First all grain IPA?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by PNW_IPA, Oct 17, 2018.

1. PNW_IPA

PNW_IPA Initiate (32) Nov 18, 2017 Washington

Hi everyone, so I got my new brewers edge mash and boil on Friday and cleaned it out with pbw by five star. I then did the mash and boil. Then chilled it down to 68.7 degrees Fahrenheit. As I was straining it into my bucket for fermentation the strainer fell into the bucket. I think a little bit of the hops got in the bucket but not really sure. Anyway I pitched the yeast in the bucket and 12 hrs later I got bubbling action for 2 days now going on the 3rd day and nothing. The top of my bucket has a bulge in it like it has a air tight seal. Just wondering if strainer falling in has anything to do with that or should I not worry about it? Also it did take 45 minutes with the lid covering the kettle to get it to 68.7 degrees Fahrenheit. This a 5 gallon batch.
    Thanks.

2. OldBrewer

OldBrewer Aspirant (247) Jan 13, 2016 Ontario (Canada)

As long as the strainer was sterile, you shouldn't have any worries. The bulge is a worry, though. Do you have an airlock on your fermenter? It seems like the CO2 is building up pressure in your fermenter without having somewhere to release itself.

If you don't, loosen the lid just enough to let some of the CO2 gas out.

JayDubTrub likes this.
  3. PNW_IPA

I have a s shape airlock on it and it was bubbling like crazy for 2 days then stopped. But I can open the lid and let some of the CO2 gas out. The strainer was cleaned and sterilized before using it.

4. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (99) Jan 10, 2018 California

When transferring my chilled wort into my fermenter hops and trub always carries over. My beer turns out just fine every time. Sanitation and fermentation temp control should be more of a priority.

5. PNW_IPA

Okay update I starting to get a bit more bubbling as I put a heat pad on it. The temp is back up to 68 from 66. I think it is going to be fine now.

6. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (95) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Pull the airlock and see if it's plugged up or restricted in some other way.
    Also there's debate on whether the S-type (aka bubbler) airlock is as good as a 3-piece airlock. I've only used the 3-piece airlock and not had any issues.

Edited to add after you posted: If there's positive pressure in the vessel you can still pull the airlock to check without being overly concerned about nasties getting in....since you mentioned there was a bulge. Seems a bit odd for an all-steel unit.

7. PNW_IPA

I'm now getting bubbling action now. By raising the temperature a bit.

8. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (99) Jan 10, 2018 California

Sounds like everything is going good. Try to minimize O2 contact especially towards the end of fermentation. 10-14 days should be suffice. If adding dry hops throw them in the last 3-5 days of that. Cold crash the last 1-2 days if possible. That’s pretty much my process. And IPA is pretty much all I brew. Kegging is also extremely important as well if you can for that style. Hope my advice helps.

9. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (95) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

In case you missed my previous edit:
    Just curious, does the "bulge" look like it's something that shouldn't be there, or does it look like the lid was designed that way?

10. PNW_IPA

Looks actually like it was designed that way.

11. PNW_IPA

Yes your advice helps a lot. I need to get a leg. But for now it is bottles.

NorCalKid likes this.
  12. PNW_IPA

Not a leg but a keg. Lol

13. JayDubTrub

JayDubTrub Initiate (59) Feb 17, 2017 California

I will say this for bottles, only brewing 3 years now (last year w/Mash & Boil, pros/cons and all) - it's really made me appreciate the way different styles condition and age, and being able to sample at 2 weeks (green, though if primary for 3-4 weeks+2 wks bottle that's style dependent too),3, 4, 2 mos, 4, 6 mos etc. it's a trip. Highly recommend stashing bottles to condition and taste at different points - some beers smooth out, some develop, some thin out (past prime), most drop hop aromas weekly...(IMHO). Getting a bench capper makes it much more painless (though cleaning/sterilizing/storing bottles always sucks...