Floodland Brewing

Discussion in 'US - West' started by jpbebeau, Jul 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Aspirant (252) Sep 11, 2011 Washington

I've been keeping an eye on this project for a while now, including taking some photos for the brewery, and since today is the first time there's been an email from the mailing list, I figure it's a decent time to start up a thread.

For those who haven't been following closely, Adam helped start up Holy Mountain and then set out on his own to be even more focused on his vision. All barrel-fermented/aged saisons, etc. A bottle club.

There are a couple articles out there that give decent background:

Seattle Met
    Eater Seattle

If you haven't visited the Floodland website and signed up for the mailing list, you really should.

Forgive the long quote that follows, but I think this covers all the details pretty well:

Disclosure: I met Adam when Holy Mountain was first starting up and he was always super personable and willing to talk about his beer. He's also asked me to take some photos from time to time, but I'm mainly just a fan.

Can't wait to taste the beers!

Texwild, derkruk, Joshbiir and 5 others like this.
  2. WA_Brian

WA_Brian Initiate (191) Nov 17, 2015 Washington

I've been following this closely and am greatly looking forward to trying some beer. I'm also excited about the bottle club, since for me it's the ultimate low-stress way to buy beer. No lines, no stress, just casually go pick up the beer and have a chat with the brewer.

That being said, if that bottle club fills up with whale hunters on the other side of the country begging for proxies I'm going to be furious.

Texwild, rab53, BBThunderbolt and 2 others like this.
  3. drone

drone Disciple (388) Jun 17, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

I'll echo the excitement mentioned above, but I'm expecting the bottle club to fill up extremely fast. He mentioned the fruited releases would see 300-400 bottles produced, meaning he'll likely open up 150-200 memberships. Tiny.

ballardbeer and BBThunderbolt like this.
  4. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,201) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I've politely harassed Adam enough over social media and in person about not getting shut out to the point where I wasn't worried, but now you gotta go and make me worried again. ;-)

5. jpbebeau

It does seem like a small membership/bottle count, but do you really think that 200 slots will fill up that quickly? I mean, he helped at Holy Mountain but I'm not sure the hype level is across the country...yet.

Aside from a few small articles in the local press, there hasn't been much said; I'm not sure too many non-locals even know of Floodland's existence. For my small part in changing that, I apologize. :grinning:

If we can sign up soon, there might not be a huge rush.
    #wishfulthinking

6. WA_Brian

There are 327 Instagram followers. Oh no! Everybody panic!

ballardbeer and jpbebeau like this.
  7. drone

Trader

I dunno if that's a great indicator of how fast it'll fill up, but it's also possible I'm over estimating the speed in which whale hunters will pounce. Recent Holy Mountain releases may have clouded my vision :slight_smile:

distantmantra likes this.
  8. ewendel

ewendel Initiate (128) Feb 12, 2008 Washington
    Trader

Keeping my fingers-crossed that memberships will only be available for purchase in-person. I'm enraged enough seeing posts on Facebook about people on the opposite coast wanting to join. If you like PNW beers so damn much, fuggin' move here.

Irrespective of all that, very much looking forward to trying some of these Floodland brews!

9. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Meyvn (1,309) Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Trader

NO, NO, NO, NO. Send them the beer. Keep them the hell out. We're overwhelmed with too many folks already.

In honor of Emmett Watson, longtime beer drinker, founder of KBO.

10. paysse

paysse Initiate (0) May 15, 2009 Washington

Yo, this is Adam from Floodland. Just wanted to say that I have fairly intentionally tried to keep things with Floodland on the DL so that local folks who followed what I've done in the past don't get left out. I am only going to keep sign-ups open for a few weeks when they do open, so that I can make some decisions about packaging counts for beers that will be just for members.

Sign ups won't be in person, they'll be online. I'll buy you a beer if I'm wrong, but I don't think in person will be necessary. No full proxies/trustees, just members picking up for other members. Although I know a lot of local folks are bummed about bottle release lines and that things with a lot of rare local beers are at a fever pitch, remember that it took a while for any of the coveted breweries to build to that. I held off doing a press release or talking about my beers very much until well after there were lots of barrels filled to avoid hype mongering.

