Flying Monkeys

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BeerGlassesCollector, Jan 31, 2018.

1. BeerGlassesCollector

BeerGlassesCollector Zealot (522) Nov 11, 2002 Cyprus
    Trader

Hello fellow BAs,

Recently I got a few Flying Monkeys beers and I was wondering if any is worth ageing/cellaring.

I have the Acadian Groove, the Aurora Heart and soon (thnx to @Coronaeus) the Chocolate Manifesto. Any recommendations on which one of the three (if any) is worth ageing a few years?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you in advance

2. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Disciple (350) Oct 24, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)
    Trader

The ChocoFesto is ridiculously sweet, depending on the batch I guess. Time likely wouldn't hurt that. I'd actually be really curious to see what that tastes like in 5 years if it's dried out at all. I couldn't imagine finishing a whole bottle of it without a few friends.

BeerGlassesCollector likes this.
  3. TorontoFrank

TorontoFrank Initiate (18) Aug 28, 2017 Ontario (Canada)

I don't think aging these particular beers will add any positive changes. Ive never felt FM makes particularly complex beers, I would drink fresh for maximum effect. I do have a bottle of INVICTUS in the cellar I've been sitting on for a couple years for no particular special occasion.

I still have last years Chocolate manifesto as well as this years, I'll do you a solid and crack them both today and let you know what I think. Been looking for a reason. This seems good enough!

4. BeerGlassesCollector

BeerGlassesCollector Zealot (522) Nov 11, 2002 Cyprus
    Trader

Excellent!!!

Well... CHEERS friend! Let me know what you discover

5. TorontoFrank

TorontoFrank Initiate (18) Aug 28, 2017 Ontario (Canada)

Cracked open last years and this years bottles yesterday. I had a couple friends over and the overwhelming opinion was that the fresher bottle tasted better.

They both looked identical and poured the same, it just came down to the taste. The aged bottle was a little more chalky and I thought a tiny bit bitter at the end.

All in all though, I didn't love the beer in general, regardless of vintage.

Hope that helped!

BeerGlassesCollector likes this.
  6. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Crusader (752) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Trader

I think the good thing about Manifesto is that they started bottling it in 473ml bottles instead of the 750ml you used to have to buy. It makes it far more likely you can get through it on your own.

I like Manifesto. I’d say it is the only FM beer I really do like. I didn’t splurge on Invictus though which I have heard is quite good. All their adjunct beers are heavy on the adjunct. This one is all chocolate. Acadian Groove is all maple El Toro is like chewing on a cedar shingle. If you like bold adjunct flavours, FM is for you.

Cheers!