Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Release Firestone Walker Mocha Merlin can release

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by RobHB, Sep 29, 2017.

1. RobHB

RobHB Initiate (130) Aug 20, 2017 New Jersey

The title says it all. Firestone, not content with a great Oatmeal Stout, releases what looks to be a great variant in their line of stouts.

2. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,078) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Nice! I love Velvet Merlin. This sounds great!

3. Pantalones

Pantalones Devotee (479) Nov 14, 2014 Virginia

Velvet Merlin was already really good, and the chocolate-and-coffee stouts also tend to be great. I know it's lower ABV than a lot of the imperial stouts with these additions, too, which is always nice since I've been tending more toward the lower-ABV stuff recently.

Definitely going to try this when I see it.

4. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Disciple (379) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia

Take my money!

AZBeerDude72 and deanzaZZR like this.
  5. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (245) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Grapefruit UJ up next? They have started to go the way of just flavoring thier cores. Between this and the move to 12oz specialties the future is looking bleak. Disappointing.

6. breadwinner

breadwinner Meyvn (1,162) Mar 6, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

What other cores have they flavored? And I love the 12oz specials. I dunno, FW is still cranking the jams in my book.

7. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Devotee (461) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Beer Trader

as long as they leave Stickee Monkee alone :grin:

VABA and BWood like this.
  8. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Meyvn (1,192) Sep 3, 2008 California

This isn't a new recipe, just new format. Doubt they're going where you implied.

9. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Aspirant (225) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

What you don't want plum Stickee Monkee?

Really? I've never seen it released before. Brewery only maybe?

10. brewaddict

brewaddict Disciple (368) Nov 25, 2015 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I find Velvet Merlin is OK. Nitro Merlin is a different story. That stuff is pretty awesome. Might give this a try.

jakecattleco and BWood like this.
  11. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Savant (989) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

This is awesome, will be in my rotation as soon as I can get. :sunglasses:

12. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,254) Dec 25, 2003 California
    Subscriber

Already have it. It is TASTY and not super strong.

13. BWood

BWood Defender (657) Jan 4, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Agreed. Merlin on nitro is phenomenal.

jakecattleco likes this.
  14. jakecattleco

At least in bottles it was shelf available, but maybe limited to CA.

Hoppedelic likes this.
  15. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (170) Jan 8, 2015 California

I had lunch in at Venice FW last weekend and stupidly did not get a half pour of this stuff. The next Leo v. Ursus rye IPA is interesting though.

16. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (245) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Eh. Less for more, flavoring classics...that's exactly where they are going.

17. breadwinner

breadwinner Meyvn (1,162) Mar 6, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Not to be a douche (especially because I like your posts!), but they flavored one classic, with about as natural a complement as you could choose (coffee) and that has a long history of being used in the style at hand (stout). That's the only one they've flavored. And they did it 3 years ago as part of a bomber mixpack, this year they just expanded to cans. This isn't recent, it isn't extreme, and there's been not a shred of expansion elsewhere.

As for less is more, that's well trodden ground, and I doubt anyone will change their mind at this point -- either you like small formats and are willing to take a marginal per oz cost increase in exchange for the flexibility of not being saddled with bombers, or you like the shareability and value (can't believe I said value and bombers in the same sentence) of bombers.

jakecattleco, RobHB and DonicBoom like this.
  18. Brolo75

Brolo75 Poo-Bah (1,678) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I'll give it another try as I had a bottle last year and I wasn't impressed. I prefer regular Velvet Merlin to this. I remember the mocha and coffee being muted. Hopefully FW can get some fresh cans out as they're beers are usually around 4 weeks by the time I see them in the stores.

VABA likes this.
  19. TheSixthRing

TheSixthRing Poo-Bah (2,375) Sep 24, 2008 California

Good. I was disappointed that Adversus was more or less a re-tread of the initial release, Fortem.

20. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (360) Apr 29, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I'll give this one a go. A beloved FW fan since the early 2000's. They have never made anything that I have truly disliked. My wife would approve, thus...its a "must try."

21. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Champion (830) Feb 5, 2014 Texas

Where in CA are you? Seems excessive considering you are in the same state.

22. Brolo75

Beer Trader

I'm about 4 hours south of Paso Robles. I'm not sure why but it's very rare that I find FW beers within a two week bottling period. Leo v. Ursus Inferos was canned and released two weeks ago, still not on shelves.

23. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Champion (830) Feb 5, 2014 Texas

That is pretty crazy considering the proximity. I've gotten to the point that the only hop forward offerings I'll buy from them are the Luponics and Leo v. Ursus series and only right when they come out. UJ and DJ are all 3+ months old whenever I check them.

Brolo75 likes this.
  24. jakecattleco

If they start flavoring other beers (that they haven't done previously) perhaps I'll eat my words, but I don't think you describe a trajectory that FW is following. TETO

25. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (170) Jan 8, 2015 California

I'm 2 hours north of Paso Robles and it's pretty much the same here. I never saw the 2nd beer in the Leo v. Ursus series. I used FW's beer finder a few times, but the closest location was 20+ miles away.

redeemer likes this.
  26. Brolo75

Beer Trader

I know, they have a serious distribution issue. I love Union Jack but won't purchase because its usually old when it hits shelves.

27. JasonJYoung

JasonJYoung Initiate (160) Jan 7, 2015 Washington
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I have to admit, kinda disappointed that regular Velvet Merlin will not be in the regular bottle distribution in 2017. Was actually hoping regular Velvet Merlin would be released in cans.

Anytime a brewery releases a coffee or so-called "Chocolate" varient of an already excellent beer, things tend to get interesting. We all know how this could turn out to be a positive or negative spin on a classic beer. Why not release both? Oh please, FW (Duvel Moortgat) has plenty of money, resources, and the supply chain to handle this.

BTW: There are still six-pack bottles of Velvet Merlin here in Seattle.

I really hope FW doesn't mess this up!!!

28. RobHB

They are also releasing Nitro Merlin in cans. I had it on draft earlier this year and it was sublime.

29. RobHB

Picked up a six pack of the Mocha Merlin in cans for $10.99 here in NJ. Dear lord is this a wonderful beer. An absolute *perfect* amount of coffee infused in the beer (at least for my palate). You get the flavor of the coffee without the bitterness some coffee stouts can impart.

I may have to get more of this before it sells out.

BeerMeInStl, Harrison8 and Riff like this.
  30. i_run_far

i_run_far Initiate (63) Aug 11, 2016 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Good beer but velvet merlin is my preference, the coffee gives a little more bite than I want in a low ABV stout.

31. brewaddict

brewaddict Disciple (368) Nov 25, 2015 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Love that it's made it to the East Coast already. I'm 2 hrs north of Paso Robles and it hasn't hit the shelves here yet. You watch. There will be some special bottle release on Black Friday that I'll drive down there for and that will be the first time I'll get to find it in cans.

32. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (1,574) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Wandered into this while looking around for Born Yesterday. I'm not quite as active as I used to be in keeping up with releases, so it was a surprise.

And an excellent pick up. Bought some fresh Breakfast Stout this year, and the Mocha Merlin is right there alongside the Breakfast Stout - just a little thinner. Drinking Black House now (for the first time), and Mocha Merlin is right in line with that Modern Time's beer as well. I will be picking up another 6 pack of Mocha Merlin at some point here soon.

It's safe to say, coffee beers are my weakness. I often find fault in a coffee beer that doesn't have enough coffee, but Mocha Merlin has a good amount, with the base beer still plenty detectable.

33. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (1,574) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

There are still bottles from last year? If so, that could be part of the reasoning it's not in the line up this year.

Velvet Merlin did sell out around here rather quick. I wonder how its sales are overall, and how those sales compare with the new mocha version.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.