I know that signing up for a bottle club early may seem risky, but unlike some places that have disappointed or seen gnarly delays, Floodland is a licensed brewery with beer in barrels (and beer in bottles, and beer refermenting on fruit...) and I'm a professional brewer who has done this before.

I see opening the club now as a way of making things more chill. I want it to be easy for local folks to get in on it rather than after bottles start circulating and words gets out, when I know there is a good chance that out of state folks would swarm.

Also, it's just beer. If you're too stressed about it stop by Floodland and I'll get you stoned and we can drink some Cuvee de Jonquiles.

11. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,358) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

[QUOTE="paysse, post: 5539391, member: 330371]
    Also, it's just beer. If you're too stressed about it stop by Floodland and I'll get you stoned and we can drink some Cuvee de Jonquiles.[/QUOTE]

Until today, I'd never heard of these guys. Even now I don't know a thing about them, but with an attitude like this, how can you not be a fan?

12. drone

Trader

Really appreciate you taking the time to drop this note, it means a lot. Looking forward to trying out some of the beers!

13. vurt

vurt Poo-Bah (1,750) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I'm already a fan because of their attitude and because "Floodland" is a great album. (Hey, we all have history.)

sharpski likes this.
  14. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,026) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Well, what about those of us who are so stressed over a brewery (that we hadn't heard of til this thread), but don't smoke? Can we just come by and taste (Ya know, at OUR convenience)? :wink:

Seriously though, thanks for the interaction. I've often said that breweries can do no right, in the eyes of the fanboys. Good luck to ya, and, I look forward to trying your beers.

woemad, paysse, vurt and 2 others like this.
  15. chinochino

chinochino Initiate (0) Jul 29, 2013 Washington

I played the heck out of this back in the day. Still do if some unfortunate soul knocks on my door and want to 'save' me. Reign in Blood is just not subtle enough

woemad and vurt like this.
  16. kingsleyr

kingsleyr Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2005 Washington

Can I just do that anyway without the stress? I'll bring something like a avec les bons voeux.

ewendel and BBThunderbolt like this.
  17. ewendel

ewendel Initiate (128) Feb 12, 2008 Washington
    Trader

Really appreciate the reply, @paysse. Was curious if you've chatted w/ Art of the Table at all about having bottles available for on-site consumption at the restaurant? I don't do wine, so I often lament that great restaurants in the area don't offer much in the way of great beer selection. (It's my understanding that your brewing space is underground in the same building as the new AotT spot, that's why I mention it.) Anyway, just a thought. Let's share some beers!

derkruk and distantmantra like this.
  18. distantmantra

Trader

AoT had a pretty decent beer list last time I was there, particularly for a restaurant of it's reputation/pricing structure. Not like a certain restaurant next to the Aurora Bridge who just stocks up on random European beers...

Altura also has a great beer list, for those looking at fine dining options.

19. sox203

sox203 Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2010 Washington

+1 for Altura, my favorite restaurant in the city.

20. sox203

sox203 Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2010 Washington

Where am I going?

paysse likes this.
  21. Joshbiir

Joshbiir Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2016 Washington

All of the sudden I just got very very stressed :wink:

paysse, vurt, NWer and 3 others like this.
  22. paysse

I feel like you guys really get me.

Also, re: AoTT, I'm not directly below them, they are around the corner, but they have long held down good food combined with great taste in beer. Art of the Table will hopefully be one of the places that ends up carrying Floodland beer in 2018. Re: Altura, fuck yes, it's an absolute favorite of mine. I don't know them but I have had nothing but extraordinary experiences eating there on the special occasions that I have had the chance to go all in on the tasting menu.

derkruk, chinochino, 66jzmstr and 4 others like this.
  23. stillill

stillill Initiate (39) Mar 6, 2016 Washington

Hopefully my Seattle zip code is enough to get me in. Signed up for mailings a few days ago.

24. paysse

I got a really good question over email, which was essentially whether or not two folks in a household should sign up for two memberships to be able to both attend a tour.

The details for tours aren't locked down, but members can absolutely sign up to bring a guest for those. There will be a flat fee for the tasting, and it's probable that I'll be able to allow more than 1 guest per member, so for example if you're best friend and her boyfriend are in town and want to come by you can sign up for 4 people and bring them. That's my goal at least, tour availability will be seasonal and will depend on my having some part time help, because right now it's mostly a one man operation with my buddy Jonathan helping out a day a week.

RelocatedOkie, Raj, Joshbiir and 7 others like this.
  25. Texwild

Texwild Initiate (74) May 1, 2008 Washington

In my opinion, Adam is creating something very special with Floodland and there is no doubt he is an amazing brewer/yeast cultivator/blender/barrel wrangler. I look forward to the journey.

cherche, EdwardAbbey, woemad and 6 others like this.
  26. ChugChugPass

ChugChugPass Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2017 Washington

Excited to hopefully make it in the club; I've become quite fond of the mixed culture/sour/fruited beers recently , well after Adam left HM so have never tried his beer. Hoping to change that!

27. distantmantra

Trader

You've probably had something from HM that he was involved in.

sanford_and_son and Texwild like this.
  28. ChugChugPass

ChugChugPass Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2017 Washington

Yeah, I suppose with how long some of these beers were fermenting, that's true.

Texwild and distantmantra like this.
  29. JasonJYoung

JasonJYoung Initiate (66) Jan 7, 2015 Washington
    Trader

I tell you what.....if Floodland produces anything close to Holy Mountain or (yes I'll say it) De Garde, those of us committing early will look like geniuses.

People complaining or skeptical of paying a new brewery offering a pre-production club membership, should take a look around the country at various "Whale" releases. Um, no thanks! I've had enough of the crap shows at HM releases, Fremont, and other places around the country.

I personally have a gut feeling about Floodland. Maybe he doesn't produce world class brews out the gate (maybe he does). If not, big whoopie! I'm putting my dollars behind a guy with a proven track record of skill and knowledge. All the other stuff required to become a top notch brewery, should develop over time by doing his own thing.

***Super Excited***

kemoarps, NWer, jpbebeau and 3 others like this.
  30. jpbebeau

Check your email, guys.

31. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Initiate (135) Nov 10, 2013 Washington

that was exhilarating!

jpbebeau likes this.
  32. derkruk

derkruk Initiate (28) Oct 22, 2004 Washington

Got mine!!!

33. drone

Trader

Signed up, looking forward to trying these out!

On another note, this VineSpring platform is awful, and I most definitely don't trust them with my CC information. Sending them an email now.

cherche likes this.
  34. distantmantra

Trader

Got mine. Happy days.

And it's not FOMO. I love being able to support my community directly. It doesn't feel the same when you're sending money cross country to some place you might never actually visit. At least for me.

#34 distantmantra, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    kemoarps, Joshbiir, jpbebeau and 3 others like this.
  35. kingsleyr

kingsleyr Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2005 Washington

already over 160 signed up

36. drone

Trader

aaand they're gone. Less than an hour.

37. Raj

Raj Disciple (334) Jun 25, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

I was confused by this I didn't get any sign up email just an email saying it was sold out...

38. JasonJYoung

JasonJYoung Initiate (66) Jan 7, 2015 Washington
    Trader

OK, I really don't understand this. I received the email at 10:11 am. Finished the registration process by 10:21. Recieved the message "sold out".

Timelines don't seem right. I kept attempting to sign up from Mobile phone. I highly doubt this would be a factor. So, the membership actually sold out in 10 minutes? Again, makes no sense.

Stunned and disappointed to say the least.

39. WA_Brian

I left for one hour, came back and email was 48 minutes old. Got in 6 minutes before the sold out email, which probably took some amount of time to write.

40. jpbebeau

Did the first one end up in spam?
    Pretty sure it wasn't sold out by 10:21. That's strange.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.