Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Firestone Walker Invitational. Too early for excitement?

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by pumptrick, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pumptrick

pumptrick Oct 26, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Am I the only one that can't contain himself? Got five buddies going, scrambling for another ticket. Got multiple rooms at the Adelaide and hoarding bottles for what sounds like a possible bottle share. Last year was the best festival ever for me. Just want to start banging the drum.

Cheers
    Pat

2. stupac2

stupac2 Feb 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Funny, my group just started discussing details via BM a few minutes ago. COINCIDENCE? Yeah I guess so.

3. Rau71

Rau71 Dec 12, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

The correct answer is no. Been waiting for this since last year.

1424IpA likes this.
  4. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Jan 7, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I'm still looking for a ticket for myself. :(

I figure the closer we get to the event. Offering face value of the ticket + a vintage black tuesday if anyone knows someone with an extra ticket.

5. sandiego67

sandiego67 Feb 25, 2008 California

Let me know about the bottle share, I have some decent stuff. I am not going to be at the Adelaide but rather at the Motel 6 down the street.

6. Buck86

Buck86 Aug 8, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

if the trophy-wench was FWI.

.. but seriously I am pretty psyched. I bought tickets on a whim hearing about the event and am pumped I didn't wait on it to see if people would want to go with. The way I explained it to my brother was "From what I read about last year, this event became a pissing contest between the best breweries in the country"

1424IpA likes this.
  7. drgarage

drgarage Aug 19, 2008 California

I've been excited for awhile. I wouldn't make any bottle share on Friday night (I'll probably be crashing in San Luis that night), but could be up for a little sharing post-festival. I'm at the Best Western.

8. Rau71

Beer Trader

I'm a local and I would be down for a bottle share. Just need to make sure I have something worth sharing in June.

9. imyourhero21

imyourhero21 Oct 9, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Too bad the barrelworks doesnt fill up growlers or you would be sitting on a goldmine of beers to share.

Trio2shine likes this.
  10. APreacher

APreacher Jun 6, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I have mentally prepped myself but my taste buds are still in the "oh shit we really ready for this" stage.

11. 4kbrianb

4kbrianb Jan 2, 2013 California

the motel 6 right off the freeway? Let it be known, that is an interesting party in itself.... but there is a BBQ place within walking distance

12. luisc123

luisc123 Oct 20, 2011 California

ISO: 2 tickets. Even if it's last minute and someone can't make it for whatever reason

13. yoitsarch

yoitsarch Nov 13, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Are the tickets connected with your name and must match ID?

14. grrrah

grrrah Sep 21, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Bought a ticket on a whim because it wasn't sold out after 12 hours. Stoked to go now!

15. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa May 19, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Last year they accepted hard tickets or printed tickets were not associated with names.

16. Commanche

Commanche May 8, 2008 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Interesting in a good or bad way? I just made a reservation there.

17. 4kbrianb

interesting in the sense that it is a place to sleep. I've stayed there, you won't get murdered. It does its job. a bed is a bed, right? Plus I am assuming a strong majority of you will be slightly/heavily intoxicated. It is clean enough and easy to get to most places, so no worries for you guys.

18. jtmartino

jtmartino Dec 11, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Yeah, until you find bedbugs. Then you GTFO and sleep in your car.

4kbrianb likes this.
  19. 1424IpA

1424IpA Nov 2, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I live in Paso and there is a brand new hotel called the oaks, I dont know what the rates are but I know it looks a lot nicer than the motel 6 right down the street and the bedbugs are fairly new....lol.

4kbrianb likes this.
  20. Rau71

Beer Trader

Its about a 2 hour drive for me, LA folks on the way up would have a better shot.

21. 4kbrianb

I actually think I may have slept in my car for part of one of the nights I was there. Alcohol induced, not due to bedbugs haha

jtmartino likes this.
  22. AptosBeerDrinker

AptosBeerDrinker Aug 9, 2011 California

Is that a Red you're shooting with in your avatar?

23. 4kbrianb

yes sir

24. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

I am very excited after missing last year and hearing how great the event was.

Retsinis and Skuter like this.
  25. AptosBeerDrinker

AptosBeerDrinker Aug 9, 2011 California

Right on. I'd ask more questions but I don't want to completely derail the thread.

I'm really looking forward to this festival. I don't go to many beer festivals these days but I heard so many good things last year I had to jump on it. I hope all the breweries bring their A game.

jtmartino likes this.
  26. sandiego67

$302 including all taxes for Saturday Night

NoSignsOfPain and 1424IpA like this.
  27. teamizm

teamizm Feb 4, 2005 California

Same. I felt like everyone I knew in LA went and all I heard was "best beer event ever". I made sure I'm not missing out this year.

28. hophead247

hophead247 Jan 27, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

Damn. I got mine for $180 a night from Fri-Sun. Prices obviously went WAY up.

29. 4kbrianb

you can BM me if you want to buddy, no worries!

30. sandiego67

They will have to battle my own bedbugs.

31. StarRaptor

StarRaptor Jun 8, 2010 California

I'm staying out on the coast in Cambria and getting drop off by my wife the morning of. Last year I got there an hour early and was near the front of the crowd. This year I think I'll show up closer to the start time.

ehammond1 and sliverX like this.
  32. grandmachine

grandmachine Mar 11, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

I'm going to try and land a pair of tickets a few weeks before the event.

33. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

Does anyone have any info on the block rates at some of the hotels FW lists on their website?

34. pumptrick

pumptrick Oct 26, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Adelaide was just over 100 per night if memory serves correctly

jtmartino likes this.
  35. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Jun 23, 2009 Washington

I can't wait. Really glad I bought tickets THEN decided to plan our yearly vacation around it.

Looking forward to any bottleshares that will be happening (if y'all will have me). Can also bring some stuff down for IP trades or whatever.

Cheers fellas and I'm looking forward to meeting a bunch of ya.

Best Western here.

36. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Jul 10, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Is there a sign up sheet for the bottle shares or do people just show up with random bottles?

Also, for those of you who did do shares after the event, how late did you guys start them? I'd imagine most people would be hammered by the end of the event and the prospect of drinking even more beer in the evening might be a little intimidating for lightweights (like me). Still, though, a share sounds fun even if it's just for a few pours.

37. sandiego67

When I called Aidelaide a few months ago, they had a 2 night requirement.

38. sandiego67

I plan on filling a cooler with trades/bottleshares. I anticipate spontaneous transactions.

We could probably start an IP ISO a few days before the event. If someone is looking for a particular beer someone might be able to hook them up.

Skunkdrool and OakedCanuck like this.
  39. StarRaptor

StarRaptor Jun 8, 2010 California

Last year they wouldn't even let me in with a water bottle

40. sandiego67

I meant before and after. I can understand that they don't want outside beer coming into the festival.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe