Foam Brewers

Discussion in 'New England' started by cavedave, Jun 6, 2016.

1. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,191) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Came back from our annual camping trip a day early due to the nasty weather. Yesterday we visited a brewery that positively blew us away. Foam Brewers in Burlington. Super tasty beers, friendly folks, great venue, can't wait to go back my next time in Vt.

Anyone else loving these guys? If you haven't visited I suggest you do so post haste. That is all. Cheers!

2. timotao

timotao Disciple (393) Sep 16, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Definitely gonna visit next time I'm up there. Been hearing good things about them.

cavedave likes this.
  3. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,191) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Believe them.

timotao likes this.
  4. BeerTwigs

BeerTwigs Disciple (321) Jan 8, 2009 New York

Heading up in a few weeks, glad I read this.

5. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (212) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

The rich get richer.

JordonHoltzman likes this.
  6. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (232) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont
    Beer Trader

One of my new faves for wild beers. Am doing some consulting for them on a pairing menu for cheeses with their beers and charcuterie. That way you can order individual pairings based on your preferences. Lovely space, a variety of tap offerings, and those killer sunsets! And rare plentiful parking for a place downtown. Check it out.

7. blisscent

blisscent Defender (640) Aug 16, 2015 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Will the wild beers be available at their tap room?

8. duchessedubourg

Beer Trader

They are serving draft versions periodically of the bottle-conditioned wilds from their sister blendery/barrel facility on Pine St. (No public access there so far.) They served their first, Orange Dot, last week. Bottles to come.

jhavs and blisscent like this.
  9. lic217

lic217 Champion (811) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Thanks for the heads up. Just checked out their webpage. Sounds like some interesting brews. Great webpage and the place looks nice. Two good signs that they take pride in what they do.

blisscent likes this.
  10. BumpkinBrewer

BumpkinBrewer Disciple (353) Jan 6, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Cannot agree with OP more. Just got back from a guys weekend and this place blew us away. We were walking down by the waterfront and saw pointing sign that said Brewery. What a surprise! Their flagship, Saison de Foam, is a delicious saison that is reminiscent of Oxbow's pale ale. Their IPA's can run with the big dogs and the pilsner was spot on. Do not pass this place up.

-I'm no affiliated in any way with FOAM just a pleasantly surprised patron.

11. TheElectricOne

TheElectricOne Defender (669) Jan 31, 2015 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Wow. Have been to, and tried, lots of Vermont hot spots over the last few years. Foam is legit. I didn't get to try any of the wilds, but Built to Spill and Patterns and Pictures were both awesome DIPAs. The rich get richer indeed.

CraigMack61, Seany and jhavs like this.
  12. duchessedubourg

Beer Trader

Orange Dot bottles released today (sour fermented with honey & roasted Cara Cara oranges.) Pink Dot is now on tap - raspberry sour ale with ginger. Gorgeous color and balance. Their mango kombucha is also terrific.

Seany, cavedave and jhavs like this.
  13. Seany

Seany Initiate (185) Sep 27, 2005 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Stopped by here Saturday. Really nice space. Had the pink dot and 2 different DIPA's. All 3 were very, very good. Will certainly be a regular stop when visiting Burlington.

cavedave likes this.
  14. sosbombs

sosbombs Initiate (171) Jan 12, 2016 Vermont

Why can't we get a place like this to open in Southern VT?

15. ajthegreat

ajthegreat Initiate (178) Nov 11, 2010 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Do they fill any 750's or do they have to be their own? Couldn't find any of the info on their website. Really hoping to make it there on Sunday.

duchessedubourg likes this.
  16. duchessedubourg

Beer Trader

Dunno, but theirs are 750ml swing tops a la Hill Farmstead's.

17. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Zealot (527) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Thx for the tip @cavedave -- the space is really nice -- old mill feel with exposed brick/beams and industrial welded steel decor w/the brew house in one corner. They were brewing yesterday when we were there -- the place smelled awesome...and the beers are excellent.
    [​IMG]

18. BoldRulerVT

BoldRulerVT Champion (837) Oct 2, 2013 Vermont

The House of Fermentology beers are incredible. Pink Dot on Thursday was stunning.

Seany and cavedave like this.
  19. Seany

Seany Initiate (185) Sep 27, 2005 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

A little late for Sunday, but they do indeed fill any clean 750.

ajthegreat likes this.
  20. jjboesen

jjboesen Meyvn (1,210) Feb 1, 2002 Maryland
    Subscriber

Lucky for me I have friends in Vermont. Time to pay a visit.

Kyle424 likes this.
  21. lalancette7

lalancette7 Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2015 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Holy shit this place is really great. Short wait for growlers and full pours in a great environment with some great outside seating. Anyone coming to Burlington should not miss Foam. It's up their with Hill and the alchemist and honestly I'd prefer it because it was so easy to get growlers and a few beers onsite.

