First Kegerator Bought - Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by RadiantJoe, Aug 2, 2018.

1. RadiantJoe

RadiantJoe Initiate (10) Aug 2, 2018

Ok so I spent quite a bit of time researching kegerators. I decided Summit had a good balance between quality and price. One I settled on was the SBC635MSSHVTWIN. Now every site I've seen had this thing selling for $1100 to $1500.

Except on Amazon, it had it going for $620 + $50 tax. It said shipped and sold by Amazon, so it wasn't a third party seller, and included free shipping. There was only 1 in stock, so I decided well hell this seems like a steal.

What do you think are the chances it shows up as advertised?

2. DougC123

DougC123 Disciple (311) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

Seems too good to be true, anything for half price seems too good to be true.

3. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (401) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio

Sometimes, given Amazon uses all types of algorithms and stuff for pricing, there can and will be pricing opportunities that don't make sense. You got lucky, enjoy it!! At worst, given it's shipped and sold by Amazon, returns and stuff like that are no-issue... So don't worry!

4. Ranger1850

Ranger1850 Initiate (16) Aug 17, 2017 Minnesota

I this the Summit you ordered? I will take it off your hands if don 't want it!

I'm looking for the same unit.

5. RadiantJoe

RadiantJoe Initiate (10) Aug 2, 2018

Nah but a similar one.

An update, the kegerator arrived, and it was indeed the one as advertised. So that is awesome! One problem though, it got pretty banged up during shipping. Massive dent on the side, plastic bit of the door hinge was deformed, and the handle was dented and ever-slightly deformed.

But, all that being said, it functions fine, just loaded it with kegs today, after letting it run all night no problem. I contacted Summit for warranty repairs and sent pictures. Really hoping they just send someone out to replace a few parts instead of saying they want to replace the whole thing, which would be a pain (not even sure how that would work with shipping).

Even with all the hassle, I still think it's worth the massive "discount" I got. Based on some of the ghetto-packaging methods for some parts (literally newspaper in one box), I suspect this unit was meant to be sold to a retailer, then resold. Perhaps that's why Amazon let go of it so cheap, they might have been basing the sale price on manufacturer price. It was indeed in new condition. Heck, would still be cheaper to repair this one out of warranty with the price I paid probably.

I'd suggest checking Amazon for more weird deals like this on appliances and other kegerators. One sticker on the box had a date of "July 2017", so this was probably sitting there for a while, which most likely affected the price.