Flaked Rice in a Blonde ale

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by ghostinthemachine, Jun 13, 2017.

1. ghostinthemachine

ghostinthemachine Initiate (198) Aug 14, 2015 Louisiana

I am brewing a quick hoppy blonde ale for a boating trip in a couple of weeks. I was thinking of adding flaked rice to it to make it crushable. Have any of you tried this?

Recipe:
    80% 2 row
    16% flaked rice
    4% caramel 10
    1.046 fermented with saf 05. 149 degree mash temp.
    I think I will bitter it to 20 ibus and have some late addition hops.

Thoughts? It's going to be in alabama so it's for a bud light type of crowd. Thoughts?

2. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Aspirant (227) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

I've used rice a bunch of times in the past. Even some more expensive varietals. If you're wanting to used flaked rice to lighten the body and up the ABV, just use dextrose. Same outcome without the extra work, IMO.

ghostinthemachine likes this.
  3. ghostinthemachine

I realized after writing this that i am basically brewing a cream ale.

Wiffler27, pweis909 and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  4. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Defender (611) May 29, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

Thought Cream Ale was corn?

5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,938) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

For your consideration below is an extract from American Handy-Book of the Brewing, Malting and Auxiliary Trades by Robert Wahl & Max Henius, 1902:

“Cream or Present Use Ale

Material – Seventy per cent of malt, 30 per cents of unmalted cereals,; or 75 per cent of malt, and 25 per cent of sugar added in the kettle.”

The type of unmalted cereal (i.e., corn, rice) is not explicitly specified. Also, a Cream Ale could be brewed without using unmalted cereals but with sugar instead.

A more contemporary source of information is the 2015 BJCP style guidelines which does specifically mention corn:

“History: A sparkling or present-use ale that existed in the1800s and survived prohibition. An ale version of the American lager style. Produced by ale brewers to compete with lager brewers in Canada and the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, and Midwest states. Originally known as sparkling or present use ales, lager strains were (and sometimes still are) used by some brewers, but were not historically mixed with ale strains. Many examples are kräusened to achieve carbonation. Cold conditioning isn’t traditional, although modern brewers sometimes use it.

Characteristic Ingredients: American ingredients most commonly used. A grain bill of six-row malt, or a combination of six-row and North American two-row, is common. Adjuncts can include up to 20% maize in the mash, and up to 20% glucose or other sugars in the boil. Any variety of hops can be used for bittering and finishing.”

I took note that in the History discussion there is mention of .”An ale version of the American lager style”. Well, rice was also used to produce American Lagers in the 1800’s (think Budweiser which was first brewed in 1876). It would not surprise me if some of the American Ale breweries preferred to use rice as their adjunct. Maybe @jesskidden has some examples he could cite for this?

Cheers!

6. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Defender (611) May 29, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

Good deal, I was always under the impression Cream ale = corn. Thanks for the info!

7. ghostinthemachine

I checked my freezer and have my hop choices figured out. I am going to bitter with warrior. I have 8 oz of loral, 2 ounce of vic secret, and 2 ounce of kohatu hops. I am going to bitter to about 15 ibus at 60 minutes and then I think i will throw in the 2 oz of kohatu from 10 minutes on. Thoughts?

8. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Defender (680) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Flaked rice would make a nice Blonde/Cream Ale I think. I used 1# of flaked rice and corn in my last cream ale that's long gone. For any more robust style I would suggest balancing the adjuncts with some continental Munich.

9. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,247) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Some of the many NY and New England lighter ales*, post-Repeal, used other adjuncts, or none at all. Hampden Mild Ale used rice and (corn) sugar and was one of the few examples I can think of that where a brewery "admitted" to sugar usage in promotional material.
    [​IMG]
    In another ad, noting rice's superiority over corn, they claimed:
    Croft Cream Ale was all-malt, although I've always wondered if they, too, didn't add sugar since they qualified the "all malt" with "...no other cereal grains used."

In NY, not positive that Utica Club Cream Ale (my preferred NYS cream ale over Genesee's) used rice but some brewery info in the '70s suggested that U.C. Beer and Ale contained the same ingredients, - in different quantities - and the lager was brewed with both corn grits and rice. Once Matt Premium went to an adjunct recipe, it also (probably?) used rice.

