Flameout hops too late

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by TastyAdventure, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TastyAdventure

TastyAdventure Disciple (393) Nov 13, 2012 Kentucky

I forgot about my flameout hops until I had already chilled down to about 140. I went ahead and threw them in.
    Just wondering what affect this will have on my beer? And Will the hops' flavor fade faster?

2. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (482) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

A recent thread discussed how hop oils are absorbed post-boil and the consensus was nobody really knows for sure. Commercial brewers are all over the map on their whirlpool temps/time . . . pretty much the same for the BA'ers that posted to the thread. You should expect little to no acids were isomerized at 140 but you may end up with good hop oil absorption reflected in the flavor/aroma (or maybe not). Keep us posted and remember the old Hop Head adage: "There has never been a brew that could not be improved with dry hopping".

3. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Aspirant (282) Nov 10, 2010 Virginia

The effect will largely depend on how long you let them steep and how much you steeped.

A short steep (< 10") will impart less flava-flav than a longer steep (> 15").
    A short steep with more hop could impart more flava-flav than a long steep with less hop.

140°F would be a tad cool for me but at that temperature...there'll be little if any loss of volatile oils and that's a good thing.
    No reason to think the flava-flav will fade any fasta.

Charlie Pap would tell you to RDWHAHB.

4. mbbransc

mbbransc Aspirant (287) Mar 24, 2009 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

This happened to me twice on a IIPA with a 5oz flameout addition.

The first time, I left the hops in during fermentation and the beer was so grassy I couldn't drink it.

The second time, I racked the beer into fermentation bucket off the hops and it imparted very little, if anything from the hops. A waste of 5oz basically.

I stopped drinking before brewing after that second error. Hasn't happened since.

PortLargo likes this.
  5. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Disciple (347) Feb 28, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I used to add my FO hops immediately after cutting the heat. Now I wait for a few minutes to get under 170. I have noticed better hop aroma since I started doing this. I think you are good to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.