Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

FOBAB 11/16/2013

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by chronie, Jul 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobCobb

BobCobb Disciple (300) Jul 10, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Both ba abraxas and backyard were at second session but had long lines immediately. Never saw bcbs barleywine.

Also, they gave you the plastic cup in place of the glass?

2. Chiefilliniwek

Chiefilliniwek Initiate (83) Mar 4, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Only 364 days till next FoBab!!

hey5hitgoose and funhog like this.
  3. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Devotee (490) Jan 2, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

I saw some long lines where BA Abraxas was scheduled to be, there was enough good beer to not waste time there.
    Yeah. I would say about 50 of us got plastic disposable cups instead of what looked like glass. In my old age, my memory isn't too strong so something to take home reminds me I made the trip up here.

4. DooshBagalow

DooshBagalow Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I was in the ridiculously long line for BA Abraxas and about 7 or 8 people behind when it kicked. Big thanks to the admissions table for the 40-minute delay of getting in due to that line. Also missed Fuzzy and Blueberry Flanders and Backyard BCBS.

5. Rihup

Rihup Devotee (464) Oct 7, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

At one point I thought I had crossed into another dimension filled with lumberjack angles drinking the sweet nectars of the gods.

Dontcounttoday likes this.
  6. steebo777

steebo777 Zealot (511) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

I got there at 5:25, and was in the event drinking at 6:12, so not too bad considering the massive line. Elevators worked well, all lines moved fast (except BCS Backyard and BA Abraxas) and the event was run flawless IMO. I had some killer stuff and was rarely disappointed (HA BA Baume being the rare exception, that was awful). Even scored a Utopias bottle as a souvenir! Well done ICBG.

7. Askchucky

Askchucky Initiate (195) May 2, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Went to 1st session. Great event. Glad I took a water break for about 30 mins, and the rain when I left sobered me up.

BCS Barleywine through the coffee was amazing. Offcolor rattler was right up there also.

Never felt too crowded.
    Can't wait for next year.

8. jmgrub

jmgrub Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2010 California

Clare's. Thirsty. That is all.

9. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Aspirant (202) Sep 19, 2012 Illinois

Only thing I/we missed in the 2nd session that was awesome was the BCBS Barleywine through the Inteligentsia Randall. . .

I was right at the front for the Backyard BCBS line, then hopped into the BA Abraxas line...WOW that BA Abraxas is somethin insane, was not expecting that much. Backyard BCBS was solid but very sweet.

Drainpours - - Firestone Walker Agrestic Ale - bleh, granted it was like room temp., but still not good flavor/body
    Oskar Blues Gubna in Tequila barrels I wanna say- eww

BA Pipeworks was pretty solid, could use a LITTLE more body.
    BA Blot out the Sun - Had a funky smell, was alright.

It seemed at least a few kegs were straight foam, but I guess thats to be expected.
    The 4oz pour of Utopias I got from the man on stage at the end of the night was good.

10. PlayaPlaya

I don't see how you could have missed Blueberry Flanders if you really wanted it in the 2nd session. I got a pour, after I forgot about it, about an hour into the event.
    It was solid, as was Light side and Dark side...

11. jtg5678

jtg5678 Aspirant (210) Nov 27, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I sort of dropped the ball and didn't pay attention to the "must-haves", though I did get to have Backyard which was something to behold. Was in line when BA Abraxas kicked, however I am fortunate enough to have had it in the past. Would have liked to try Fuzzy and Cthulu, along with some others, but overall I had a good time, even if it was sometimes difficult to tell a line from a hoard of people standing.

Next year I'll get there earlier, put 3-4 "must-haves" on my list and hit those ASAP, then wander the rest of the event.

12. incubuscience

incubuscience Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2012 Illinois

BCS Barleywine wasn't pumping in the 2nd. They were randalling regular bcs through Serrano (?) peppers instead.

And, yeah: Fuzzy was easily best in show.

13. JPortillo

JPortillo Initiate (187) Mar 12, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

That beer was fantastic surprised nobody was really talking about it

14. incubuscience

Anybody know if Fuzzy was ever/will ever be bottled?
    I need more of that in my life.

15. iadler

iadler Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Wish I could have tried Fuzzy. That was the one beer I'm sad I missed out.

16. immobilisme

immobilisme Aspirant (231) Nov 8, 2005 Illinois

My only small complaint is that there wasn't any good signage saying that the sours and Bourbon County stuff was in another room. Ran around for 5 minutes before Alum pointed us in the right direction.

Serrano randall BCBS was pretty awesome. I had a small amount of something through the coffee randall, but they seemed to be having a lot of problems with it. It was an amazing coffee bomb whatever it was.

Clare's was awesome as always, Framboise de Amarosa was great, there was no line for Track #10 lol. It seemed that they ran out of Allagash Resurgam in the early session possibly? Or it was like Raspberry Wild One last year.

Rum barrels were the worst in show. Oskar Blues rum Ten Fidy and the Bell's beer were both turrible.

Also, fuzzyfuzzyfuzzyfuzzy.

17. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Initiate (55) Apr 16, 2005 California

I wasn't personally bothered that I was given a plastic cup only because the last thing I need in my life is more beer glasses, but it just seemed like a strange problem to have. I mean, you know exactly how many people are attending the event - how do you not have the appropriate amount of glassware?

OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  18. PlayaPlaya

Upland Blackberry was solid as well. . .

hey5hitgoose likes this.
  19. thewimperoo

thewimperoo Zealot (536) Oct 1, 2006 Illinois

That Bell's Rum Porter was disgusting. Tasted like permanent marker.

There was another beer I had that tasted like broccoli. Somebody handed it to me and said I had to try it for as bad as it was. I think they said it was the Blacklist Honeysuckle Lambic, but based on other people saying it was decent I'm not sure.

