, no fuss, in and out in a few minutes with Napa Parabola.

They have the Napa Saison too, for those interested.

stevepat likes this.