Pre-Pro, Greenway's Cream Ale (Syracuse) advertised it was:
    Those are the 4 that come to mind but gotta admit that I never real paid close attention. As you said, if a brewer used rice in its lager, it was possible that they'd use the same adjunct in their ale but not always. Harvard in Lowell used rice in their lager but corn grits in their ale.

* By the post-Repeal period, US brewers weren't particularly exacting (compared with the modern beer geek) about what they labeled "cream ale". As has been noted frequently in writing most of the beers called "cream ale" were closer to the pre-Pro era's "sparkling (or lively or present use) ales" and once Genesee's blended product of ale and beer took off in the 1960s, things got even more confusing as far as yeast, hopping levels and ingredients went.

Tebuken, frozyn and JackHorzempa like this.
  10. chavinparty

chavinparty Initiate (190) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

Could taste like it has A cereal fruitiness if that's what you're going for. Last time I used Kohatu in an IPA it tasted like fruity pebbles in a weird way

11. ghostinthemachine

Hmmm I may go with loral then.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  12. EvenMoreJesus

It certainly won't be a traditional cream ale, but I liked the character Loral gave to Stone's Hop Revolver, so I think it would work in this application.

13. EvenMoreJesus

Traditionally, yes, but . . . you know . . . brewers like to take their liberties with "styles".

Every time a US brewer makes a Kolsch, I just cringe. They tend to bear little resemblance to what you'd find in Cologne. Kolsch =/= Blonde Ale. /rant

14. ghostinthemachine

isnt a kolsch just pilsner malt and bittering hops?

15. JackHorzempa

Supporter

Utilizing a Kolsch yeast strain and proper fermentation conditions followed by lagering is key as well.

Brewing beer is not just a case of ingredients but just as importantly (more importantly?) brewing process as well.

Cheers!

Tebuken, EvenMoreJesus and Prep8611 like this.
  16. Prep8611

Prep8611 Initiate (161) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Pretty sure u can just use the box of minute rice since it has been pre-geletanized. I see no reason to pay so much for flakes rice.

17. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,587) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Supporter Subscriber

I always thought it was either, but probably because American lagers went either way and because cream ale has been described as a response by ale breweries to paler lagers gaining market share. I don't know how authoritative this BT article is but it does suggest rice could be used.

18. EvenMoreJesus

Yep. Just pour 'em right in the mash tun. No need to cook them in a cereal mash as they've already been cooked.

19. EvenMoreJesus

And finishing hops. And proper fermentation temperatures. And lagering (sometimes).

20. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,383) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Late hops in a traditional Kolsch aren't really typical (nor unheard of). But I'd wager most commercial American "Kolsches" use late hops.

21. ghostinthemachine

I'd say more importantly. I just kegged a kolsch about 20 minutes ago. kolsch yeast, 100% pilsner, and just some noble bittering hops. water wa
    Do I adjust the water absorption the same as grain or does it soak up more?

22. JackHorzempa

Supporter

What were your fermentation conditions (e.g., fermentation temperature)?

Will you be lagering this beer?

Cheers!

23. EvenMoreJesus

You can if you want. Just follow the directions on the box. I just treat it like grain. Either way will work just fine. Shouldn't be a problem in a recipe like this, but I'd make sure you have enough diastatic power in your base malt to convert the rice and I might use some rice hulls, just in case.

Prep8611 and ghostinthemachine like this.
  24. ghostinthemachine

It's lagering in the keg for a while. I fermented with k-97 at 65 degrees and ramped it up to 72.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  25. ghostinthemachine

The rice ale came out fantastic!

Prep8611 and JackHorzempa like this.
  26. pweis909

Supporter Subscriber

You'll see many recipes with a small percentage of wheat malt. I believe I have read that this is not traditional but is being done by some modern brewers in koln. One of the beer rags recently featured an article on the style and provided a recipe with wheat malt but did not discuss why it was included

27. JackHorzempa

Supporter

I have read posts by Ron (@patto1ro) where he has stated that some of the German breweries used wheat as part of the grain bill.

Beyond the grains and hops to my perspective the other 'ingredient' that matters is the yeast strain. I am personally a fan of Wyeast 2565 fermented cool (e.g., 60 degrees F) since this strain creates a subdued but notable ester that tastes like a white wine flavor (e.g., a PNW Sauvignon Blanc) to me. This adds a pleasant flavor profile that I very much appreciate in this beer style.

Cheers!

28. pweis909

Supporter Subscriber

+1. My choice as well.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.