Flying Dog v. AB InBev

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Mongrel, Aug 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. opwog

opwog Zealot (586) Jun 16, 2008 Minnesota

To introduce a different line, which is what I had thought when I have walked by these before. Exactly as Samuel Adams and many other companies have done when they try to make a strategic shift to who they are marketing to. I never had reason to stop and physically pick up and look at any of those beers, but until seeing this thread, I always that that Flying Dog produced those beers.

tommyguz likes this.
  2. alex_hart

alex_hart Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2013 Oklahoma

this happened to me. I got the Wild Blue a while back to bring over to a buddies house thinking it was something craft that i hadnt seen before, and it was the most disappointing $8.99 of my life.

3. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Defender (657) Oct 22, 2010 Oklahoma

The concerning thing in this pic is that Shock Top looks to be the fast mover on this shelf.
    [​IMG]

LMT and regularjohn like this.
  4. leedorham

leedorham Crusader (742) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

I don't know about any of this, but Wild Blue is the purplest beer ever, and that's got to be good for something.

5. LopeJuice

LopeJuice Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2012 New York

I had a taste of the wild blue a while back and until reading this thread I thought it was made by Flying Dog. It was a terrible beer so I never even looked at the packaging after having a sip. Guess they got me...

6. Theniz

Theniz Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2012 Indiana

“If a consumer is surprised to learn that the beer they’re enjoying is brewed by Anheuser-Busch, it should be a happy discovery,” their statement said, “because our brewing credentials and quality standards are second to none in the industry.”

lol

RobertColianni and Mongrel like this.
  7. aderousseau

aderousseau Initiate (88) Jun 22, 2008 Arkansas
    Trader

Just as concerning is Avery's 6pks are merchandised beside Colorado Native, a Millercoors pretend crafty beer.

8. PeterJ

PeterJ Initiate (113) Dec 5, 2012 California

If an InBev sales rep asked them to put their beer next to the Flying Dog, it would have been to the right of FD, not the left. Colorado Native was purposely placed to the right of Avery by a rep, I can almost promise you that.

AB has tried to get me to carry the Wild beers but they are such shit that I couldn't even swallow the sip I took of Wild Blue. No, they didn't ask me to put it next to the Flying Dog.

9. beastmammoth

beastmammoth Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2010 New York

Why is that? Marketing studies I'm sure but just curious.

10. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

This type of "marketing" highlights AB/InBev to be at the pinnacle of corporate hypocracy. They go after Dogfish Head for a name that isn't all that similar and come up with packaging that, yes, will confuse the average American consumer who can't be bothered reading labels when there are pictures to look at for identification purposes. And AB/InBev knows a small outfit doesn't have the budget for a legal fight. If a craft brewer came up with a red white and blue label with the same style of printing that Bud cans have, they would have their legal department on it in a nanosecond. Screw them.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  11. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Zealot (565) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota

Yeah, wish my wife would learn that at some point. Always coming home with "lite" dressing or mayo. Gross.

12. rtrasr

rtrasr Disciple (326) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

I think Flying Dog has a legitimate grievance.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  13. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2004 Kentucky

Same people that confuse a 6 and a 9?

I think these are stylistically closer than the W6/MH case, but I agree, I dont think its an easy mistake to make. Many beers have dogs on them, only a few of them are Flying Dog.

14. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2004 Kentucky

Actually, the fastest mover is the empty slot to the right of Alaskan Amber.

15. chefkevlar

chefkevlar Aspirant (281) Apr 17, 2010 South Carolina

So this week I've learned that apparently people confuse Flying Dog beers for AB products and also think they are made in NC. Good to know.

16. Beeryurt

Beeryurt Devotee (413) Mar 8, 2013 Wisconsin

I work for a tissue company that has this happen to them all the time by knock off Chinese companies making their product look just like ours in hopes of confusing customers who don't look at something close enough to see its not the real product. We sue and if someone was making packages just like InBev they would have lawyers pulling the product from the shelves in seconds.

17. PeterJ

PeterJ Initiate (113) Dec 5, 2012 California

Most consumers' eyes move to the right when they're looking at a shelf with product on it. The most coveted spot on a store shelf is eye level middle right. That's why if a store is featuring a certain item you will probably find it to the right of its competitor.

beastmammoth likes this.
  18. solo103

solo103 Disciple (330) Apr 8, 2012 Florida
    Trader

Still they have copyright and brand protection from people trying to rip off what they have going. Its very easy to tell that this should be a easy shut and closed case and AB should have to change their packaging. There is a good link on the Golden Rod vs Golden Road thread on this site that list the guidelines for copyright infringement .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.