CraigMack61 likes this.
  22. lalancette7

lalancette7 Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2015 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Built to spill and pavement were phenomenal and a pour of Disco Lemonade was awesome as well as Yellow Dot. Again I can't say enough good things about this place.

TBonez477 likes this.
  23. mecmd

mecmd Crusader (714) Jan 7, 2012 Georgia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Built to Spill (Citra and Galaxy IPA) and Pavement (Citra and Mosaic) are excellent IPAs. Nice place with great outdoor seating in the evening watching the sunset.

VABA likes this.
  24. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Initiate (180) Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

I am going to Burlington for the first time ever this month and I am super excited about visiting Foam. It looks like such an amazing spot!

Someone in the Burlington VT trip thread said they do fill 32 oz growlers, just upcharge a bit since it's more beer. Is that correct?

TJRoar likes this.
  25. BigStein88

BigStein88 Disciple (305) Nov 5, 2007 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

They will fill any 750's and they will also fill 32oz, though you need to bring your own top for those.

26. BigStein88

BigStein88 Disciple (305) Nov 5, 2007 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Not sure where you are located, but get over to River Roost and Big Fatty's in White River Junction. Mark is doing some excellent beers at River Roost and Fatty's has the best tap list you will find that far south. Last time I was there they had a couple HF beers, Singlecut and some other stuff. They also do crowler fills of a bunch of stuff. Both places share the same parking lot, so very convenient.

27. jonphisher

jonphisher Initiate (188) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Got a couple of growlers from a friend this week from these guys. Amazing stuff that seems to be flying under the radar, for you locals I hope it stays that way. Cheers.

28. sosbombs

sosbombs Initiate (171) Jan 12, 2016 Vermont

Just two hours north. Treehouse is closer.

29. BoldRulerVT

BoldRulerVT Champion (837) Oct 2, 2013 Vermont

It's only been open a few months. They're flat out incredible especially the HoF stuff.

30. duchessedubourg

Beer Trader

D
    Drinking an HOF Disco Lemonade right now. Sublime.

BoldRulerVT likes this.
  31. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (1,623) Jun 18, 2010 New York

I was lucky enough to swing by the brewery for the Funk on the River kickoff event for the VT Craft Festival last month. Pink Dot was darned good. I'll be watching these guys.

32. MosaicDrops

MosaicDrops Aspirant (229) Jun 4, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Has Foam indicated how much longer they think Pink Dot will need to condition before it's released?

33. avas

avas Disciple (327) Apr 30, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Visited Foam yesterday. As others have mentioned, no flights, but if you go with a group and don't mind sharing, 8oz pours allow you to try a few things.

We had Built to Spill, Pavement, and HoF's Yellow Dot... The two DIPAs were absolutely fantastic. Very fruit-forward, super easy-drinking for the style. Reminiscent of what those fellows out in Greensboro Bend are doing. Yellow Dot was just insane...

Our only complaint is that they left about 3 inches of empty space at the top of the growlers we picked up. Not a huge issue, but we're definitely not gonna let these sit for more than a day or two.

Oh, and if you do happen to visit on an empty stomach, don't sleep on the cheese platter!

cavedave and NiceBeerCans like this.
  34. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Aspirant (280) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

The one place you can say "Excuse me bartender, there isn't enough FOAM in my glass."

aranton likes this.
  35. MachIPA

MachIPA Aspirant (288) Feb 25, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Heading to Foam on Friday. I can't wait.

36. BranfordBound

BranfordBound Poo-Bah (1,501) Apr 7, 2010 Connecticut

Went on Thursday night, based on word of mouth this place was my #1 destination. Was not let down in any way. Built to Spill was the exact opposite of its name, do not spill of drop of this! I thought Pavement was a notch better, but maybe that's just my palate/taste preference.

Yellow Dot (which wasn't on the menu but could still be ordered) really blew me away. So tart and sour, funky, lemony, floral, bit of herbs and tea. Killer brewery!

CraigMack61 likes this.
  37. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Devotee (443) May 17, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Went here last week, during my VT beer excursion. Of all the beers I had (all breweries), Pavement was the best!

BigStein88 likes this.
  38. TBonez477

TBonez477 Defender (626) Jan 15, 2015 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Pavement was the best beer I've had this week, followed by Trillium Mettle and Tree House Sap for reference...

Hopheadhiker and VABA like this.
  39. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Initiate (180) Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

Damn you guys are getting me excited for my trip to Burlington next Friday!

TBonez477 likes this.
  40. ScottDawg7

ScottDawg7 Initiate (156) Jul 27, 2015 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Can't wait to visit Foam based on reviews, plan to visit next Friday 8/19.

NYR-Zuuuuc and TBonez477 like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.