First Visit to Dallas

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Rysk22, Feb 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (237) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Hey all,

I'm excited to be making my first trip to Dallas this weekend, visiting my sister in Rockwall for a few days. I'll be mostly in the Rockwall area, but we'll also be spending a night in Dallas.

Are there any great bars/pubs or bottle shops I could stumble into? I'd love to try some Yellow Rose and Live Oak.

Thanks!

2. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Aspirant (227) Nov 6, 2007 Texas

Thank you very much for letting us know where you are so we can focus our assistance.

It may also be helpful to let us know what beer styles you prefer or are looking for.
    Live Oak should only have cans of their Hefeweizen, Pilz, and Big Bark Vienna Lager available. I love their Hefe and Pilz. The Big Bark is very good but not exciting.
    Of course Yellow Rose is THE well known IPA from Texas.
    If you want big stouts then Lakewood Temptress of course.

Around Rockwall...

There does appear to be a brewery in Rockwall called Woodcreek Brewing Company. I didn't know it existed and I've never seen their beers.

I would suggest that Garland is right across the lake.
    Intrinsic Smokehouse and Brewery is a brewpub that's 11 miles from the center of Rockwall and you can try some of their barbecue while trying their beers. I was impressed with this place.

Lakewood Brewery, and Oak Highlands are close to each other also in Garland but a little farther away.

For beer stores I know that Goody Goody liquor on my side of the metroplex has a good beer selection so I assume the store going into Garland should be a good stop.

Pubs in Rockwall itself... The Londoner has some craft beer but I don't think their beer selection is as good as could be.

3. saintcdc

saintcdc Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2016 Texas

Flying Saucer is right across the lake from Rockwall and shows to have Live Oak Hefe currently on draft as well as Community Mosaic which would be a good alternative to YR if you can't find any (though you should be able to...).

Lakewood Brewing is a must if you like stouts.

4. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (237) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Thanks guys! I've had bourbon aged temptress which was very good. Would love to try the original.

Is Yellow Rose found in stores?

5. jkn09

jkn09 Aspirant (275) Oct 17, 2012 Texas

If you want to drive about 10 minutes east from Rockwall, Royse City has a great bottle shop downtown called AB Beer and Wine.

They carry Yellow Rose 500ml bottles, but I'm not sure if it's in stock right now or not.

6. saintcdc

Yes, you should be able to find YR bottles in Specs, Total Wine, and some Whole Foods, but check the dates. The late January bottled batches have been very good, but in my experience, YR really starts to fade after just a few weeks on the shelf.

Draft YR appears to be a scarce in DFW currently.

In the NE burbs area (e.g. Rockwall), I don't know of any really good specialty shops to pick up quality craft. Fortunately, Craft Beer Cellar and Craft & Growler are both just a quick drive down I30.

7. saintcdc

Good to know...I'll check it out next trip to visit the 'rents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.