Firestone Walker Sucaba 2016

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by beermeplz, Jan 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (489) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

The one I waiver on in Merkin.

2. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Disciple (396) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

Finding even one of these, or Parabola, in MA, has long proved difficult. The price is pretty painful as well.

3. Moose90

Moose90 Meyvn (1,404) Nov 25, 2012 Washington

I grabbed a 2105 around Thanksgiving for $16.49, looking forward to seeing it again. Got to have it on draft too and it was spectacular.

4. swampoodle

swampoodle Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2010 Pennsylvania

gholmes 1/19/16
    Will this come to philly?
    Yes it most definitely does.
    The beer store

5. jnance88

jnance88 Initiate (135) Jun 10, 2014 California
    Trader

Just to make you more upset, Sucaba typically sits on shelves around here. It's not that difficult to score a bottle or 2 a few months after release. Cheers...

Brolo75 and mychalg9 like this.
  6. adamgnoth

adamgnoth Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2012 Colorado

I'd take all the GoneAway IPA you could send my way. I miss my Midwest beers so damn much.

mychalg9 likes this.
  7. Donco

Donco Devotee (460) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

Have to respectfully disagree. The 1 year old Sucaba I had recently was better than the fresh one I had last year. However, this is very much a matter of personal taste.

Brolo75 and chrismann65 like this.
  8. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,459) Sep 3, 2007 California
    Society

I didn't think Merkin was all that great, honestly, so I have stopped chasing that one. I had it fresh (I liked it okay) and with a year on it (not as good). I don't think the base beer holds up to the bourbon and/or any subsequent aging very well.

9. Gaddabble

Gaddabble Devotee (477) Mar 8, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Picked up a 2016 near Santa Barbara on 1/18/16. It wasn't on the shelves, but when I asked about it a guy went to the back and produced one. So, I guess that means it's out now?

algebeeric_topology likes this.
  10. raynmoon

raynmoon Champion (804) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

What I meant to say is that the firestone beers are so well blended that they are just perfect fresh. Aging them, yes, is just up to personal taste.

Whenever I age a beer like that, they seem to have more caramel, toffee character than prior, and some oxidation as well. Sometimes the alcohol become more dominant for some reason.

charlzm likes this.
  11. Donco

Donco Devotee (460) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

Well...I have to say every FW boxed beer I've had has been terrific fresh and aged!

12. raynmoon

raynmoon Champion (804) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

... no... it can't be true... It's IMPOSSIBLE! !:grimacing:

Brolo75, charlzm and JohnnyMc like this.
  13. BWood

BWood Defender (644) Jan 4, 2015 California

I still have tons of bcbs sitting on the shelves in 3 of my local stores.

14. BeersandBread

BeersandBread Aspirant (202) Jan 20, 2016 California
    Trader

Where are your local stores? I can't get enough BCBS.

15. vileplume

vileplume Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2015 Arizona

purposely saved a ba bigfoot, bruery mash, and bc bw to have a barrel aged barley wine off against this beer.

16. Thecalmdrinker

Thecalmdrinker Aspirant (218) Jun 27, 2015 Nevada

I don't think I will ever be able to find one of these...

17. skelliott

skelliott Initiate (77) Jul 2, 2013 California

where are you in california?

18. neurobot01

neurobot01 Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2014 California

More to the point, with such a great avatar, I'll personally try to make sure @Thecalmdrinker gets a bottle...

19. Thecalmdrinker

Thecalmdrinker Aspirant (218) Jun 27, 2015 Nevada

Temecula, which is in the south. I'm very soon moving back to Las Vegas, though.

Thanks, man. How much does a bottle cost?

20. Ian_Wedergren

Ian_Wedergren Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2015 California

Would be happy to send you some vintage Sucuba for a 13' or 14' prop (that chicago folks 'stock' up on ;-))

21. WingsAndBeer72

WingsAndBeer72 Initiate (91) Jul 27, 2014 Colorado

Sounds like a good time. I think the Sucaba will win and the Mash will come in second :-)

vileplume likes this.
  22. ZacharyRRobins

ZacharyRRobins Initiate (55) Jan 26, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

Mmmmmm. Too bad we wont see it for like 2 montha in st Louis.