20. nickMB

nickMB Disciple (310) Nov 17, 2009 Illinois

other random thoughts -
    Dark Horse 6 legs yaddy - It was probably an awesome beer at some point, was it left in barrels for like 3 years in a hot attic? It had almost no flavor.
    One Trick Pony Kentucky something - absolutely delicious, chris and those guys are f*ckin killing it. Transient & one trick pony should explode in 2014.
    Avery bottled sours - it turns out they're not worth trading for.
    Utopias - glad I got my 20 dollar pour, and glad I never have to buy an over priced bottled of maple syrup fire water (it was actually pretty good but I dont see ever wanting more then 2 oz of it).
    Lost Abbey Framboise - ya that was f*ckin unreal.
    Whoever made the aquavit barrel aged beer - nicely done, people probably skipped it but it was beautifully bizarre beer. Considering its like the malort of norway this beer had to be polarizing. I love the breweries using non-traditional barrels, would of liked to try the ten ninety tabasco barrel beer but I forgot.
    Bear Republic - bubba & the other one were delicious.
    Bells Brett champion....no chance, it was great but its like maybe a 7.5/10.
    Perennial - I love almost everything you make but la boheme kriek I did not, no one can bat 1K.

Wonderful times as always, well run, great brews, great folks, and fun times. yea chicago & yea beer.

21. nickMB

that honeysuckle one was polarizing, I loathed it while lots of folks were raving. It tasted like sugar rich cough drops.

22. incubuscience

Where was that? I couldn't find it all night.

23. Barrylicious

Barrylicious Initiate (16) Apr 15, 2011 Illinois

Haha, that's exactly how I felt. I didn't dislike it but I certainly don't need a bottle of it.

Also that Honeysuckle Lambic was awful. Worst beer of the event for me, by a longshot.

24. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

My personal favorites were Hair of the Dog Matt, Russian River Framboise for a Cure, Cycle Brewing RareR D.O.S., and all of the Jester King Sour Saisons...
    :rolling_eyes: I'm a touch jealous I missed this year, but I'm glad everyone had fun. Cheers!

25. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

totally agreed. that beer had zero flavour and if i wind up at 4 elf i will not be buying bottles.

fobab is the wrong setting to enjoy utopias. i want to sit in an armchair with a cigar and 2-3oz or so of it.

this is one of the beers (along with BA scurry) that i regret missing.

was that the prickly pear stout? i was surprised how well it worked.

26. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

also, does anyone have a full list of the winners? let's just say my listening went in and out a bit...

27. kenm2118

kenm2118 Initiate (139) Apr 17, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I feel like a true FIB, but does anyone have or know where the winners from yesterday are listed?

All I see is last years winners (2012). Thanks

28. nickMB

agree, totally the wrong setting for utopias as it is a beer that requires a smoking jacket and a sunday paper. Prickly pear stout was pretty damn good but I was talking tartare. It was pretty damn complex berliner. My two missed regrets are the BA Scurry & raddlersnake, hopefully they show at at northdown someday in the near future.

29. kenm2118

Beer Trader

:slight_smile:
    You and I are on the same page.

30. kodt

kodt Zealot (509) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois

My complaints:

1. They didn't open the stairs right away leading to a huge line waiting for the elevator. This happens every time a beer event is held in the skyline loft...

2. They ran out of glasses and I was handed a plastic cup. This was around 6:30

3. They opened the stairs (very good choice) but then once you get up there you were behind the curtains in the sour room with no directions on where to go. You just had to crawl through the curtain somewhere. No big deal, but it felt like we were sneaking in. No-one was directing you were to go.

That said I had a great time trying out some beers. I avoided the really long lines so no Abraxas, Backyard, Utopias, BA Blot out the Sun for me, but I had plenty of great beers with no wait.

My highlights were:

Flossmoor Station BA Fireside Chat - awesome flavor, sweet, a little barrel, flavorful smooth. An almost perfect barleywine.

Dark Horse BBPt5 - Very very smooth, great flavor without the overpowering bourbon

One Trick Pony Kentucky Mountain - yum, very drinkable

Deschutes The Dissident - really enjoyed this one, great example of the style

New Holland Smaug's Breath - smooth with a slight burn from the peppers, not too much pepper. I really enjoyed it.

New Belgium / Upland The Light Side - pretty tasty, refreshing tartness

31. quinnsi

quinnsi Aspirant (239) Nov 22, 2008 Illinois

tinypyramids and funhog like this.
  32. quinnsi

quinnsi Aspirant (239) Nov 22, 2008 Illinois

Yep, it will be.

hey5hitgoose likes this.
  33. incubuscience

That Fireside Chat was sublime.

kodt likes this.
  34. kenm2118

Beer Trader

35. incubuscience

Nice.
    Also, ISO!

hey5hitgoose likes this.
  36. crossovert

crossovert Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

i had some "pink" beer form gi that tasted like bugspray, had another beer that smelled like chinese food. There were a few stinkers out there.

37. jefeld

jefeld Initiate (168) Mar 31, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

The teddy bear kisses was extremely disappointing, sadly.

38. raymo55

raymo55 Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Did anyone else notice the dude pouring the Side Project stuff in the first session was a total douche? Slow as hell...wondering eyes...spilling Fuzzy and Blueberry Flanders! Not sure if he was drunk or high...or just a complete asshat!

#678 raymo55, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  39. jefeld

jefeld Initiate (168) Mar 31, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

shame that they match the single worst volunteer with the single best product in the entire event, lol.

robbiemoy13 and nickMB like this.
  40. nickMB

I assume your talking about the guy with white dude dreds..... his 5 oz pours also helped it kick in 20 minutes. If I was running an event, I'm not sure I'd give a white guy in dreds any sort of responsibility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.