23. maxifunk777

maxifunk777 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2015 California

This didn't knock me off my feet I still have one from last year left might buy one maybe but parabola or stickee monkee I'll buy all I can carry and afford.

chrismann65 likes this.
  24. croush

croush Crusader (784) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I did a blind tasting involving Sucaba, Bourbon County BW, and Kuhnhenn BBBW last August. Sucaba came in last. I would like to try a bottle again this year, as so many people seem to enjoy Sucaba, and to see if it's one that's just not my taste, or if it was just a one-off thing. However, the only FW BA beer to really blow me away was the XVII.

25. Fox82791

Fox82791 Devotee (469) Jun 20, 2014 New York
    Trader

That order sounds right to me. Sucaba is good but for the price and the difficulty to get here on the east coast it's not worth it

26. BWood

Bcbw will win.

27. BWood

So parabola and stickee monkey don't blow you away?

maxifunk777 and jakecattleco like this.
  28. BarrelAgedForrest

BarrelAgedForrest Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2016 California

Already have mine on hold with my name on it when they come in. Since speakeasy also has their barrel aged barley wine coming out around now I'll probably also grab a big foot and see how they all match up as I have never managed to grab a sucaba. Will also be buying at least a couple more to put away.

29. vileplume

vileplume Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2015 Arizona

thats one vote for bcbw, one vote for sucaba

any other takers? place your bets here folks

30. dutesanch

dutesanch Disciple (352) Apr 22, 2014 California
    Trader

As long as the Sucaba doesnt taste like sour cherries and used pennies then consider it better than the recent batch of BCBBW. A better comparison would be Sucaba vs Straight Jacket.

charlzm and Pound like this.
  31. croush

croush Crusader (784) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I haven't had Stickee Monkey, so can't comment on it. I've had Parabola a couple times, once with 2 or 3 years of age on it and once with just about 6 months of age. Both times it was just way too big and hot for my taste. I would've guessed it still needed more time, which could make sense with the 6 month old version, but thought it was strange when I had the 2012 or 2013 last summer and found it to be similar. Perhaps just not my style.

Back to this year's Sucaba, though - anyone have info on when it's supposed to start hitting distribution, particularly for Chicago?

32. johnrt2001

johnrt2001 Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2016 Colorado

Anybody seen this in Denver yet (or heard when it is going to land)?

33. dbannister

dbannister Aspirant (249) Aug 9, 2014 California
    Trader

Had this on tap at FW. It was pretty damn good.

34. SLOCruzin

SLOCruzin Initiate (163) Sep 30, 2013 California
    Trader

Sad to hear MN isn't getting any Sucaba then...

35. shnsajax

shnsajax Disciple (320) Jul 2, 2013 Idaho
    Trader

This has become my annual Super Bowl beer as I will usually drink one of my previous years bottles while stocking up on this years.

deanzaZZR and WingsAndBeer72 like this.
  36. neurobot01

neurobot01 Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2014 California

I just bought a bottle today for $16. Previous years, I've always managed to get some for $14 or even $12.79. Though people are catching on and it's disappearing faster, even right in FW's backyard...

37. RichD

RichD Champion (806) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

While I love this beer and all of FW's boxed beers, the prices have grown at least 5 bucks per bottle in the last 2 years. Back in 2013 when I first came across Sucaba it was priced at $14.99. I bought a bottle back when the 2015 bottle came out and it was $19.99. And this was the trend for all of their boxed stuff. It really makes me think twice about anything that isn't Parabola.

It really sucks too because I really love Sucaba and I think it's a top 5 BA barleywine.

38. BEER88

BEER88 Meyvn (1,481) Apr 2, 2015 Washington
    Trader

That's weird because when I search for Sucaba and touch English barley wine below it, it comes in as #2! But yeah it should be up there with the rest, cheers!

mychalg9 likes this.
  39. mancavebeercouch

mancavebeercouch Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2015 Colorado
    Deactivated

It's hitting Denver this week.

benjamminjones24 likes this.
  40. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2015 Washington
    Deactivated

If your Sucaba bottle was the 2015 vintage, then it's definitely possible it was a "one-off." I heard on very good authority that there was a slight problem with the blend last year (Sucaba is actually 90% "Sucaba" and 10% something else), which left it tasting a little odd, a little off. I have no more details, unfortunately, but I absolutely trust my source. I learned this only after having a fresh bottle last January and not liking it nearly as much as I had before. Give it another shot this year. FW, and their barrel program in particular, are too consistently excellent to write off after a bad experience.

Shermski likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.